Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Go Pro Hero3 Silver+ or Black+?
smitht82

posted on 23/4/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Go Pro Hero3 Silver+ or Black+?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a GoPro and am stuck between the Silver+ and Black+. My mate has a standard Hero3 Silver (non +) and it works well, but i'm thinking the black should be better for onboard videos when going out for a blat due to the 1080p. However, I can get a Silver+ for £180 vs a Black+ for £255. The black adds a wireless remote, but then i've got the GoPro app on my phone which also does this.

Can anyone that owns either model let me know if its worth spending the extra for the Black+?

** The reason for choosing the GoPro is that I like the preview mode and the wireless on off.

[Edited on 23/4/14 by smitht82]

daniel mason

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
i have the hd hero 2 with lcd back pack rear screen.its pretty faultless really

HowardB

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I treated myself to the 3+ black, awesome,.. I mean stunning, fantastic clarity, and does 4k video so it wont be obsolete any time soon.

The app is fantastic too, and there is free editing software also.

worth the extra few quid, no idea as I have not tried any others, but I am impressed with the 3+black

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

beaver34

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a silver does 1080p, didn't see the point of the black really, I have the go pro app on phone so easy to control

The 4k black thing inhave no use for my pc does not support it and I don't have the editing software to use that feature

Matt21

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
theyre all 1080p

its the fps that's different

I have the white, only does 1080p at 30fps

I believe the silver and black do 1080p at 30 and 60fps

though iv never noticed any difference apart from when pausing it the picture is slightly sharper

if you want 4k, get the black, if you want 1080p get the silver

your phone works as a better remote than the one with the black as you can see what the camera is doing on your phone

ChrisW

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I *HAD* the white edition, Christmas present from the Mrs. Shot loads of footage with it on my hexacopter. Sadly it was lost somewhere in Hackney due to a crash, highly annoying!

I intend to replace it with a black. Wish I'd hinted to the Mrs to go for that one in the first place but someone else paying and all that meant I just said buy the cheapest one. In hindsight, the price difference vs features favours the black imho.

Be aware that the 4k mode on the black is at a max of 15fps so although technically it is 4k resolution it's not really 4k. You have to drop to 2.7k to get a full 25fps (or 30 in USA mode). The stills camera is of course a lot better on the black.

Also be aware that the 'trade price' of a UK model is ~£300, or so I'm lead to believe. Apparently the £250-ones are imports, not that it really matters of course.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nurburg2006

posted on 24/4/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Currys have the black+ with £100 pounds off at the mo it looks like Instore only great price of £260
ashg

posted on 24/4/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
i have the black + its excellent

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

smitht82

posted on 24/4/14 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I meant 60fps with the 1080p which I believe is the difference with the Black. Also the additional 2m pixels should improve things a little on the camera front. I've also now been informed that the Black+ has protune on board, where as they have removed this feature on the Silver+.

Decisions decisions lol :-)

Swaying towards the Black+

ashg

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Do it once do it right!

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently there's a new GoPro coming soon - even more choices!

yellowcab

posted on 24/4/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Love them bringing new GoPros out willy-nilly, as it forces down the price of a GoProHERO2 which is more than adequate for any track day/ car/ race video
smitht82

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nurburg2006
Currys have the black+ with £100 pounds off at the mo it looks like Instore only great price of £260

Popped in to my local Curry's and no offers in store or on their system. Looks like you got a 1 off

jeffw

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
Do it once do it right!

lol....

DavidW

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a white edition. The iPhone app remote is excellent so don't miss the remote.
yellowcab

posted on 24/4/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Even at circuits with no wifi, nor barely a 3g signal?
SteveRST

posted on 25/4/14 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

Yeah. The GoPro and your smartphone form their own wireless network. No phone reception or web access is involved at all.

ChrisW

posted on 25/4/14 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

Yeah. The GoPro and your smartphone form their own wireless network. No phone reception or web access is involved at all.

+1 on this. I speak from personal experience. It's not the most reliable thing in the world, and the range sucks, but it does work.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smitht82

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the comments guys. I've decided to go for the Black as if I want to recoup some of the cost difference then I could always sell off the WiFi remote. The thing that sold it to me is the superview option which will provide more 'action' due to its extra width.

PS: for anyone thinking of getting one of these duo your research on the MicroSD cards as the SDHC 32gb (Lexar) seem to be the one of choice as their have been issues with ScanDisc SDXC 64gb cards getting fried.

vexed

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
They are brilliant cameras. I have just replaced my 2 for a Black 3+ and it copes with changing light levels much better and is sharper
vexed

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
As said above- the app is great and actually does more than the remote does. I have barely used the remote!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.