Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I reinstate this window?
McLannahan

posted on 9/9/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can I reinstate this window?

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/mclannahan/Housey/e3713b26f185d87b8cf1c8774b094657.jpg

Evening all

My kitchen is presently a flat roof extension on the ground floor. It joins onto the much smaller older kitchen. This was done in the 80s and so it wouldn't look "odd" they bricked up the window.

I'd like to unbrick the window and ideally lower the window sill to then convert into a breakfast bar.

The bricked up wall is only bricked on one side and they've thoughtfully left the ugly recess in the newer kitchen. This was is the external wall of the property.

1. Can I drill out the bricks and leave the window gap?

2. If I do this would it look even more odd?

3. Can I lower the window sill further?

4. Other than my suggestions....has anyone any better suggestions how to join/flow the rooms together?

Thanks everyone!

[Edited on 9/9/14 by McLannahan]

mark chandler

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would get a chisel out and investigate if a lintel goes across both window recess and door, does it span the room? If so look to move the radiator and take the whole lot down.

If you chip off the plaster to the lintel, middle and both sides then get the building inspector around who will tell you if it's okay to proceed.

Is there a solid wall above this?

Punching out the window hole should not be a problem but it will still look odd IMHO.

McLannahan

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, that's great.

That would be the ideal, have one larger room without the window and doorway.

Yes, there is a solid wall above this one with the window in, it's the old external wall of the building (still is upstairs as the kitchen is a single level flat roofed extension)

I'm hopeful the lintel does go all the way across as the centre pilar seems too thin and has sockets flush mounted in it! Your suggestion is sensible though, best not to assume!

I was hoping to make it an easy job with just revealing the window aperture, but like yourself....will it look even more odd and half arsed?!

Thanks again

r1_pete

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
There should be a lintel, or steel supporting both skins of what was the outside wall, it could have been two single width concrete lintels - unlikely, or a top hat shaped steel, try going over it with a magnet.

How about taking what was the window down to floor level and putting an island unit in.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete!

Do you mean leave the lintel as is and remove everything straight down from the inside of the window recess? Then site the island in the gap?

Thanks again

r1_pete

posted on 9/9/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, not knowing the measurements, could you put an island in with the pillar coming up through it, so you can walk all the way around it??

It would be worth investigating if there is a single support steel or lintel spanning the door and window, if its man enough you may not need to leave the pillar in....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 9/9/14 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
On my previous house we had a room that had been knocked through with a solid wall above, when I came to sell the buyers solicitors wanted to see the work signed off by the council, it did cost £85 I think, it was a while ago now. He checked the lintel and signed off the work even though it had been done more than 10 years previously so if you do remove apply for planning permission, that little bit of paper delayed the sale by 2 months.

He will want to see the exposed lintel at each end so arrange a visit before you make good.

I was amazed how thin the lintel was, 3/4" over an 8 foot span, it had rebar in it but even so

James

posted on 10/9/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
If you just keep everything in scale to the hob, oven and microwave, are you sure you even need the extension at all?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.