Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wood Burning Stoves
coozer

posted on 28/1/15 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

With a 9kw stove open like that you should be roasting! With a two sided job there the thermal movement between the rooms should be good to keep you warm.

Mine is 5kw as required for our smokeless zone and heats our room, which is living room, dining room, kitchen about 10.5m long and 4.5m wide a treat. We also have an open staircase and if we leave the doors open upstairs heats the whole lot a treat.

You need one of these:

This helps you control the fire better to get the most out of it. Also you should find the whole of the chimney breast gets really hot, acting like a storage heater.

Mine running at that temp is enough to get us nice and cosy with tons of hot water from the kettle. Enough for cuppas and washing up.

How big were the bags? Not from a petrol station I hope! I have a leaflet here for seasoned sycamore and ash at £30 for a dumpy bag!

I get a few leaflets and door knockers when the fires on with the smoke and chimney cap thing.

But, all I burn is pallets, they are free and burn canny, although the chimney clogs up quick, needs sweeping twice a year and I just do it myself with some rods and brush I got off ebay.

What kind of fire is it? Looks like a solid fuel burner, I cant see any controls for air at the top, which is what a wood burner needs.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Sierra

posted on 28/1/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
It is a wood burner with primary vents at the bottom of the doors and secondary vents/air wash at the top on the sides.
The wood was from a stove shop where I had to bag the wood myself from a large barn. It burns quick which makes me think it could be softwood which I've been told will not let as much heat out.

gregs

posted on 1/2/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
It is a wood burner with primary vents at the bottom of the doors and secondary vents/air wash at the top on the sides.
The wood was from a stove shop where I had to bag the wood myself from a large barn. It burns quick which makes me think it could be softwood which I've been told will not let as much heat out.

If it helps at all....we've lived with our log burner for 4 years, 2 of which it was our only heating

I never open the primary (lower) vents on mine - process for getting to roaring inferno in half an hour:

screw up news paper
lay a handful of kindling (i chop of a wood offcuts etc for this and dry by the fire)
Lay some small chopped soft wood on top (2" square)

Light with match

Leave door (mine is a stovax 5kw - single door) ajar about 1"

When soft wood is well alight, place some smallish cut hard wood or more softwood on top

When this is going open your top vents and then close the door

20mins or so later you should be able to add bigger logs.

Once hot (get a gauge - it's a lot easier!) half shut the top vents.

I use the above on my dad's villager stove as well which is pretty similar to yours.

Thing to note; I've never had any joy burning 'just' hardwood, can get it going but IMHO takes an age to get properly going.

Hope some of this helps!

Greg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.