Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost collective expertise required: Grout removal
PSpirine

posted on 25/3/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Locost collective expertise required: Grout removal

All,

as this forum is the font of all knowledge.

We're regrouting the floor tiles in my gf's kitchen. They're large ceramic tiles, about 20x40cm each, and with 5mm grout.

There's probably about 4x4m area to do.

We had to have a few tiles up to replace due to cracking, so I've cut the grout away to get them out but what a ball ache of a job!

Is there a better way?

I've got an oscillating Bosch multi-tool with a grout removal carbide attachment, which is okay, but it's about 2mm wide, and takes a while to get through. I struggle to get it out to both edges of the tile (since grout width is 5mm), and am worried about chipping the top surface off the tile (this happened on a couple of tiles when chipping away the cracked ones).

What's the recommended method/tool?

Thanks,

HowardB

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I use a diamond disc in my angry-grinder,... awesome, quick and very clinical

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Irony

posted on 25/3/15 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I sit next to a ex proffessional tiler in my office and he reckons there is not a easy way. Angry Grinder and a dust mask.
owelly

posted on 25/3/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for angry grinder! You can use tape to try to protect the edges or use a wooden batten as a guide but I managed to do an entire bathroom floor free-hand with the grinder and didn't ruin any tiles.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 25/3/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, will give angry grinder a go (I've got a diamond disc for it already) - have a few spare tiles if it all goes a bit tits up

The hard bits are where I end up with a T grout bit as the tiles are staggered, need to avoid cutting past the T into the tile.

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/3/15 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware the dust will get into every nook and cranny in the house. Seal up the door to the rest of the house with tape, including teh bottom of the door. You have been warned! (this is my experience of using a grinder in an occupied house. It took a loooong time to be forgiven for that one)
splitrivet

posted on 30/3/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Be aware the dust will get into every nook and cranny in the house. Seal up the door to the rest of the house with tape, including teh bottom of the door. You have been warned! (this is my experience of using a grinder in an occupied house. It took a loooong time to be forgiven for that one)

+1 on that, occupied property and angry grinders are not a good combination.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

bigfoot4616

posted on 1/4/15 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i'm a tiler, removing grout is one job i try and avoid. if i have to do it i use a multitool and attachment your using.
grinder is to dusty, cant get into corners and is to easy to catch a tile edge.

get as close as you can to the tile edge without catching it and then running a knife blade along the tile edge will normally remove any last bits of grout if you've taken enough out of the joint.

HowardB

posted on 1/4/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
the dust from a very narrow diamond blade has never been an issue, I run a vacuum near cowl, very neat and tidy, and extremely quick. Agree that it wont get into the corners, but it is quick on the long straights,....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

PSpirine

posted on 1/4/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i'm a tiler, removing grout is one job i try and avoid. if i have to do it i use a multitool and attachment your using.
grinder is to dusty, cant get into corners and is to easy to catch a tile edge.

get as close as you can to the tile edge without catching it and then running a knife blade along the tile edge will normally remove any last bits of grout if you've taken enough out of the joint.

Thanks, that's the bit I was struggling with - the remnants either side of the channel once I've run a tool down it.

Will give the angle grinder a go (carefully) on a straight section, if it works, will do the long straight runs with it, and use the multi-tool for the shorter bits and to get up to the tile corners.

Fortunately the gf is on hand to help = hold the vacuum cleaner next to angle grinder as per HowardB's technique. And we recently introduced a *lot* of dust to that area when redecorating a room, so that won't be anything new

Thanks again for all the comments.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.