Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small Workshop - Electricity Costs
FASTdan

posted on 19/8/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Small Workshop - Electricity Costs

I'm guessing there will be a few people on here that this will apply to. Just curious as to what the electricity bill per annum is for a small engineering workshop - really just after ballpark figures.

Reason I ask is that our utilities are currently paid to the landlord (this was agreed at the time etc) but I am now starting to suspect that we are massively overpaying (naivety on my part!).

I know there are a lot of variables, but I'm just after typical examples:

approx size of workshop
equipment running
lighting
electricity cost per annum? (including heating?)

To give you an idea, we occupy a tiny area in a larger unit. We TIG weld, grind, linish, saw, drill and ultrasonic clean. We use 1 x 3kw electric heater in the winter running at about 70%. We are now paying £1440 per annum for electric! I have begun monitoring the meter (albeit summer so no heating) and have deduced that we are using about 20 units per day! NOTE, we only work 3 days a week in the workshop.

But before I bring this up with the landlord I'm just looking for a bit more validation.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 19/8/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
What's a unit? Normally they're KWh? Normally in the order of 12-15p per KWh. Easy to know how much you should be being charged based on knowing your KWh usage.

ianm67

posted on 19/8/15 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
I'm guessing there will be a few people on here that this will apply to. Just curious as to what the electricity bill per annum is for a small engineering workshop - really just after ballpark figures.

Reason I ask is that our utilities are currently paid to the landlord (this was agreed at the time etc) but I am now starting to suspect that we are massively overpaying (naivety on my part!).

I know there are a lot of variables, but I'm just after typical examples:

approx size of workshop
equipment running
lighting
electricity cost per annum? (including heating?)

To give you an idea, we occupy a tiny area in a larger unit. We TIG weld, grind, linish, saw, drill and ultrasonic clean. We use 1 x 3kw electric heater in the winter running at about 70%. We are now paying £1440 per annum for electric! I have begun monitoring the meter (albeit summer so no heating) and have deduced that we are using about 20 units per day! NOTE, we only work 3 days a week in the workshop.

But before I bring this up with the landlord I'm just looking for a bit more validation.

Hello Dan,
On the basis of you working 3 days a week for 48 weeks of the year (a rough guess on my part), you are paying £10 for each day you are in the workshop. Without knowing the kw/hr energy costs it's difficult to say but at 12p per kw/hr your heater would only cost about £2 if you ran it at 70% for 8 hours...... Grinding and welding will be power hungry but in very small bursts so maybe another £3 worth.....
HTH,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

Talon Motorsport

posted on 19/8/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I and by that it's only me using any thing at one time maybe work any where between 24 and 48 hours a week to put some context in to the following. Workshop has 3 phase and is running a mill, lathe, coldsaw, compressor which is used the most by far for grit blasting and the odd bit of painting. I have 16 strip lights on all the time, the usual single phase power tools angle grinder, pillar drill, 200amp MIG, 200amp TIG, kettle. I'm on a meter when I'm busy I use around £40 a month so £480 a year but then I'm not paying for any water and I don't heat the shop because it does not retain heat, at all.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 19/8/15 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Talon's is much more in line with what I'd expect, but it's hard to tell unless you know your exact power use figures - but they're easy to get!

daniel mason

posted on 19/8/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware it's illegal for any landlord to profit from utility bills!
BenB

posted on 19/8/15 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sure is

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/74486/11782-resaleupdateoct05.pdf

Trouble is a lot of landlords will get arsey if you flag it up and put up the rent or chuck you out.

But officially they're acting illegally unless they're on the world's worst tariff. But basically Ofgem stipulate the maximum amount they can charge you is the amount they pay for it. Even if they fit an additional meter etc they can't put that cost onto you.

I'd ask to see a copy of the bill. Of course you don't know that that meter only supplies your workshop....

garyo

posted on 19/8/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Tell them your accountant has asked to see the bill, or some kind of audit trail...
slingshot2000

posted on 19/8/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I understood it, a landlord was allowed to over-charge by a maximum of 10%; to cover costs of extra meters and time involved in calculating. Coin meters were always set to charge this, even on snooker table timers.
I'd like to know what the total usage / cost is for the whole building.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.