Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sat nav
beaver34

posted on 21/4/14 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
sat nav

disabled my current tom tom via the gear knob after 3 years service

now need a new one, has anyone used the new go 400 and what are your thoughts if so?

thanks

jacko

posted on 21/4/14 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have just bought a Garmin 52lm i was going for a tomtom but you have to pay for speed cam up dates but not with the garmin
+ free map updates
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 21/4/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Although I dislike their customer support, and the way you have to use one email address per device (or you did last time I had to use tomtom home), I still find tomTom the best satnav. However, I now have the TomTom app on my iphone and use that in a bracket in the car. I also have a Parrot 9200 and they link well together with the directions coming out via the car stereo. The app gives free map upgrades for life for less than the price of an annual map update for a standalone device. And it's useful to have it with me wherever I am - not just in my own car.

If you go for a new satnav try to get one with free lifetime map upgrades.

beaver34

posted on 21/4/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
Although I dislike their customer support, and the way you have to use one email address per device (or you did last time I had to use tomtom home), I still find tomTom the best satnav. However, I now have the TomTom app on my iphone and use that in a bracket in the car. I also have a Parrot 9200 and they link well together with the directions coming out via the car stereo. The app gives free map upgrades for life for less than the price of an annual map update for a standalone device. And it's useful to have it with me wherever I am - not just in my own car.

If you go for a new satnav try to get one with free lifetime map upgrades.

the new 400 has and its europe too which i need,

i do have an iphone but the charge point is not great and my daily drive is an elise and there are not many great mount kits as far as i can see for it

geoff shep

posted on 22/4/14 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, the phone needs to be plugged in or it will run down v quickly with TomTom running. TomTomWestern Europe is also available for iphone but it's a large file - about 2 Gb I think, so it could take up more than it's fair share of storage space. An advantage of the app is that, once purchased, it is available for all your ios devices. And thinking about the file size thing, you could purchase a particular area and use it when required and then delete it. It would still be available to download later when needed.

Just looked at the TT Go 400 - I assume that you need a data signal on your phone for the traffic? If you want traffic, another option is one of these http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/your-drive/accessories/most-popular/traffic-receiver-9UUC.002.00.2/ (available for about £23 on ebay) - not compatible with the Go 400 I think but then you wouldn't need the smartphone connectivity so you go for a cheaper device.

snakebelly

posted on 22/4/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for Garmin, over the last 2 years both Tom Toms in my household have been changed for Garmins. Wouldn't go back to Tom Tom after a shocking customer support fiasco that ended in me taking a hammer to my Tom Tom just to try and relieve the stress of dealing with Tom Tom technical support :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.