Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fundraising for Prostate cancer UK (London to Brighton cycle)
Andybarbet

posted on 1/8/15 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fundraising for Prostate cancer UK (London to Brighton cycle)

Hi everyone,
On September 26th - 27th I am doing the london to brighton night ride in aid of prostate cancer UK.
I know a few guys that are going through treatment for this so I thought I would try to help a little by doing this challenge.
If anyone would like to donate, my just giving page is here:
https://www.justgiving.com/Andy-Barbet/

Also, if anyone has some helpful tips to get me through, I am all ears - many thanks, Andy

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

maccmike

posted on 1/8/15 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
done, best of luck
Andybarbet

posted on 1/8/15 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the donation :-)

It seems we have this in common too MINI
MINI

[Edited on 1/8/15 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Irony

posted on 2/8/15 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Done!
Andybarbet

posted on 2/8/15 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks from a fellow Luego owner :-)

the constant builder

posted on 2/8/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend getting some water/wind proof overshoes, wet cold feet are your enemy. These are good without being stupidly expensive.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-heavyduty-overshoes/

Well done and enjoy the experience.

Angus

[Edited on 2/8/15 by the constant builder]

Neilwilson

posted on 2/8/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Done - Good luck mate
Andybarbet

posted on 5/8/15 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks so much for the donations so far guys :-)

Angus, advice taken & I now have some over shoes, I could of done with them last winter but at least I now have some for the coming winter.
I think I have pretty much everything else I need clothing wise.

[Edited on 5/8/15 by Andybarbet]

Andybarbet

posted on 22/9/15 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the donations guys, I really do appreciate it, 4 days to go until my London to brighton night ride.

There are 5 of us doing it, all long term old chums (all over 40) & none of us have done anything like this before but we have raised nearly £2500 between us - which is fantastic !

Training was going really well but ive been quite ill for over a week now, really frustrating but that's life.

Just been out on a short ride in the dark, just planning on taking it easy on the night now, weather looks to be dry through the night so that's a bonus.

Looking forward to a Sunday breakfast in Brighton :-)

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 22/9/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
done -

have a great ride.

Chris

Andybarbet

posted on 22/9/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris, im on £300 now on the just giving page & about another £100 on a sponsorship form that I've been handing around.

A work colleague has been having treatment for prostate cancer & is now hassling everyone he knows for donations too :-)

Pojo

posted on 23/9/15 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Done

Good luck, hope the weather stays fine.

Andybarbet

posted on 5/10/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, just a quick update.

We all completed the ride through the night, it was really well organised by challenge cancer, two of us were still ill on the night but we did manage it. Ended up just over 6 hours of riding & did 66 miles.

I was feeling really rough about 40 miles in, sneezing/coughing etc, if it wasn't for all of the sponsorship money I think I would have called it a night so thanks again for the support, it did keep me going.

Ditchling beacon lived up to what I had been told, very steep & very long, I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but got to the top as the sun was coming up & it's an amazing view up there.

All in all it was a great experience, the right clothing helps immensely, only a couple of glitches with my bike but had a small toolkit on me & managed to sort it out on the roadside.

I didn't have any aches etc in the few days afterwards, just very tired for a few days, didn't help losing a nights sleep I suppose !

I raised over £500 for prostate cancer in the end, between the 5 of us it was over £3000 raised, we are all really chuffed.

I've come out of it a bit fitter than I was before & managed to do a good deed for people who are going through some horrible challenges that life has thrown at them, all thanks to the kindness of many for donating their hard earned cash.

Thanks again - Andy

[Edited on 5/10/15 by Andybarbet]

[Edited on 5/10/15 by Andybarbet]

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 5/10/15 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
well done that man (men !)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.