Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warning what the Yanks call "gipsy" cab drivers (NOT travellers) con trick.
britishtrident

posted on 11/12/14 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Warning what the Yanks call "gipsy" cab drivers (NOT travellers) con trick.

Nothing to do with Traveling folk, but a lot to with fake Private Hire/Mini Cabs. Story goes 4 older ladies out for night at the theatre leave the performance a little early knowing they have a reputable private hire car booked to pick them up. The lady who booked the taxi isn't tec savy and can't use txt. They stand on the steps of the theatre and are approached by a man of afro-caribean origin speaking poor english. Then the lady who booked the car is getting txt on her granny phone from the real hire company say her car is 2 minutes away but she leaves them unopened.
To cut along story short when the real hire car firm phones them and the ladies start asking question but are so unworldy they feed the driver all the answers they expect to hear.

The fact they had been hijacked only occurred to one of the ladies when she related her story to her policeman son telling him how wild the guys driving was.

Clearly it was an unlicensed private hire car, probably with absolutely no form of insurance, likely driven by a driver who had never sat a driving test, and more than likely an illegal immigrant.

So warn all your vulnerable relatives and friends young and old.

[Edited on 11/12/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tegwin

posted on 11/12/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
This happens all the time...

Standard practice at Bangkok airport when I went though is for the local touts to observe the reputable companies and how they collet their pre-booked (and pre paid) customers... and then just abduct people as they get off the plane tired and confused pretending to be their contact...

They drive you to your destination and then demand an enormous fee.... one of the lads staying in my hotel had this exact issue....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

daviep

posted on 11/12/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Clearly it was an unlicensed private hire car, probably with absolutely no form of insurance, likely driven by a driver who had never sat a driving test, and more than likely an illegal immigrant.

Are you sure you didn't read this in the News of the World or a UKIP leaflet?

I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just amazed at how far you've managed to extrapolate, perhaps if you focus your mind you can come up with a make and model or even a registration number?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

morcus

posted on 11/12/14 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Unlicensed minicabs have been around, and will be around all the time there's mini-cabbing, but given how easy it is to get a private hire licence (And ways around needing one) I don't actually think there's much of a problem in the UK and I've been in licenced taxis worse than a lot of those and for the biggest rip off, leave a fixed price zone in a licenced Hackney, In Bristol as soon as you cross the county line you start paying huge fares.

If you go to the cities in Russia, I'm told pretty much anyone will pick people up and negotiate a price to take them somewhere.

From the description of the driver and how he behaved, sounds like a proper taxi driver to me in London/Bristol/Birmingham

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

v8kid

posted on 12/12/14 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just amazed at how far you've managed to extrapolate, perhaps if you focus your mind you can come up with a make and model or even a registration number?

Cheers
Davie

Def a Hyundi reg H 1 JAK - 2nd hand tyres as well with a bulge on the inner wall right rear

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 12/12/14 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Cheers
Davie

+1

No facts, lots of rumour = lazy right-wing jounalism

"gypsie" cabs exist in NY because it's so hard/expensive toget a cab licence.. no that hard here.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

wylliezx9r

posted on 12/12/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Cheers
Davie

^^^^^^ haaa haaa Nice one Davey

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

DW100

posted on 12/12/14 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Fake Taxis have been around since Taxis started.

Normal practice is to hang around town on a Friday / Saturday night and pick up the drunks. Seen it happen, drunk approaches a car says "Taxi for .....?", driver says "yes" and away they go.

Not that a normal Taxi is any better. Workshop a couple down does a lot of Taxis. Drivers are rude and conversations reveal they see customers as targets for all sorts, can't drive to save their life and the standard of workmanship is appalling. Twice in the last month, cars that have been worked on, have had wheels drop off as they drive past our workshop!!!(all of 20m) Makes you wonder if cars are bolted together at all.

I think I would rather my daughter walk home, on her own, in the rain, late at night than get in one of these cars.

jeffw

posted on 12/12/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
+1

No facts, lots of rumour = lazy right-wing jounalism

"gypsie" cabs exist in NY because it's so hard/expensive toget a cab licence.. no that hard here.

defines lazy left-wing journalism as well

JacksAvon

posted on 12/12/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Get a grip people.

This is neither Left, Right or UKIP.

See it more as a public service message.

Illegal cabs been around since they were drawn by horses.

For those who can not see the light try living in an area of more than 12 houses or a cave.
Luton, Slough, Birmingham, London, Peterborough, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow.........
.... all have this issue

Unlicensed cabs are driven by all nationalities, illegal immigrant and otherwise, some more than others.

If you want a decent cab, get a black cab in London driven by a guy in a flat cap and an old cardigan.

If nothing else it will be opinion forming.
Because, if you had no opinions when you got in you will have received enough to last you a week by the time you get out.

coyoteboy

posted on 12/12/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Get a grip people.

This is neither Left, Right or UKIP.

The point is indeed sideless, however I think the complaint was that:
quote:
and more than likely an illegal immigrant.

Seemed like a UKIP comment.

I've been picked up by an unlicensed cab when very drunk in London. Fortunately no negative outcome.

I've also been picked up by a pre-booked private hire cab (which we had used to get in to the location) and ended up getting abducted by a driver who quadroupled his initial quote then wouldn't drop us at a police station to discuss it and chose instead to attempt to drive back to his friends who would "sort us out". I was so angry I managed to rip his handbrake lever out of the floorpan (attempting to stop the vehicle near a police station to get the ladies out of the car) and shook it in his face in rage until he pulled over. He then turned off all of his lights and sped off.

I'm not a fan of taxis.

adithorp

posted on 12/12/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JacksAvon
For those who can not see the light try living in an area of more than 12 houses or a cave.
Luton, Slough, Birmingham, London, Peterborough, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow.........
.... all have this issue

Glad the man from the heaving metropolis that is Lincolnshire pointed that out to me...

Jeff, you're right of course, IF you take my statment in isolation but in context with... "a man of afro-caribean origin speaking poor english" and "more than likely an illegal immigrant" I think I'm justified in regarding it as right wing propaganda.

Simon

posted on 12/12/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work with someone who frequently hired unlicensed cabs in London, get the driver to take him a mile or so from home in Essex then do a runner

ATB

Simon

JacksAvon

posted on 12/12/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
"Glad the man from the heaving metropolis that is Lincolnshire pointed that out to me..."

Formerly of Acton, Shepherds Bush, Willesden and latterly the much more salubrious Putney

adithorp

posted on 13/12/14 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JacksAvon
"Glad the man from the heaving metropolis that is Lincolnshire pointed that out to me..."

Formerly of Acton, Shepherds Bush, Willesden and latterly the much more salubrious Putney

Sorry, I was really just going to reply to Jeff but that struck me as ironic and couldn't resist

rusty nuts

posted on 13/12/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
As others have already pointed out its been going on as long as there have been cabs, it doesn't make it right of course and could be downright dangerous How many females have been raped by " unlicensed drivers" ? Or worse? As in Cambridge a few year back when a young student was killed by a Scottish squady based just outside of Cambridge , he went on to top himself . At least licensed cars have some sort of safety check twice a year in Cambridge, but most mechanics do not hold the correct driving licence to road test licences hire cars(but can road test Hackney cabs) There have been cases in the last few years when women have been attacked by licenced drivers as well as Hackney cab drivers. Passengers should also take into consideration the fact that they are not covered by the vehicles insurance in the case of an accident

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.