New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Co Pilot did it?
Jon Ison

posted on 26/3/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
The Co Pilot did it?

Can't believe what I'm hearing.
Nickp

posted on 26/3/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Shocking!! When they we're going through the scenario yesterday I thought straight away that it had been done on purpose by one of the pilots, there didn't seem any other explanation
sdh2903

posted on 26/3/15 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly seems like there's no other logical explanation

looks as tho the guy had some issues in the past, stopped training half way through then resumed a while later, alleged depression, this was his first pilot position and had only amassed 600 hours in 2 years (v low compared to many pilots who are usually pushed to the 900/yr limit.)

Very sad allround.

philw

posted on 26/3/15 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is one for the conspiracy theorists, is this the second or third now that has been a suicidal pilot, they can tell us want they want, but what if some one has been able to hack into the flight systems, that they wouldn't tell you

Must try harder

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any normal co-pilot would have screamed for help if the system appeared to have been hacked - he/she certainly wouldn't have locked the chief pilot out of the cockpit...

sdh2903

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philw
I think this is one for the conspiracy theorists, is this the second or third now that has been a suicidal pilot, they can tell us want they want, but what if some one has been able to hack into the flight systems, that they wouldn't tell you

Highly unlikely/impossible on this breed of aircraft. A320 family is late 70's early 80's tech. Unless someone has hard wired into the aircraft with a laptop without no one noticing.

philw

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Any normal co-pilot would have screamed for help if the system appeared to have been hacked - he/she certainly wouldn't have locked the chief pilot out of the cockpit...

I know , I was just chucking it out there, I do find it strange though 3 have gone down within a year, my sympathy's go out to the families

[Edited on 26/3/2015 by philw]

Must try harder

philw

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:

Highly unlikely/impossible on this breed of aircraft. A320 family is late 70's early 80's tech. Unless someone has hard wired into the aircraft with a laptop without no one noticing.

The air frame is, but don't they upgrade the electronics to the latest state of the art?

Must try harder

sdh2903

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Still principally the same, yes software/hardware has been upgraded but still not a million miles from the original or the aicraft's certification would be affected.
splitrivet

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
What a tw@t, depression or no to take 150 innocent people with you.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

philw

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
It always raises my eyebrow, just how old some of these planes are, I know they cost a fortune and money needs to be recouped

Must try harder

sdh2903

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It always raises my eyebrow, just how old some of these planes are, I know they cost a fortune and money needs to be recouped

Yes but the level of maintenance counteracts the age, these things are scrupulously maintained particularly as the frames get older. The crashed aircraft was 24 years old, in that time I would suspect that, major structure aside, very little hasn't been replaced.

02GF74

posted on 26/3/15 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
What a tw@t, depression or no to take 150 innocent people with you.
Cheers,
Bob

“Usually, when someone commits suicide, he is alone,” said Spohr, the Lufthansa CEO. “When someone takes another 149 to their deaths, suicide is not the right word."

Tragic event.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 26/3/15 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Used to work in the industry - every component has a life in flight hours/cycles, and is changed before that is reached. All planes go in for maintenance regularly, from a light go over to heavy strip down and rebuild. On that side of things I have no quibble on the age of a plane - provided it is being run by a reputable European company.

My thoughts out to the relatives - even of the co-pilot, as they are going to get harrassed to hell now. Not to mention the poor sods of passengers...
Turns out this company don't operate the "two man" rule in the cockpit, I see that getting rolled out in legislation now.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Texan

posted on 26/3/15 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if it was "just" depression.

I'm betting they will find evidence of some sort of political agenda, but then again he might has just discovered that his wife's lover was a passenger.

I drive therefore I am.

jollygreengiant

posted on 26/3/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ever since it was introduced, I always felt that the "NO entry possible from the outside of the cockpit door" was a minefield, just waiting to go bang, as a knee-jerk reaction to September 11th. It is just possible that 'the pilot/co pilot' had a massive coronary or massive cerebral event just after the other pilot left the cockpit. Suicide or medical event, either way it will be VERY difficult to prove.

My thoughts go to the families of those who died.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

wylliezx9r

posted on 26/3/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Ever since it was introduced, I always felt that the "NO entry possible from the outside of the cockpit door" was a minefield, just waiting to go bang, as a knee-jerk reaction to September 11th. It is just possible that 'the pilot/co pilot' had a massive coronary or massive cerebral event just after the other pilot left the cockpit. Suicide or medical event, either way it will be VERY difficult to prove.

My thoughts go to the families of those who died.

Incorrect, the copilot activated the controls to put the plane into a decent, cannot be done by accident.

[Edited on 26/3/15 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/3/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
There is also a keypad to gain access to the cockpit if needed. But it can be controlled from inside. If the copilot had simply collapsed the pilot would of been able to access the cockpit. But the co pilot denied access showing he was fully awake.

[Edited on 26/3/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

sdh2903

posted on 26/3/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
There is also a keypad to gain access to the cockpit if needed. But it can be controlled from inside. If the copilot had simply collapsed the pilot would of been able to access the cockpit. But the co pilot denied access showing he was fully awake.

[Edited on 26/3/15 by Ben_Copeland]

This^^

Keypad on outside. Access code gets entered. If no one answers the 'door bell' the door automatically opens after a programmed time (airline specific usually 60 secs). If when the code is entered the pilot hits 'deny' the door is locked. Full stop. For a set time, again programmed by the airline anywhere from 5 upto 20 mins. This therefore proves the copilot was compus mentus enough to firstly put the aircraft into a descent and then deny access.

owelly

posted on 26/3/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
The latest 'reports' are suggesting that the co-pilots ex-girlfriend was a Muslim and arranged for them both to 'holiday' at a jihad training camp. This would explain why the bloke 'disappeared' for a few weeks before he took employment with the doomed aircrafts owners.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 26/3/15 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The latest 'reports' are suggesting that the co-pilots ex-girlfriend was a Muslim and arranged for them both to 'holiday' at a jihad training camp. This would explain why the bloke 'disappeared' for a few weeks before he took employment with the doomed aircrafts owners.

We'll see, don't want to be jumping to conclusions as to the why and wherefore of the matters. However I'm sure that angle has crossed everyone's mind at this point.

All I know is the guy was a grade A twat, no matter what the details are.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

luke2152

posted on 27/3/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Seems to me they are jumping to conclusions very fast. While he probably did it you want to be very sure of your facts before you blame someone for such a heinous thing
swanny

posted on 27/3/15 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
technologically wise how far away are we from being able to take control of an aircraft in flight?

if we had concerns about an airplane ground control could take over and place it into autopilot and nullify this sort of thing or terrorist uses of planes in this way.

adithorp

posted on 27/3/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Seems to me they are jumping to conclusions very fast. While he probably did it you want to be very sure of your facts before you blame someone for such a heinous thing

Got to agree with that. I can't imagine any other legitimate explanationbut it's still a big decition tomake on the grounds of one recording. It was interesting that the president of the pilots association qualified his comments with "if the accident investigation agrees with the legal one"

As I was driving all afternoon yesterday , I found it interesting listening to the way the radio reports evolved. The first (a direct translation of the French prosecutor) said the Capt' could be heard asking (on intercom) to open the door then tapping on the door and only in the final few seconds a few screams could be heard from the passengers (indicating they had no knowledge of what was happening untill then). As the afternoon wore on, these reports slowly changed (without new info released) untill the Capt' was hammering on the door in every increasing desperation and trying to force entry and passengers could be heard panicing in increasing desperation. Was the sheer horror of what had happened not enough and it had to be elaborated?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

swanny

posted on 27/3/15 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
media chinese whispers
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.