Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NAS / USB Cloud etc
daveb666

posted on 14/5/15 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
NAS / USB Cloud etc

I've got a 1TB hard-drive at home with years of films, tv shows and music on it. This is plugged into my LG smart-TV with a USB lead - I access the files using the TV remote.

The HD is abit old now and I'm sure it's going to die anyday, so I want to replace it with a bigger 2TB version but I'd also like the new HD to be able to be connected to my home network (ethernet not wirelessly) so that files can be accessed by the upstairs computers, and also (ideally) via an app/phone/cloud etc when I'm away from home.

I know I can get WD MyCloud type things but this removes the USB connection. My TV will talk to a cloud media storage thing but if I can reduce network traffic by going direct with a USB cable I'd rather do it this way.

Can anyone recommend anything or does anything that does cloud sharing just not have USB cables anymore?

Thanks

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

coozer

posted on 14/5/15 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a network connection away from home is the first stumbling block!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

daveb666

posted on 14/5/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Being able to access it away from home is a bonus not a necessity - I'd use my mobile anyway; unlimited data.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

dave_424

posted on 14/5/15 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just received a BT hub 5 router and previously had a BT hub 4, It has a USB on the back that you can plug in an external hard drive and access the files from anything connected to the network. Can't remote connect when out and about though. Some people have reported issues with very large capacity hard drives, but others have for 1tb + working fine. Works great for me.

Should be pretty cheap to pick one up on eBay

EDIT: Both the BT hub 4 and 5 have the usb, possibly older ones but not sure

[Edited on 14/5/15 by dave_424]

Slimy38

posted on 14/5/15 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
My main PC has a drive set aside for media, and I run Servio DLNA server on there. This is then wired connected to the network, and phones, computers, TV's etc can connect and watch the programmes. It just means that the one PC must be on pretty much 24x7, although I have set everything to run on minimal power for most of the time. It can still be used as a PC while it's streaming video and audio.

I can also expose that DLNA server to the internet via my router, although I've not yet done it as I haven't figured out a safe way of locking it down.

[Edited on 14/5/15 by Slimy38]

dubzter

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Synology NAS drive that has 2 1Tb drives in a raid configuration. Once connected to your network at home you can set it up so it can be accessed remotely from the internet. You will obviously be limited by your home broadband upload speed but easy access from anywhere plus being able to stream around the home.

Locost Builders Build Thread

britishtrident

posted on 14/5/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
The first step has to be use Clonezilla to clone the existing drive before it falls over, then think about your upgrade.

Any NAS type device I have come accross that has both ethernet and USB connections won't allow both to be operational at the same time but things mat have moved on.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Worzey

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'll need to check when I get home but I'm sure my 4TB WD Mirror Cloud NAS has a USB connection.

Caterham R400

daveb666

posted on 14/5/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Worzey
I'll need to check when I get home but I'm sure my 4TB WD Mirror Cloud NAS has a USB connection.

Would be grateful if you could Worzey -from what I've read about them the USB socket is only to add additional storage, and not to allow the drive to be used as a 'portable' hard drive.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Most NAS's (and broadband routers) can work with dynamic dns servers like no-ip.com, that way they keep a URL updated with your IP. I use one like bla.no-ip.org so wherever I am I can access the NAS, but you need to set up port forwarding on your router to get the contents out, and you want to be sure the NAS has sufficient security to be acceptable as WAN-facing.

Worzey

posted on 14/5/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think you might be correct. I've tried to connect via a USB from my laptop to the WD Mirror NAS and it doesn't recognise it at all.

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.