Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone tried overdriving fluorescent lights
v8kid

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone tried overdriving fluorescent lights

Like it says - Anyone tried overdriving fluorescent lights? Would you recommend it?

I'm not interested in the efficiency or running costs I just want it brighter.

I've got 15 existing 6 foot switchstart singles and I need more light and can't decide if I should just replace them with modern twin fittings and get 2x the light or rewire them to overdrive with electronic ballasts and get 1.7x the light?

Suspect just replacing would be easier but costly at £450 ish whilst electronic ballasts would only cost £150. Then again new fittings would have new tubes which would be brighter than the existing 10 year old ones and its £90 to replace tubes - Ho Hum! its a bugger to be mean but £450 could go a long way to throttle bodies

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not done the overdrive bit, but I've seen the effects of replacing decade old tubes, it's likely you'd get the boost in brightness just from that even without going to twin tube fittings. If you use them daily you don't notice how much they fade over time.

I'd be tempted to go for the £90 for new tubes (if I understood your post correctly). Or you could just replace one to see the difference before taking the plunge?

dave r

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
new tubes make a lot of difference

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Dooey99

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
They do led tubes that fit in fluorescent units and they are amazingly good, my mate put some in his garage and they made the world of difference, do not know how much they were though

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I re-tubed my kitchen after 12 years the difference was significant..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Lamps loose a significant proportion of their output after a year- they have already lost 20% ,ten year old lamps will be well out of spec.

Relamping will improve things significantly.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

adithorp

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99
They do led tubes that fit in fluorescent units and they are amazingly good, my mate put some in his garage and they made the world of difference, do not know how much they were though

I know a local dealership who've had the latest LED ones fitted to replace their old tubes/fittings and all the mechanics are busy buying halogen flood lights on tripods as, although it looks bright, they are having trouble seeing what they're doing.

New tubes will help but have you tried just cleaning them. Soapy warm water on a rag, wipe them, dry and refit. You'll be surprised at the amount of crap that builds up on the tubes.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

owelly

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
At work, we change all 'long tubes' every year and the 600mm 'short tubes' every two years. You can certainly tell if there's an old one left in! We also choose the colour of tube to suit the location. Cool white for offices. Warm white for rest rooms. Ultra white for conferance, etc.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Led is the way, nice a bright and they pay off in a couple of months, last for donkeys years as well apparently...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

quinnj3

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely change tubes. Also if changing tubes, change the starters as well. I learned this the hard way when working in maintenance. I'd find myself at the same fitting within 3 months of changing the tube and would need to change both the tube and starter again due to weak starting. For the kind of quantities your looking at with a bit if bartering you should be able to achieve a significant discount as well. If you suffer headaches or sore eyes in this place then you may find electronic ballasts help eye strain but they won't last the same 10 years as your old ballasts. Electronic units don't tend to be much brighter and replacing starters and tubes only will reduce eye strain significantly anyway. As a previous post pointed out LEDs aren't the way to go just yet. If you replace the tubes now in 5 years time you could consider changing to LEDs as the technology will be well advanced and proven by then.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

johnwilders

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I drove over one just the other day, didn't work at all after that.
BenB

posted on 12/10/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I put some 16w bulbs in a 28w unit. Gave good light given the bulb rating but they failed v quickly- prob about a third the expectancy of the 28w bulbs.
v8kid

posted on 13/10/14 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps new tubes it is then. Think I'll go for daylight tubes and if that's not enough selectively overdrive. Meanwhile I'll clean them cos right enough they are mankey!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

DW100

posted on 13/10/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Try an electrical factors

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/Fluorescent_Trisphosphor/index.html

10+ is £3.25 + VAT each

Thats about £58 for 15 inc VAT

v8kid

posted on 13/10/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately TCL do not have a branch in Scotland but Toolstation sell for slightly cheaper and I can pick them up from the counter.

I'll do a before and after Lumens measurement out of interest

v8kid

posted on 25/11/15 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well bless me its a year since I was going to relamp - finally did it and what a difference !

No need for a lightmeter its like night and day, ta for the tip about the starters they now strike almost at once.

Cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.