Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machining alloy with a forstner drill
tegwin

posted on 25/3/15 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Machining alloy with a forstner drill

I need to make a couple of pieces from alloy on the lathe... I need to produce 25mm and 30mm holes with flat bottoms...

Suitable milling cutters are upwards of £25 each... Rather a lot for a one off job... If I drill out the meat of the hole would a forstner bit be man enough to finish the job with a flat bottom?

Failing that, anyone have a 25mm/1" cutter and a 30mm cutter they would rent me?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

owelly

posted on 25/3/15 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I counter-bored a lump of ally with a flat wood bit!! It chattered a bit but with plenty of oil and a very low speed, it did the job. I would say the Forstner bit would do a better job as long as you can keep the shank short or well supported to stop it from wandering off!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally, is it not possible to use a boring bar to make the holes? I find grinding up old files make good tiny boring bars!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Or a reamer??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Reamers don't tend to have a cutting face on the tip!

I could use a boring bar but it's faf. I need 6 holes. It's doable but a bit to just cut to the chase would be nice

Not used my lathe for so long i can't even remember where it is!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

owelly

posted on 25/3/15 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've also used a 10mm end mill in the tool post to chovel out a 30mm flat bottomed hole....
I bet my college lecturer is spinning in his grave.....

r1_pete

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I used a forstner bit to square off the 15mm holes for the injectors in my modified manifold.
chris-g

posted on 26/3/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have had good results milling aluminium with wood router bits. They tend to be carbide tipped and you might get one in a diameter suitable for your purposes.
MikeRJ

posted on 26/3/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g
I have had good results milling aluminium with wood router bits. They tend to be carbide tipped and you might get one in a diameter suitable for your purposes.

Yep, I've also had good results with router bits on aluminium alloys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.