Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tracking someone/something with GPS tracker
AndyW

posted on 18/1/15 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Tracking someone/something with GPS tracker

Hi all

Bit of a hypothetical question, and to see what the collective think.

Question 1) Is it legal to track someone via a hidden GPS without them knowing
Question 2) Is it legal to track a car without the driver knowing (In this case I own the car but I'm not the driver)

Has anyone here had or needed or wanted to track someones whereabouts without them knowing and if so what have you used?

I don't mind any answers via u2u if not want to publish on forum.

Cheers

Andy

slingshot2000

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I am sure someone on here caught his wife cheating on him by doing something like this. I will U2Uhis name to you, may be worth having a quiet chat with him, and then letting us all know how to go about it while keeping his name private.
Regards
Jon

(Edited for a stooped spelling error).

[Edited on 18/1/15 by slingshot2000]

coozer

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly all the trucks and trailers you see out on the roads have some form of tracking.

As a contracting driver I never get informed of whether there is tracking or not. Only thing I've seen is in Asda transport office a massive flat screen with a map of the UK with every trucks location live on it.

Firms use the data to know where you are, how fast your going, if your using cruise or not, harsh braking etc etc.. some even have video capability.

One in was up in the highlands looking for a farm about 3am. Couldn't find it but was in the right village so close. Rings the depot asking where it was to be told after a pause.. 'See the side road on your left? Its down there' That spooked me out a bit I can tell ya!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Wadders

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see how it can be illegal to track your own car......my mate did it to his wife's car to catch her cheating but I don't think he ever fessed up as to how he knew where she was regularly going. The gizmo came from the spy shop in Leeds, think it was around £300, although it's a few years back, guess they can be had cheaper now.
SteveWallace

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think that someone on here used one to track his high performance car when he left it at a garage for repairs. He was suspicious that the mechanics were joy riding in it and I think that he managed to prove it by looking at the tracker data. Note sure if he ever used it in a legal case though, or just evidence with the garage to prove his point.

Also, I think that Watchdog did it once to catch dodgy companies who were selling off site airport secure parking. They tracked the car to side streets etc, where it was basically just dumped for a week.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Got one for sale ......
JoelP

posted on 18/1/15 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest it is perfectly legal to track your car. Just unfortunate for anyone in it who doesn't want tracking, but that's just an unfortunate side effect!

Being tracked for work is a different issue i believe, as it would definitely be covered in the terms of your employment.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 18/1/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Its a shame this has to be done on u2u's as im intrigued !!

not that I have any use for a tracker, but would like to know more .................

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 18/1/15 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter starts secondary school in September, and I've bought her a phone. This isn't just so she has one to use, I am planning on adding one of the many GPS tracking apps to it. It's mainly because public transport is involved, and unlike me that spent most of my youth on public transport, I don't think she's ever set foot on a bus!!

At least if I know where she is, I'll have a remote chance of being able to pick her up if things go awry.

jollygreengiant

posted on 18/1/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
My daughter starts secondary school in September, and I've bought her a phone. This isn't just so she has one to use, I am planning on adding one of the many GPS tracking apps to it. It's mainly because public transport is involved, and unlike me that spent most of my youth on public transport, I don't think she's ever set foot on a bus!!

At least if I know where she is, I'll have a remote chance of being able to pick her up if things go awry.

Also (no doubt you have thought of this), SHOULD some scrote deprive her of the phone you would have a chance of some come-upance.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

slingshot2000

posted on 18/1/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Also (no doubt you have thought of this), SHOULD some scrote deprive her of the phone you would have a chance of some come-upance.

Exactly ! I bought my 11year old son a smart phone for this exact same reason, 45 minutes on a bus each way.
One lunchtime, while he was training with the school football squad, some scrote entered the changing rooms and stole each and every phone. The replacement has a tracker ! !

Regards
Jon

rusty nuts

posted on 18/1/15 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, do a search on Amazon for GPS tracker, not a lot of money , uses a PAYG SIM card and Google maps ,can even turn off the engine via a text message
Volvorsport

posted on 18/1/15 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
IM also interested in any product with regards to this.

i want to be able to see where my kids are when we go camping.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

coyoteboy

posted on 18/1/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it is illegal, which is why hire car companies have to inform you if they use tracking to keep track of their vehicles. Somewhere, somehow, you have to accept it as a condition. Otherwise it's a breach of privacy laws.

quote:

If a GPS car tracker is used covertly, that is, secretly or hidden and without a person's knowledge, then it is illegal.

The only organisations that may legally make use of covert GPS tracking devices are legal authorities such as the police and intelligence. The rest of us are breaking the law to do so.

Tracking a vehicle without the driver's consent is illegal, whether for business purposes or not. The reason is because linking data to an individual person falls under the Data Protection Act 1998, which determines the rules for the collection, use and sharing of an individual's information. The implications of using telematics or vehicle tracking systems without someone’s consent are considerable and constitutes an infringement of personal liberties.

Drivers should be informed of the full capability of the tracking technology before being held to account for their behaviour.

http://vehicletracking.expertmarket.co.uk/uk-law-vehicle-tracking-devices

[Edited on 18/1/15 by coyoteboy]

BenB

posted on 18/1/15 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
The only issue is whether it would classify as stalking under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. The description of stalking in that is pretty damn vague and uses descriptions like "following". I guess they're not talking Twitter
jossey

posted on 18/1/15 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Its illegal.

If its your car then you could forget to mention it's tracked.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 18/1/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I used to fit trackers covertly. My old company developed one of the very first text based systems and it could do anything including soft stopping a stolen car.

We used to fit the common crackers to white vans without the user knowing.

It was mainly done to stop lazy workers and drink driving.

Not sure how legal it was. We are talking over 10 years ago. Sat navy and common GPS was barely available to the public then.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.