Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TG thinks we're stupid...
scootz

posted on 11/10/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
TG thinks we're stupid...

A coincidence? Bollox!

BBC Linky

It's Evolution Baby!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 11/10/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure they didn't realise much!!

[Edited on 11/10/14 by ian locostzx9rc2]

James

posted on 11/10/14 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
It would kind of ruin the in joke if they admitted it though, wouldn't it!

Just take it with a smile and a nod and accept it's naughty school boys messing about.

I see no problem with it at all, often those most sensitive to offence are those who most need a dose of offending!

Good on Top Gear, I think it's hilarious! I even posted so on FB before I knew anything about the protests!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

samjc

posted on 11/10/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoy the show but can safely say that clarkson would notice something like this before the trip. It cannot be a coincidence.
JoelP

posted on 11/10/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think it's a private plate or that they chose the car for its plate? Internet does come back as a porsche on that plate.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

morcus

posted on 11/10/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
You've got to remember it wasn't them that went out and bought the cars so it's possible that who ever the researcher was didn't notice or maybe didn't even know that the Falkland's war happened in 1982. It seems highly unlikely they deliberately sought out that car if it's always had that number plate but I do agree it's possible someone spotted it and thought it would be funny.

I'm not saying they did it on purpose or that they didn't but I think it would be wrong to pass judgement, I also believe the story about the mob being engineered by the Argentine government and don't think normal people in Argentina would really have noticed.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ReMan

posted on 11/10/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
It would kind of ruin the in joke if they admitted it though, wouldn't it!

Just take it with a smile and a nod and accept it's naughty school boys messing about.

I see no problem with it at all, often those most sensitive to offence are those who most need a dose of offending!

Good on Top Gear, I think it's hilarious! I even posted so on FB before I knew anything about the protests!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

gingerprince

posted on 11/10/14 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
The story rums deeper. Outrageous...

http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/10/06/top-gear-in-trouble/

coozer

posted on 11/10/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Clarkeson reckons it was a coinsedence as they didnt see the cars till they they got there and it was the research team who bought the cars, he explains all that in today's sun...

No big deal really... Program is going out over Xmas.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 11/10/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
The car had that registration on it before they bought it which makes sense, but did they chose the car before they decided to go to beaneater land? and who suggested to the natives the significance of the registration?

To quote Ian Hyslop on HIGNFY Newsnight will do an investigative programe on it which the BBC bosses will then shelve.

[Edited on 11/10/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

balidey

posted on 11/10/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was an honest mistake / coincidence. But....
I remember an episode when they commented before about number plates reflecting cars owners on a previous challenge, then the shot panned away to see James May driving a car with CNT on the plate. Or something similar.

EDIT: this one:
http://www.greatbritishsportscars.net/wp-content/uploads/british-sports-cars-on-top-.jpg

[Edited on 11/10/14 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

britishtrident

posted on 11/10/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I think it was an honest mistake / coincidence. But....
I remember an episode when they commented before about number plates reflecting cars owners on a previous challenge, then the shot panned away to see James May driving a car with CNT on the plate. Or something similar.

The fact the team were carrying fake number plates in the boot of one of their vehicles more or less seals as a fact they knew exactly what they were doing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jeffw

posted on 11/10/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The car had that registration on it before they bought it which makes sense, but did they chose the car before they decided to go to beaneater land? and who suggested to the natives the significance of the registration?

To quote Ian Hyslop on HIGNFY Newsnight will do an investigative programe on it which the BBC bosses will then shelve.

[Edited on 11/10/14 by britishtrident]

You do know that was an ironic reference to the Jim Saville documentary and not a serious comment?

bi22le

posted on 11/10/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need some imagination to even realise the reference.

Take the plate off of the top gear set and out of the Argentina and you would NEVER guess the reference. I think it was a stunt that went a little wrong.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

scootz

posted on 11/10/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm astounded that there are folk who think it was a coincidence! That car was central to the whole 'special'. It's entire raison d'être.

I'm also astounded (but slightly less so) that folk think it's acceptable to go into someone else's country and try and take the piss on such a sensitive matter. Rights and wrongs aside, families still mourn sons, fathers, and brothers.

It's Evolution Baby!

v8kid

posted on 11/10/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm astounded that there are folk who think it was a coincidence! That car was central to the whole 'special'. It's entire raison d'être.

I'm also astounded (but slightly less so) that folk think it's acceptable to go into someone else's country and try and take the wee on such a sensitive matter. Rights and wrongs aside, families still mourn sons, fathers, and brothers.

Time to get a life I think. Its not as is they are IS laying waste to all free societies, black humour is often a way of release of tensions and there are mourners on both sides after all who want recognition.

It is traditional to support the country that nurtures you after all. &#128513;

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 11/10/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

Top Gear is in hot water again today as papers in Argentina claim the VIN plate of a minicab once ridden in by one of the presenters contained the letter J and the number 6 in what local officials are calling a clear reference to the British occupation of Quilmes in eastern Argentina in June 1806.

Ho can that be outrageous!!! And the anagram reference, jeez if you look hard enough you can find anything like this

StevieB

posted on 11/10/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe it was a a coincidence either - they've pulled too many stunts now to be able to convince me otherwise (whatever the truth may be).

I've been a big fan of TG over the years, but it think it's reached its limit now and it's either time for another format change or shut it down. IMHO, of course...

steve m

posted on 11/10/14 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
This thread should be renamed "We think TG is stupid"

Sorry, twas a brilliant show, but just like so many, it has overrun its stay, and is now like watching childrens TV or emmadale, ie CRAP

I like JC, very funny, and 99% right, JM is ok, and very (seems) knowledgeable on car related things,

Hammond is just a stooge, has now relevance to anything, and is a twerp

Just my opinion

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

James

posted on 11/10/14 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm also astounded (but slightly less so) that folk think it's acceptable to go into someone else's country and try and take the wee on such a sensitive matter. Rights and wrongs aside, families still mourn sons, fathers, and brothers.

I hope you'll be getting straight onto the BBC about any re-runs of Dad's Army they're considering! Come to think of it, that Rowan Atkinson fellow needs a going over for his disgusting references to WWI!
Hmmm, Fawlty Towers too for that matter!

Or maybe, we're British, and we like to take the wee out of ourselves and of others!

"We never started it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded the Falklands!" **
;-)

Cheers,
James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Irony

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I think they new, I think they set up the whole flipping thing. They dont even call the Falklands, the Falklands over there. Unlikely any locals would get the silly prank. So there for it was a set up that may or may not have got out of hand. Everyone agrees toggear is very tired. They needed to spice it up. Not the first people to use controversy as a ratings winner.

Yawn........

scootz

posted on 12/10/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

I hope you'll be getting straight onto the BBC about any re-runs of Dad's Army they're considering! Come to think of it, that Rowan Atkinson fellow needs a going over for his disgusting references to WWI!
Hmmm, Fawlty Towers too for that matter!

Or maybe, we're British, and we like to take the wee out of ourselves and of others!

"We never started it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded the Falklands!" **
;-)

Cheers,
James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

I must have missed the episodes where they went to the country in question and filmed on the streets of those they sought to provoke with childish intentions.

It's Evolution Baby!

owelly

posted on 12/10/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
As I see it:
I saw the press enquiries asking for suitable cars. They listed the Porsche as an option and there were three that were offered. Two looked to be snotters and the other is the one they chose. The history of that car disclosed that it was first UK registered with those FKL plates but then had 'Cherished' plates assigned to it. The cherished platrs are the ones that appeared after they removed the FKL ones (not the BE11 END ones). I follow JC, JM and RH on Twitter so got the updates as it was happening. It seemed pretty genuine.
So it seems like an aweful lot of work to 'create' such a massive back-story just for one gag. I remember the Falklands war and have been to the Falklands but never at any point thought that 982 FKL was in any way connected!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 12/10/14 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

Top Gear is in hot water again today as papers in Argentina claim the VIN plate of a minicab once ridden in by one of the presenters contained the letter J and the number 6 in what local officials are calling a clear reference to the British occupation of Quilmes in eastern Argentina in June 1806.

Ho can that be outrageous!!! And the anagram reference, jeez if you look hard enough you can find anything like this

How can you actually not see that I was taking the P155 and posting a sattirical link?!?! I mean I even put a smiley in there!!!!!

Minicooper

posted on 12/10/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just disappointed that they weren't caught and taught a lesson

David

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.