Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car port help
beaver34

posted on 23/6/15 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
car port help

hi,

as usual there is a wealth of knowledge on here so im after some it it please!

moved into our first house and it does have a couple of garages but as ive had more room ive purchased more cars so the mrs car now lives outside, its having a new roof tomorrow and part of the new car bargaining tool was that i would build a car port to keep the poor weather off her car.

now ive not built one before but was hoping i could fasten wooden uprights to the perimeter brick wall and then come off the garage with a sloping joists and polycarb roof

any thoughts?

pics

thanks

JoelP

posted on 23/6/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good. Don't drill too close to the top of the brickwork, it's easy to knock them loose. Check where rain will drain to.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 23/6/15 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is there not any building regs that state you can't build within 1 meter of a boundary unless it's in fireproof material?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 23/6/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't bolt to the wall, I would use some posts and build a frame then put the polycarb under the gutter.

When I built mine behind my garage I used 4" fence posts and some 3x1 on its edge to support the poly, and just pushed it under the gutter, no problem for me.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

beaver34

posted on 24/6/15 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Is there not any building regs that state you can't build within 1 meter of a boundary unless it's in fireproof material?

not sure where do i find these?

SJ

posted on 24/6/15 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

not sure where do i find these?

The timber in the fence already contravenes that one!

I think a car port has to meet the same regs as a shed so as long as it is under 2.5m on the boundary it should be OK. Worth checking though.

I used this Link for mine. Its really good VFM.

Have a look at the planning portal first for guidance.
Stu

[Edited on 24/6/15 by SJ]

hkp57

posted on 24/6/15 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
As above check planning requirements, once you have a front aspect and a boundary it changes the rules.

Check planning portal here

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

smart51

posted on 26/6/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If a building is less than 15m2 and does not have sleeping accommodation, it can be built up to the boundary without needing to be built from non-combustible materials. Specifically about car ports:

"Building a new attached carport (open on at least two sides) would not normally require building regulations approval if it is less than 30 square metres in floor area." - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.