Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overcharging
LBMEFM

posted on 1/3/15 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Overcharging

I recently had some work carried out on my own house by my regular plumber. I over saw the work being very busy on other building sites on completion I left the payment of the invoice to my wife. At the end of the month I noticed that he had a £1,000.00 unexplained item on the invoice. When I asked him what it was for he replied "additional materials" but was unable to give me a breakdown, when I said I was not happy with this he replied "tough your wife agreed the cost and paid" so that's it as far as I am concerned. My question is, is it worth pursuing the matter legally or indeed is it really just tough on me?
rusty nuts

posted on 1/3/15 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Have a word with trading standards? If he is a tradesman that you use on a regular basis on other jobs I would not use him
BenB

posted on 1/3/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
What he's suggesting that your wife agreeing to pay previously unspecified amounts for unspecified extra equipment is somehow a contract looks like he doesn't want any more work! Unfortunately less recourse after payment has been made. A grand is a lot of money. It's not unreasonable to enquire again what these "extras" were. Any good contractor would do that so their customer was comfortable with the bill. If in doubt trading standards or just name and shame for anyone googling them....
40inches

posted on 1/3/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
I recently had some work carried out on my own house by my regular plumber.

Should that read "EXregular plumber? If you put a lot of work his way, it looks like he doesn't want any more!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/3/15 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Moral of this story is. Don't leave it to the wife!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mk85

posted on 1/3/15 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I am a stone mason by trade and I split my invoices down to each single item.

I would politely refuse to pay until your invoice is clearly broken down and each item is identified and allocated for.

Legally I wouldn't worry as long as you state you will pay the bill once you know what's it for.

chrism

posted on 1/3/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mk85
I am a stone mason by trade and I split my invoices down to each single item.

I would politely refuse to pay until your invoice is clearly broken down and each item is identified and allocated for.

Legally I wouldn't worry as long as you state you will pay the bill once you know what's it for.

Sounds like its already been payed, so I guess it would be a case of speaking to trading standards or citizens advice burea and trying to get a breakdown of the cost, as I would definately say that £1000 is way to high for a misc items invoice, maybes £20/£30 would be acceptable. Possiby the only course of action could be a small claims approach.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

perksy

posted on 1/3/15 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be He priced it too low in the first place to get the work and has then thought he'd put it on at the end of the job ?

Any decent tradesman shouldn't have an issue with giving you a breakdown of the work, unless he has something to hide of course....

LBMEFM

posted on 1/3/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for your suggestions, why are some people so despicable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.