Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car port roof
beaver34

posted on 16/8/15 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
car port roof

in in the process of building a lean-to carport on the back of the garage.

got the frame sorted now need a roof, there seems loads of options don't really want the clear perspex like stuff.

what have other people gone for? have been looking at box profile sheets but worried about condensation and it dripping, is this an issue as ive seen companies do "anti drip" sheets.

thanks

Volvorsport

posted on 16/8/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
12 mm. Ply , then fibreglass , make sure you treat underneath....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

SteveWalker

posted on 16/8/15 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I like box section. I would have thought that if it is a proper carport (ie. open at the ends) then there should be no condensation problem. If you are going to close off the ends, then how about the box section that is pre-insulated on the back?

My garage roof is actually ply (existing), that I covered with galvanised box section, having got fed up of the various previous coverings failing. Been there for 5 years now and is still bright and shiny.

Another option is ply and EPDM.

Fibreglass can be good, but if there is any movement it can crack (even with expansion and contraction over the years) and is very messy to do in the first place.

[Edited on 16/8/15 by SteveWalker]

beaver34

posted on 16/8/15 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Personally, I like box section. I would have thought that if it is a proper carport (ie. open at the ends) then there should be no condensation problem. If you are going to close off the ends, then how about the box section that is pre-insulated on the back?

My garage roof is actually ply (existing), that I covered with galvanised box section, having got fed up of the various previous coverings failing. Been there for 5 years now and is still bright and shiny.

Another option is ply and EPDM.

Fibreglass can be good, but if there is any movement it can crack (even with expansion and contraction over the years) and is very messy to do in the first place.

[Edited on 16/8/15 by SteveWalker]

its is open but i plan to put some trellis at the sides and the rear but air will still circulate.

if going for the box is it work ply the roof before or just go straight box, my joints are 600mm apart

dilley

posted on 16/8/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Box section with ant condensation works great on my workshop. I have a 7x8 m lean too in box section without anticondensation and it drips like hell! This is with one side fully open....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.