Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike chains and split links
mookaloid

posted on 21/7/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Motorbike chains and split links

Am I right in thinking that split links aren't a particularly good idea? Recently bought a bike and I've noticed that it has one. Should I be changing it for a soft link?

Description
Description

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StevieB

posted on 21/7/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it largely depends on what you want to use the bike for.

I've had both types on my various bikes over time and only had a soft link on my triumph tiger 955, which I wouldn't want a split link on with 110bhp.

I use a split link on my CCM604 at present as it spends a fair amount of time off road and split link chain are easier to remove regularly removing for cleaning and maintenance. Plus the bike is down around the 45bhp range so a lot less stress on the chain.

Slimy38

posted on 21/7/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've only ever used soft links on all my bikes, even my 50ish BHP GPZ 500!! Assuming you have the tool, a soft link is usually a pound or two with grease and o/x-rings, just make sure you get the right brand.
rick1962uk

posted on 21/7/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
any chain over 520 must have a soft link i use a split link on my race bikes but change them every time i use them i would go soft link as i have seen the mess a chain leaves when it goes
mookaloid

posted on 21/7/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
ok on further investigation it's an Iris chain size 525.

I'm pretty convinced I need a soft link but now I'm concerned that the Iris chain isn't very good either.

it's quite new. should I be replacing this too?

rick1962uk

posted on 21/7/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
iris is an ok chain about mid range what bike is it on and do you know what iris it is or what colour black nickle or gold pluss o ring or x ring
mookaloid

posted on 21/7/14 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The bike is the one in my original post (transalp 600) - the chain is gold - not sure if it's o ring or x ring.

Iris chains don't seem to get very good reviews on the net......

rick1962uk

posted on 22/7/14 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
that would be ok on that bike they are a good chain not as good as did and the top makes but will last i have never had one snap trouble with reviews is you dont know how its been looked after i have had ones returned that havent lasted 1500 miles but you can see they have never been greased
the proper way to look after a chain is to lube it straight after a ride when its hot that way it draws the lube into the links

i would just fit a soft link keep it well lubed and it should do 6000 pluss miles

MikeRJ

posted on 22/7/14 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Fit a soft link and fit a chain oiler. It will make the chain last way longer than aerosol chain lubes and keeps it cleaner. I can recommend the Tutoro automatic chain oiler, very simple to fit (no electrical of vacuum connections) and works very well once you determine the optimum setting with a bit of trail and error.
mookaloid

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
ok thanks chaps, I have a Scottoiler already which came with the bike. I'll get a soft link and get it fitted.

Cheers

mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.