Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on getting a refund
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/8/14 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on getting a refund

So a little while back I bought a couple of items off an a small business' online shop via my debit card- they were quite expensive for what they were (just under £100) but I thought "hey, if it's good quality it's worth it". So when they arrived I was disheartened to find that the quality was, to quote my mate, "Poo". So I request to return them for a refund, get an OK and then do so - that was about a month ago, and I still haven't had my refund. On top of that the guy has gone quiet and is not replying to my emails.
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas - I contacted my bank but the list of things they need to start a disputed payment is huge. Does anyone have any advice on where I go from here?

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the only hope is to find him and remove the money from him then and there!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Haha that may be difficult since he's in Scotland and I'm in Bristol\Reading!

jps

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
See if your local Trading Standards dept will help you, or get some advice from Citizens Advice Bureau. You have the right to reject the goods under the Distance Selling act, asyou have done, but actually forcing someone to refund you is likely to be difficult. Small claims court may be the best mechanism to use?
mcerd1

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the distance selling regs would mean they'd have to take them back and refund you ?

-

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I thought the distance selling regs would mean they'd have to take them back and refund you ?

They'll take them back, but it's getting them to refund.... That's the problem!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slimy38

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you sent them recorded and you have proof they've received them?
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, I've got recorded delivery and everything. Even got an email from the bloke saying he's sorting the refund. I just haven't got it!

twybrow

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Small claims is your last resort, but it is no guarantee. I have been waiting for £1200 back - I won my case, and the chap just keeps ignoring letters from the court. The clock is now ticking - the judge is servin gpapers once more stuck to his door - if he fails to answer he is in contempt and will be arrested. But it has taken 3 years to get this far!
snakebelly

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, and please don't think I'm being flippant, but for under £100 I think you may as well write it off. Fees for small claims will be at least half of that. Name and shame them then send them a link to this thread and sit back and take some satisfaction that others may not make the same mistake.
jps

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
To be honest, and please don't think I'm being flippant, but for under £100 I think you may as well write it off. Fees for small claims will be at least half of that. Name and shame them then send them a link to this thread and sit back and take some satisfaction that others may not make the same mistake.

Without checking... Isn't it just £15 to file in small claims court? Although I agree with your general point re the sum of money, if it were me I'd be pursuing it for the principle over the cash...

twybrow

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly

Without checking... Isn't it just £15 to file in small claims court? Although I agree with your general point re the sum of money, if it were me I'd be pursuing it for the principle over the cash...

£25 for upto a £300 claim if you use the online system to log your claim. Plus you can claim back your costs.

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/8/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Does the scottish thing confuse the issue? I fear it may as many laws seem different.

Have you tried the card company? I think many offer support in the same way credit cards do.

snakebelly

posted on 6/8/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I may have overestimated the filing costs but what about time off work to attend if required? In addition in my experience just because you get a judgment doesn't mean you'll get your money. Sorry but sticking to my guns name and shame and let them know you have.
jossey

posted on 7/8/14 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just work with your bank it can be a pain but if you have confirmation he has received them and refunding you will get your money.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 7/8/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, the distance selling regulations don't stipulate that you need to return the goods, only that you take reasonable care of them. The retailer still has to refund you if you cancelled within 14 days, irrespective of whether he had the goods back. Unless the return was stipulated in your contract...

He has to refund you within 30 days of you cancelling.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 7/8/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll talk to my bank on Saturday (go into the branch) and see where it goes. I may well end up posting an unbiased review on the appropriate message board as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.