CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Haven't even seen the race but IMHO opinion after qualifying he acted like a knob and just walked away from his teammate without congratulating him and then was a sulky twat in the interview afterwards.
Having said that I'm biased because I've not liked him since day one although if his missus played her cards right she could have me

slingshot2000

posted on 26/5/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^ exactly what he said ! !

Wheels244

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a massive Lewis fan, his aggressive driving style really reignited my interest in F1 years ago.
I've defended him on here a number of times.
I'm sure he'll be world champion this year, and I'm looking forward to that.
However I've seen traits in Lewis over the last 2 or 3 races that I don't like.
I've been incredibly competitive in the sports I have been part of, rugby, martial arts, motor racing - albeit at amateur level, but never forgot manners.

Congratulating the winner, shaking hands etc shows you are the bigger man especially in contravercial circumstances.
You don't have like the people you work with, I'm sure most of us have some of them, but you should be professional and courteous.

Manners cost nothing.

Let the driving do the talking.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

jwhatley

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
If i remember rightly. When Nico was beaten to pole, and beaten in the race he acted near enough in the same manner. No congrats, no emotion. He just has a different way of expressing it when interviewed.

This feeling between them has been like this since Bahrain when Nico used an engine setting he was not meant to use to get more power from the engine. Lewis returned the favour in Spain, hence the bad feeling between them at the moment.

They are racers, they aim to win and thats it, second is no good to them.

What everyone has to go from is the media coverage of it. They love an inter-team battle, twisting words, only showing parts of an interview that are interesting. Half the things the media are saying probably didnt happen, all based on hear say....

Go back to the Senna/Prost feud.... listen to some of the interviews, they are far worse than anything these days. There was no publicity training back then! And if you think Senna "dealt with it on track" like the media say, then i suggest you have a look back at some of his interviews!

Saying that, look at a few Prost interviews.... you think lewis is a child?? check some of the things out he used to say!

What I'm trying to say is that its no different to how it used to be, its a highly competitive extremely popular formula, with one of the largest media coverages in the world. It would be exactly the same 15-20 years ago if the media coverage/social media/forums were as popular and readily available as they are today.

steve m

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I am also not a Lewis fan hes a whinger, and is always complaing about someone or some other related problem, if defeated
he must be known as the second Alonso !

He also sulks like a girl

But at a track like Monaco, whoever is in front from the Pole, HAS to win unless they cock up or break the car, as overtaking is pretty well zero

So, had he worked harder on Saturday, and not left it untill the last lap to run a flyer, he would of been on pole, and hence won the race (in theory)

I like Nico, who seems to have a much nicer attitude, hope he wins the title

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

sdh2903

posted on 26/5/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Grow up. The man is an Elite sportsman who wants to win above all else...and he has to have the attitude to do that. Don't forget he drove most of the last section of the race with one eye shut and still held the Red Bull behind him.....try driving with one eye next time you are out in the Kit!

Grow up! For having an opinion?

When your competing Jeff, are you a complete Pratt if you lose or do you have a bit of class and congratulate the winner?

Dopdog

posted on 26/5/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Grow up. The man is an Elite sportsman who wants to win above all else...and he has to have the attitude to do that. Don't forget he drove most of the last section of the race with one eye shut and still held the Red Bull behind him.....try driving with one eye next time you are out in the Kit!

Grow up! For having an opinion?

When your competing Jeff, are you a complete Pratt if you lose or do you have a bit of class and congratulate the winner?

I think there is a little bit more at stake in F1 than a sunday sprint for a plastic pot

sdh2903

posted on 26/5/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Same principles of sportsmanship apply in my book, plastic pot or not
Surrey Dave

posted on 26/5/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Niki Lauda

No one can doubt Niki Lauda's credentials as a driver and sportsman, he's obviously not impressed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27569287

Surrey Dave

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
And More.

http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/9326398/Lauda-has-issue-with-Hamilton-s-mood
craig1410

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not really a Hamilton fan but I've warmed to him a little over the years as he has matured a bit. However, he has an uncanny habit of reminding me every so often that he is definitely not someone who I would ever be able to get along with were our paths to cross. Too much "gangsta man". Too much of a legend in his own mind. Too many self-comparisons to Senna.

I'm also a very competitive person (Badminton, Squash, Racketball, Tennis, BJJ, Karting etc.) and have competed at one time or another in all these sports. I hate to lose! Period! I have thrown racquets around, shouted at myself, even hit myself on the leg with my racquet sometimes in the heat of battle. I have been beaten by the better player many times and have lost matches I should have won a few times as well. I have played people who I have liked and respected and also those who I have disliked. However, I have never allowed the anger or disappointment I have felt about my own performance or that of others to affect my sportsmanship in the way Hamilton displayed this past weekend.

What Hamilton has yet to learn is that the game starts and ends far away from the venue. It starts and ends in the minds of the players. Rosberg is undoubtedly playing mind games and so far he appears to be showing Hamilton a clean pair of heels in that department. Nico was clearly disappointed in recent races but he turned that negative emotion into a positive attitude where he demanded more of himself. I won't get into the whole yellow flag business but on balance I don't think this was intentional and he was cleared by the stewards after all. What I think he did do very intentionally is make the most of the resulting situation by winding Lewis up no end just by being happy and celebrating. What Lewis should have done is take all the fuel from that fire by being polite and humble ("well done, I'll get you next time old boy!" ) yet focussed and determined for the race. That's what Nico had done previously and it is far better than letting your opponent see your wound and let them twist the knife in it. I even heard that Lewis was complaining to the team that Nico playing keepie-uppie with his football was making too much noise on the garage wall and was breaking his concentration! Really?? I'm surprised he didn't call the police and try to get an ASBO issued...

Nico's a smart guy and Lewis is going to have to up his gamesmanship a notch if he's going to win the WDC this year. He has the speed to win but he definitely needs a bit more guile.

[Edited on 26/5/2014 by craig1410]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I do not really see the problem here... All team mates moan and winge, the only difference here is they (the media) seem to be broadcasting most of Hamiltons messages and very little from other teams.

Vettal constantly winged about Webber but i dont see people jumping on that band wagon.

Fact is drivers winge but it's down to the media that make it look like a problem.

[Edited on 5/26/2014 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

02GF74

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
these aren't "normal people" like us otherwise any of us could be competing on the F1 track - so is it right to judge them by the same standards?

they put their lives at risk to be at the top of their sport so if LH felt that his chance of being pole was taken away (I am no expert on F1 but read that pole at monaco almost guarantees a win), I see no reason why he should not show his disappointment and sulk.

as already said, he can ofcourse be more sportmanslike but I am not aware of this being a requirement to compete in F1, uiltimately it is perfromance on the track that counts, not personality.

^^^ and wot he said.

We in Britain should be cheering him on, it will be a long time before we get a British driver with his talent. (I could be totally wrong here so let's wait and see)

[Edited on 26/5/14 by 02GF74]

craig1410

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the media have over-inflated the spat between Hamilton and Rosberg on this occasion. There is clearly a big problem brewing and Hamilton is the one who is inflating it by saying things like "we're not friends" and implying foul play, despite Rosberg trying to play it down and "move on".

Also, I totally disagree about the last post talking about these not being "normal people" like us. Competition is just as fierce at all levels in my experience whether that be in motor sport or martial arts or other sports. When I started my own IT business I had to give up practising Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because the risk of breaking my fingers, wrists, knees or neck were too high given that it would directly prevent me from working and I wasn't able to afford insurance to cover lost earnings at that point. I hope to go back to it soon though as I have realised I was fitter and stronger and less susceptible to other injuries due to my BJJ training. I have seen the same thing on the squash court with people, including myself, playing to the point of collapse rather than lose.

A great example of a fierce competitor and graceful loser is Roger Federer. For him it is even worse because not only is he a competitive sportsman but he also sees his sport as an art form and as such there can never be perfection, only the pursuit of perfection. For him to lose a match in a sport he loves like Tennis must cause great pain but have you ever seen him react badly? Has he ever been anything but utterly gracious in defeat? Rafa Nadal is very similar as are many of the tennis players in fact.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I don't think the media have over-inflated the spat between Hamilton and Rosberg on this occasion. There is clearly a big problem brewing and Hamilton is the one who is inflating it by saying things like "we're not friends" and implying foul play, despite Rosberg trying to play it down and "move on".

Also, I totally disagree about the last post talking about these not being "normal people" like us. Competition is just as fierce at all levels in my experience whether that be in motor sport or martial arts or other sports. When I started my own IT business I had to give up practising Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because the risk of breaking my fingers, wrists, knees or neck were too high given that it would directly prevent me from working and I wasn't able to afford insurance to cover lost earnings at that point. I hope to go back to it soon though as I have realised I was fitter and stronger and less susceptible to other injuries due to my BJJ training. I have seen the same thing on the squash court with people, including myself, playing to the point of collapse rather than lose.

A great example of a fierce competitor and graceful loser is Roger Federer. For him it is even worse because not only is he a competitive sportsman but he also sees his sport as an art form and as such there can never be perfection, only the pursuit of perfection. For him to lose a match in a sport he loves like Tennis must cause great pain but have you ever seen him react badly? Has he ever been anything but utterly gracious in defeat? Rafa Nadal is very similar as are many of the tennis players in fact.

Whether you agree or not, i do not care. The fact is, the media are playing this like a banjo and no matter what me are you say... will ever change this.

[Edited on 5/26/2014 by DRC INDY 7]

Puddle Dodgers Club

craig1410

posted on 26/5/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
quote:

Whether you agree or not i do not care, the fact is the media are playing this like a banjo and no matter what me are you say will change this.

Oh well, I guess that's me put in my place...was that you giving an example of petulance by any chance? If so then this is me giving an example of how to let that wash over me.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 26/5/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Whether you agree or not i do not care, the fact is the media are playing this like a banjo and no matter what me are you say will change this.

Oh well, I guess that's me put in my place...was that you giving an example of petulance by any chance? If so then this is me giving an example of how to let that wash over me.

Let that be a lesson then..

Puddle Dodgers Club

craig1410

posted on 26/5/14 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Let that be a lesson then..

See, if Nico and Lewis take a leaf from our book, they'll be fine by the time they get to Canada.

Irony

posted on 26/5/14 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I for one don't care if 'there's a lot at stake' or if 'F1 drivers are not normal people'. Lewis Hamilton is a sulky spoilt brat. He always has been. Yeah he's talented but that's not a excuse.
craig1410

posted on 30/5/14 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/9331844/Hamilton-should-apologise-Hakkinen

Another former World Champion, John Surtees, agrees with the Finn and was far from impressed by Hamilton's behavior.

"I have no doubt about Lewis Hamilton's driving ability, but I didn't like what I saw and heard from Monaco," Surtees wrote in his Motor Sport magazine column.

"I can understand the frustration Lewis must have felt in not having that opportunity on the last lap of qualifying to get pole position. But I think his reaction to his team-mate and team was wrong."

jeffw

posted on 30/5/14 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure John Surtees is in a position to pass judgement on this. He is know to be 'difficult' when he was racing (and managing his own teams).

If I was a team manager I'd want my driver to be seriously p*** off if he didn't win, shows he wants it.

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/5/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
They were friends before and they will be friends again.

It is all a story about nothing.

Pay them to risk their lives without question to win, and then expect them to be mature. It isn't realistic.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.