Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - House purchase, no planning or regs
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/5/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
OT - House purchase, no planning or regs

Oh wise oracle of locostness... I am after a bit of advice.

Went to go and see a house on the weekend, and popped back the next day to chat to the neighbour, nice chap...however I discovered a few scary things and I want to know whether I should run and hide or carry on looking at it.

First of all - the house is a real stretch for us to afford, but is exactly what we are after in terms of location (middle of nowhere), size and the fact it has a bit of land - plus it has bags of character. In short, I want it.

However the next door neighbour told us the house was originally planned as an extension to next door, and then "turned into a house" - he claims it has no planning permission and doubts it was put through the building regs. He thinks its about 35 years old, having always lived next door he knows a lot about it.

The house is very solid, made from stone, and is very nicely finished.

Am i walking into a land mine taking the purchase any further, or is it an opportunity to take a risk and really knock down the price by a hefty slab?

As it was 35 years ago I think its passed the time the build can be challenged by the council, and I also think the building regs point is moot too as it was so long ago.

BUT

I dont want to not be able to get building insurance or something stupid, and I also cant afford to get caught in any form of legal rangle with a jobsworth at the local planning office.

I'd welcome any comments, as this is waaaay off my scale of experience, having only bought 1 semi detached house about 10 years ago!

theduck

posted on 18/5/15 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Simple answer is check with your mortgage advisor and solicitor.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 18/5/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
As you say, I'm pretty sure that it's past the point of being challenged by the local Council. But if you like it that much, best people to speak with are your estate agents and solicitors; I'm pretty sure the checks they'd carry out as part of the purchase would throw up any anomalies. Just depends if you can get this information in advance, or just take the risk with solicitors fees and be prepared to walk away and take the loss if something ugly rears its head.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

loggyboy

posted on 18/5/15 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
4 years is the 'lawful use' timescale.
Providing you/he can provide evidence the house has been in use for last 4 years (bills, council tax etc) then the planning issue is non existent.
As for building control, IIRC it start till ,mid 80s, so chances are it wouldnt have needed it anyway.

[Edited on 18-5-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/5/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, interesting that it doesn't seem as big a deal as I thought.
tegwin

posted on 18/5/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Use it as a negotiating lever..... but not really an issue so far as my understanding goes.... Mortgage surveys should come up with any issues if there are any...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DW100

posted on 18/5/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Most councils allow you to search planning documents online for free by postcode.

They may go back far enough to see any issues that have come up.

[Edited on 18/5/15 by DW100]

russbost

posted on 18/5/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Having bought a couple of properties during the last year solicitors particularly are getting more & more awkward about "has it got the correct permissions", "has it been built to CURRENT building regs" which to me is a stupid Q - if it was built 35 years ago building regs have changed many times, at the end of the day they will say the purchase decision is up to you, but will make many negative noises about it.

It's possible you may not be able to mortgage it as readily as other properties & obviously should be aware you may get similar grief when you come to sell, that said assuming you're there for a while, which sounds like you might well be then everything is that much further in the past. It's possible the mortgage co./solicitor may advise or insist on an indemnity policy (which would normally be paid for by the vendor) to protect you from any future backlash

If you're going ahead, I would recommend having a structural survey done (this is not the usual "valuation survey" undertaken by the mortgage co.), it should cost in the order of £300 - £400 & will put to rest any qualms about whether it's constructed properly or not, it might be very useful to you when you come to sell so probably money well invested

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ravingfool

posted on 18/5/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
From what you've described it's a non-issue.

Yes it needs to be dealt with correctly and your solicitor will need to make sure that they do that both for your protection and for your mortgage provider; but if what you've said is correct it's not going to cause any problems whatsoever. Building regs is more of a potential lasting issue but depends on circumstances and many mortgage providers are unconcerned after 6 years have passed. Most important issue which everyone overlooks is that if it doesn't have building regs, is it safe? But if the place has been up for all those years and your surveyor gives it a clean bill of health then no problem.

It's also not got any value in terms of negotiations on price (because it's not a problem) but there's nothing stopping you from just offering less in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if it had full planning and building regs and the neighbour's just forgotten.

Don't get hung up on this; if there's a genuine problem from a legal perspective over the title to the property then the general expectation is that the seller will either rectify or pay for a solution which will rectify. Either way your solicitor will advise you.

In terms of actual value of the property that's for you to negotiate at the start and then if your full survey says there are problems with whatever in the property then that is a reason to renegotiate.

If you have a decent solicitor instead of just a bucket shop they'll be able to talk you through all of this and even if you do end up with a bucket shop that is still what you're paying them for so just get them to explain things to you!

(Also if you are totally miss-sold the property and there are problems which come up then there are new regulations affecting estate agents which you can use to claim compensation from the agents if you waste your time and money on surveys and legals when they should have told you about something major at the start - not everyone's familiar with that one)

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/5/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Once again thanks - it's great to get advice from locosters, you are rarely left in much doubt!

Cheers

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/5/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Second the full structural survey. Just do not arrange it via your mortgage, it will cost double+ what a rics surveyor will charge if you do it direct.

If it hasn't had any real issues in its lifetime, no reason it will now.

jps

posted on 18/5/15 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be fairly cynical about anything coming from the neighbour of a house for sale, if it were 'planned as an extension for next door' how do you know he isn't planning on putting off every prospective buyer then snapping it up himself to do just that to it...?
Wadders

posted on 18/5/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
That was my first thought when i read the OP's post, sounds like the "Friendly neighbour" might have an agenda.......

Originally posted by jps
I'd be fairly cynical about anything coming from the neighbour of a house for sale, if it were 'planned as an extension for next door' how do you know he isn't planning on putting off every prospective buyer then snapping it up himself to do just that to it...?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.