Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: houes buying advice
beaver34

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
houes buying advice

in abit of a pickle and could do with some advice

me and the mrs looking to buy our first house, fund one viewed it twice its up at 115k

called to make an offer, got told there was an offer on the table for the asking price

so we offered 1k more

gone and got a mortgage in principal today, we are good for 50% more than the house is worth

went back to estate agents to give them proof to find out the other people have made a higher offer, they wont tell us what it is and they asked us to put our final offer on the table

we do like the house and its great for us, nice location does not need any work doing, and has a large workshop to keep me happy

just not sure whats the best approach to take going forward, anyone been in this situation before?!

thanks

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly? Make an offer of what you think it's worth to you - take into account the asking price, surrounding house prices, and any benefits it may offer (close to work etc. etc.). Unfortunately people can often get drawn into bidding wars where the heart takes precedence over the mind, and after all, the estate agent won't care as they'll still get their pound of flesh - I mean fee!!! Also have a ceiling price in mind, and stick to it. Make a final offer, and be prepared to lose out. Hard as it may seem, there's plenty of other properties out there.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds a bit convenient to me. Does the agent know you are keen, or did you play it cool?

Why hasn't the vendor agreed at this price if its above the asking? They are essentially spurring you onto gazumping the 'other buyer'.

What other properties are available of equivalence, and what are they priced at? How long has it been on the market?

If you guys are FTBs the agent may well be using this to his advantage. Always make sure to stick to what you can afford, and remember the agent works for the vendor! Its in their interest to drive the price as high as possible.

Who's the agent?

snapper

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
It is a painful process
You should look at many and have more than 1 you would be happy with
Try not to get to emotional, estate agents will often use tricks to bump up the bids
You have to be prepared to both bid a bit more and know when to walk away

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

designer

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
This is the 'modern' way of buying houses. They get more than the asking price this way.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beaver34

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
All sounds a bit convenient to me. Does the agent know you are keen, or did you play it cool?

Why hasn't the vendor agreed at this price if its above the asking? They are essentially spurring you onto gazumping the 'other buyer'.

What other properties are available of equivalence, and what are they priced at? How long has it been on the market?

If you guys are FTBs the agent may well be using this to his advantage. Always make sure to stick to what you can afford, and remember the agent works for the vendor! Its in their interest to drive the price as high as possible.

Who's the agent?

its an old cottage that is rare in the area that come up for sale, it was on the market 3 days before we both made offers

i would presume as a seller that he is holding out for the highest offer, the other part are also FTB's

regards the house price and location, in the last 2-3 years we have not found anything we like as much for the money, a lot more we do like but there are around the 160K granted the houses are larger but non as conveniently located as this property which it 2 miles from both of our works

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

Who's the agent?

its an old cottage that is rare in the area that come up for sale, it was on the market 3 days before we both made offers

i would presume as a seller that he is holding out for the highest offer, the other part are also FTB's

regards the house price and location, in the last 2-3 years we have not found anything we like as much for the money, a lot more we do like but there are around the 160K granted the houses are larger but non as conveniently located as this property which it 2 miles from both of our works

Sounds to me as if the agent has undervalued it to be getting offers above the asking price after three days!

If other similar (albeit) larger houses are at a 45k premium, I can imagine it will get a fair amount of interest.

Why not ask the agent if you can speak to the vendor directly? alternatively drop a note through the door with your details - often going to the coal face you'll get a real answer, rather than the agency patter.

That'd be my recommendation.

sdh2903

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Having just bought a house I feel your pain. I seriously detest estate agents even more after this move, they are on the whole lying slimy gits who will do anything to get more money out of you. Luckily up here the rules are supposed to prevent gazumping however we were gazumped on a property we had a verbal agreement on and we were encouraged by an agent to up an offer to beat another. We refused and funnily enough the house is still on the market 8 weeks later. I took great pleasure in telling the slimy bstard to stick his house.

The house we finally bought and moved into last week was unbelievably painless due to the fact the couple who were selling were fantastic, we sat round the table and negotiated the sale over a bottle of wine. We got the house for less than it's worth and they got a 4 week completion as they had bought somewhere else.

The main question you need to ask is what would you be happy to pay? How much over the valuation would you stump up yourself? How long would you stay in the house to make that money back? If you have the cash and they really are rare to market I say go for it. I would make a final offer on the condition that the house is immediately withdrawn from the market.

blakep82

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just my thought having never bought a house before:

They are happy to tell you an offer has been given at the asking price?
You offer more
They then tell you the offer has been increased but now wont tell you how much?

Me, I'm calling it that there is no other offer, heres why
They tell you theres an offer at the asking price, if you make an offer they know you're interested, and if you make an offer they know it will be over the asking price. Their job is done.
They tell you an offer has been made, but won't tell you how much, hoping you'll panic and go in well over your original offer, 10k kore perhaps. Meanwhile, theres no other bids and its all just getting more money from you.

Unless you NEED that house, sit back, and I reckon in a few weeks, they'll be contacting you to say the others have pulled out.

Of course I could be wrong, but I find it strange they'll tell you they've had an offer at the asking price

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

beaver34

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Having just bought a house I feel your pain. I seriously detest estate agents even more after this move, they are on the whole lying slimy gits who will do anything to get more money out of you. Luckily up here the rules are supposed to prevent gazumping however we were gazumped on a property we had a verbal agreement on and we were encouraged by an agent to up an offer to beat another. We refused and funnily enough the house is still on the market 8 weeks later. I took great pleasure in telling the slimy bstard to stick his house.

The house we finally bought and moved into last week was unbelievably painless due to the fact the couple who were selling were fantastic, we sat round the table and negotiated the sale over a bottle of wine. We got the house for less than it's worth and they got a 4 week completion as they had bought somewhere else.

The main question you need to ask is what would you be happy to pay? How much over the valuation would you stump up yourself? How long would you stay in the house to make that money back? If you have the cash and they really are rare to market I say go for it. I would make a final offer on the condition that the house is immediately withdrawn from the market.

thanks

the guy selling it came across as like minded and a nice chap races bikes and has some nice modded 4x4's, he has to decide at the end of the day who to sell it to, apparently he is happy with the price of the house according to the estate agents

i would pay 120k for it, but really dont want to have to find 5k above its value i could if pushed but dont want to, im thinking of 118k and as you say have it removed and if its not then we want out and we will have to deal with driving past it daily and not driving up to it!

beaver34

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

You offer more

They tell you theres an offer at the asking price, if you make an offer they know you're interested, and if you make an offer they know it will be over the asking price. Their job is done.
They tell you an offer has been made, but won't tell you how much, hoping you'll panic and go in well over your original offer, 10k kore perhaps. Meanwhile, theres no other bids and its all just getting more money from you.

Unless you NEED that house, sit back, and I reckon in a few weeks, they'll be contacting you to say the others have pulled out.

Of course I could be wrong, but I find it strange they'll tell you they've had an offer at the asking price

thats what it sounds like to me to be fair, can they do that? i presume not but wouldnt be suprised if they did

will see what happens anyway

britishtrident

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Walk away from it only offer what you think is a fair valuation for you as a buyer. the system of buying houses in England is inherently flawed and open to abuse , if you get into a biding war the only ones that gain are the estate agent and then seller.

One advantage north of the border is the system is slightly better.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Irony

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Estate agents are in my experience scum. They seem to get a kick out of making peoples lives miserable. Buying a house is one of the most stressful things you can do and they make it worse. Personally I wouldn't offer more than the asking price. I'd probably offer the asking price and then just leave it for a few days. Maybe the other 'buyer' will mysteriously vanish and then you'll get the house anyway. If this other buyer pulls out 'because they may not exist' then I would retract your offer and put in a lower one.

A good friend of mine had a house pulled out from under him the day before they were do to exchange (searches and fees already paid) by the seller as the seller got cold feet and insisted on £10K more at the last minute. My friend told the seller to stuff it. 3 months later it was still on the market and the estate agent phoned up and said the original offer was still on and when could they exchange for the original price. Cheek. My friend said no and he'd like to offer £10K less and that offer was excepted.

blakep82

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

You offer more

thats what it sounds like to me to be fair, can they do that? i presume not but wouldnt be suprised if they did

will see what happens anyway

As far as I can work out, theres nothing against it, not legally anyway.

I worked in mortgages for a few years, not claiming to know it all inside out, but there is someone you could ask the legal side of, I assume you've appointed a solicitor to look over the legal pack before making an offer? (Or does that come later? I'm not 100% sure)

[Edited on 6/8/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 6/8/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Speak to the vendor directly. It'll wee the agent off, but who cares - its your money.

Trust me, it'll get you to the bottom of whether this other offer is genuine or not.

micksalt

posted on 6/8/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that if you offer over the asking price, and the valuation comes back significantly less, your mortgage company are going to expect you to stump up any deficit. Happened to us, but after the initial panic we realised we were sufficiently liquid to cover it anyway, and used it to negotiate a better price too.
twybrow

posted on 6/8/14 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
Be aware that if you offer over the asking price, and the valuation comes back significantly less, your mortgage company are going to expect you to stump up any deficit. Happened to us, but after the initial panic we realised we were sufficiently liquid to cover it anyway, and used it to negotiate a better price too.

The valuation is not the same as the asking/selling price. The mortgage company will always value a house lower than the price you paid for it - they tend to look at how much it would cost them to build a replacment, and how much the minimum value they would get for it if repossessed and sold.

With regard to the OP, that is the joy of the housing market. We out our house on 2 weeks ago, and it has sold in less than a week at just under the asking price - I kinda wished I had priced it higher, but then I dont want to be greedy and risk losing a good buyer!

The other point for you to make to the agent/seller is your position. You are a good buyer - no chain, keen to move quickly etc. That has a value to it, and if the other offer is from someone in a chain, then they might look at yours favourably.

To be honest, I would go back and offer your final price, and be prepared that you may have to pay that price, or you may lose it at that price. You have to stay emottionally detached from the house until it is yours....

We offered on our current house, and the sellers rejected the offer without any counter. We walked away. Two weeks later the agent called to say they had reconsidered and wanted to take our offer (£30k under the asking price having already been reduced!). I was shocked and unprepared for that phone call, but it all worked out well in the end! Be prepared to state your position clearly, and then walk away. If it was meant to be, then you will hear back.

sdh2903

posted on 6/8/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

One advantage north of the border is the system is slightly better.

Sadly not true. its near as damn it just the same now having experienced it both sides of the wall, gazumping is happening all the time. I even know for a fact that the sealed bid system is corrupt as I have been victim of it, if I could have been bothered with the hassle I would have had the solicitor in court. Sadly you have to trust the morals of both the vendor and estate agent and hope they are being straight.

The only plus point up here is that home reports are mandatory and if they are less than 6 months old they are used as a valuation by the mortgage company so you know where you stand when putting in an offer, no separate valuation required.

If you can drum up a conversation with the vendor and he's a straight up guy you will be half way to sorting it one way or another.

micksalt

posted on 6/8/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, found that out the hard way. With the OP being a first-time buyer I was just making them aware that this sort of thing happens. Thankfully, my good lady puts massive safety margins in any budget.
Worzey

posted on 6/8/14 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's simple...make your best and final offer and be prepared to miss out.

If you do miss out then its not the house for you. Another one will come along.

We exchanged contracts last week. We received 2 offers for our house. I accepted the lower offer (£3k lower) because it was a first time buyer with no chain which helped us secure the house we are moving to.

It be worth playing the first-time buyer card on the basis the other buyer isn't in the same situation.

Caterham R400

mookaloid

posted on 6/8/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
For those of you who 'seriously detest Estate Agents' or who think 'Estate Agents are scum' clearly don't understand a few things.

Firstly Estate Agents act for the seller, they have a duty in Law to obtain the best price possible for the seller. if they con't get the best price then there is a possibility of them being sued for loss by the seller.

Secondly they have a legal obligation to pass all offers to the seller - even if an offer comes in after a sale has been 'agreed'. If an offer from another party comes in after a sale has been agreed then the Estate Agent has absolutely no choice but to pass this to the seller.

If a seller chooses to accept a later higher offer after previously accepting a lower offer then the Estate Agent cannot be blamed because he was under a legal obligation to pass the offer on and it definitely isn't the Agent's decision on which offer to accept.

Whilst there are a few 'rotten apples' in the industry, the vast majority of Estate Agents are ordinary decent honest people. Just as in many other walks of life where most people are ok but there are a few idiots - I don't know - like people who build cars for instance.....

Good luck with the purchase

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

sdh2903

posted on 6/8/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Mookaloid

I'm just casting opinion due recent experience. In that experience we found more rotten apples than decent fruit. Yes they are governed by lots of laws and rules and ethics. The problem is the bad ones don't abide by any of them and taint the industry for everyone. The agent who sorted our purchase in the end was brand new and completely straight with us which is all anyone can ask for.

Keep us updated with how you get on with the house.

spaximus

posted on 6/8/14 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
My advice is simple, what is it worth to you? I know people who have seen their dream house and refuse to pay an extra £2k only to spend more on another.

I look at it this way, what is £5k over a life time if it makes you happy. Of it is the home you want, not to make money from then between you decide what you want to pay and make that offer. Try to speak with the vendor as well to make him want to sell to you over the others.

If you don't get this one, there will be another but if you really want it, if it is the one that ticks all the boxes for both of you, if it the one that all others will be judged against, if you can afford it then for an extra £5k do it.

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/8/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
My housebuying experiences have all been favourable, with one minor exception when we tried buying our current house (the agent didn't seem to want to negotiate so we went through another agent, which caused problems for the seller, who was a royal PITA anyway)

We have bought houses at auction (started 25k, guided at 60 and we paid 81k!) sealed bids, really scary, and conventional. One we bought we paid 5k over asking. The seller had the same offer from somebody in a chain, but was in no hurry so declared if we would match, it was ours. We agreed. And I have no doubts about the agent, in fact I see him regularly as he is in the same running group as me, and thoroughly decent too.

Anyway. All teh advice about pay what you think is well heeded. In todays market if a house/location is unusual to be up for sale it is extremely difficult to value. And if it is desirable, then people will be bidding early and high. supply/demand is how it all works. So don't be afraid. Round here I spoke to the decent agent, he valued a house at 525, eventually exchanged at 595 as several people wanted it. 3-4 bed victorian terrace, needed a bit of updating..........

mookaloid

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Mookaloid

I'm just casting opinion due recent experience. In that experience we found more rotten apples than decent fruit. Yes they are governed by lots of laws and rules and ethics. The problem is the bad ones don't abide by any of them and taint the industry for everyone.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience, seriously though if you suspect that an Estate Agent has broken the law then the Property Ombudsman should be consulted. The Law can now ban people from practicing Estate Agency if they are found to be acting illegally.

If on the other hand you just didn't enjoy the experience then perhaps your expectations were unrealistic? House buying and selling is by it's nature adversarial. It is very stressful - particularly for buyers and they don't get any professional help until an offer has been accepted - even then it's only for conveyancing. The seller has professional advice from Estate Agents from the word go who negotiate for a living so is there any wonder buyers don't enjoy it?

From the Agent's point of view when it all goes wrong - due to no fault of the Agent, who has to give the bad news to the disappointed buyer? Yup the Agent. Naturally the Agent becomes the bad guy in the eyes of the buyer - even though it is unjust. Who would be an Estate Agent?

However if people don't report the rotten ones then they will keep doing the bad stuff and as it's only the customers that find out when stuff goes wrong it's up to them to do something about it.

I would go as far as to say that if you have genuinely been a victim of a rotten apple and not done anything about it and they are still trading then you should feel some guilt because they will keep on doing it.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.