Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: timber framed garden room - building regs
smart51

posted on 17/5/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
timber framed garden room - building regs

I've been thinking about building a garden room for the last 12 months and have decided to go ahead. Because it will be less than 15m2 it won't need to be built to building regs, but I want to anyway. What will I need to do to comply? Do you know of a handy online guide?

I was planning stud partition walls, vapour barrier, air gap and cedar cladding. I like the idea of round walls so perhaps laminated thin ply on the stud partition over the curves. Or perhaps just planks with edges planed at an angle to make a nice butt joint. What kind of size do the timbers need to be? As a guide, it will be about the size of a single garage.

mark chandler

posted on 17/5/15 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
As long as it's behind the front wall of the house and 1m meter from the neighbours then just build away within planning regs.

My oak frame shed is 6m x 4m, it did come in massively over budget allow £500 - £1,000 for decent foundations

Sam_68

posted on 17/5/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
For an extension, we would typically use 140x38mm studs with 120mm PIR (Celotex) insulation; vapour barrier (polythene) on the inside; 9mm. OSB sheathing on the outside, then breather membrane, vertical battens to create a ventilated cavity (+counterbattens if you then want vertically boarded cladding), then your cedar cladding.

You need to be particularly careful about floor-wall junctions, and the connection of the timber frame structure with your (presumably masonry?) existing external walls.

U2U me if this is a serious project (sorry, but I really can't afford the time to advise if you're just 'thinking about it' ) and you require further information beyond that - it's what I do for a living (Design & Technical Director for a timber frame manufacturer).

smart51

posted on 17/5/15 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
For an extension, we would typically use 140x38mm studs with 120mm PIR (Celotex) insulation; vapour barrier (polythene) on the inside; 9mm. OSB sheathing on the outside, then breather membrane, vertical battens to create a ventilated cavity (+counterbattens if you then want vertically boarded cladding), then your cedar cladding.

You need to be particularly careful about floor-wall junctions, and the connection of the timber frame structure with your (presumably masonry?) existing external walls.

U2U me if this is a serious project (sorry, but I really can't afford the time to advise if you're just 'thinking about it' ) and you require further information beyond that - it's what I do for a living (Design & Technical Director for a timber frame manufacturer).

Thanks for the "recipie". This is what I was thinking of, but with significantly smaller studwork. It will be a posh shed rather than an extension. If I get the go-ahead from the missus, I might take you up on your offer of getting in touch.

Sam_68

posted on 17/5/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51...This is what I was thinking of, but with significantly smaller studwork.

Smaller studwork (89x38mm) would be fine structurally, but the 140 studs allow you to get a decent thickness of insulation in (and with 120 PIR would leave a 20mm residual cavity for services, avoiding the need for a separately battened service void).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.