Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Timber garage on side of house?
sdh2903

posted on 28/7/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Timber garage on side of house?

I'm moving to a new house this Friday. The integral garage is to be converted into a bedroom straight away. My plan was to build a garage joined to the other side of the house.

Now funds will be tight due to moving and the fact that SWMBO has decided we need new Everything so my initial plan was to buy/build a shed for the time being for tools bikes storage etc. but as I hate doing things twice my mind has started to wander and think about building a timber garage. This would save money on footings over a block structure as I could get away with a floating slab maybe 5 in thick with rebar. Plus I could do all the work myself. Quick sums suggest around 1500 quid as I can get all the timber at trade cost.

The only sticking point is possibly the roof. I couldn't really use tiles as It would be a bit heavy I suspect for a floating slab? I wouldn't want a felt roof so would prob have to be coroline corrugated or something similar?

So any thoughts? Should I just wait until I have the pennies to do a proper block and tile job??

Steve

whitestu

posted on 28/7/14 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I built a timber garage on a slab base at my old house using Coraline for the roof. It was great and served the purpose I needed it for and was really cheap to build.
It didn't really have any foundations and just had damp proof membrane, sand and slabs as a base.

Obviously not as secure as a brick garage but you can't have everything.

If properly installed Coraline lasts for ever! It's worth putting on top of OSB board to stop condensation though.

I'm going to build a car port at my current house, using twin wall polycarbonate panels for the roof, which may eventually become a garage as it already has two sides [house and neighbours garage] and a garage door going into the drive.

Stu

[Edited on 28/7/14 by whitestu]

nick205

posted on 28/7/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Neighbour of mine built a timber extension on the back and clad the roof with wooden shingles. No idea what how the cost compares, but it looks good and has weathered in nicely over the last couple of years.

fireybiscuit

posted on 28/7/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I built a timber extension on the top of my existing brick and block garage. The single pitch roof is recycled mild steel cladding from the side of an industrial unit - very light and cheap! I also thought about EPDM membrane fixed to OSB boards. The rubber membrane is very easy to fix using PVA and should last for ages.

I laid a cover of roofing membrane down first to prevent condensation. Condensation shouldn't be an issue with the EPDM/OSB combo

Thinking of a second storey next year.

talkingcars

posted on 28/7/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
When I built my workshop last year I spent a lot of time looking at roof prices, by far the cheapest durable solution was coroline sheeting, I did the whole 4.4m by 2m structure for £75 (the most expensive part of the whole build/rest was mostly scrap salvage), it stood happily through last winters rains.

My neighbour erected a similar size workshop/shed at least 15 years ago using the same, I guess it has no real support underneath as it has sunk a bit but it is still weather proof.

The garage loft conversion looks neat.

coozer

posted on 28/7/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon (might be wrong tho) you can get a concrete sectional garage now and use blocks inside it later?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Smoking Frog

posted on 28/7/14 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it's needed, but you may have problems with planning permission for a wooden structure connected to the house. I'd say wait until you have more funds available or if you have rear access build it on the back.
sdh2903

posted on 28/7/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
I don't know if it's needed, but you may have problems with planning permission for a wooden structure connected to the house. I'd say wait until you have more funds available or if you have rear access build it on the back.

This was the issue I was presuming I might encounter. I'm gonna give the planning office a call tomorrow. It's the only location on the property where the garage can go and it needs to be attached to the house to maximise width.

Out of interest how much £££ for an attached garage so only 3 walls approx 4m x 6m in size?? Also I already have a new garage door so wouldn't need one.

tegwin

posted on 28/7/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Its going to depend what you want to do with the garage...

I have a single skin block built garage, rendered on the outside with a new OSB and EPDM roof. Its great but in the winter the condensation inside is a little annoying.

If you are going to the effort I would do it properly. Either a timber or brick/block thing with the correct insulation etc so its warm and dry all year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

sdh2903

posted on 29/7/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
The garage will be used for general storage and eventually another car build. It will be fully insulated as I've battled with a cold damp workshop for the past few years and I want something better. The more and more I think about it the more I think waiting to do a proper double skinned block build and tile roof would be the best option
mark chandler

posted on 29/7/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Build it with insulated celcon blocks if you want a rendered outside. They are lovely and light to lift precisely cut so you use their glue, if you use sand and cement as adhesive then weak mix, 7:1.

Much easier than double skinned and capable of bearing load.

For myself I am just starting on an oak framed barn type building, will clad with wood and use insulated boards on the inside.

Regards Mark

DIY Si

posted on 29/7/14 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just a single storey, then there's no need to double skin it. You'll just use more materials and space up. My garage, whilst detached and massively overbuilt, uses 140mm wide blocks with 100mm of rockwool RWA45 insulation on the inside. It's lovely all year round in there.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.