Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Had a funny turn today
Wadders

posted on 22/8/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Had a funny turn today

I'm typing this from my sick bed.

Took some stuff to a mates today for spraying, felt absolutely fine, then suddenly felt dizzy and unbalanced, at this point
It was like being very mildly pissed.
Said mate suffers from vertigo so reckoned I should try laying down for a bit, spent an hour laid in the back of my van
While he sprayed my stuff.
Had a bit of a kip but when I woke up still felt weird and if I put my head forward things started to spin.
Drove home and went straight to bed for a lie down, by this time if I sat up I couldn't focus on anything the room
Just spun crazily, like when you are very very drunk.

Had another kip, then woke and felt slightly better, the mrs had been googling vertigo and said something about
A crystal in my ear and a procedure to dislodge it, I went along with this and she manipulated my head from side to side
As per the internet instructions.......oh boy big mistake! suddenly felt really sick, fortunately she got a bowl in time and
I hurled up....not pleasant.

Have now been horizontal for the last 5 hours or so except to go for a pee, which resulted in the room spinning again
However in the last hour I've managed to prop myself up in bed, eat some food and i can now focus without things spinning.
Must be on the mend cos I'm typing this, couldn't of done it 2 hours ago.

Any ideas ? Mrs thinks it could also be migraine, although I've never had one before and not got headache at all.

[Edited on 22/8/15 by Wadders]

pekwah1

posted on 22/8/15 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Some kind of inner ear condition i would say, that's where the body's balance comes from.
any kind of ear infection or anything around that area can cause the kind of symptoms you're describign...

joneh

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't ask for medical advice on here, get yourself off to the docs, or phone the NHS 111 number. I wouldn't be surprised if they phoned an ambulance for you.

[Edited on 22/8/15 by joneh]

BigFaceDave

I have had a few optical migranes or at least that's what I believe they where. Basically it was like a heat haze wherever I look and the only way I can get rid of it is to sleep it off which is the same as what I need to do for a normal migrane, I haven't had many but enough. I also once had a funny turn when popping my ears when I had a bit of a cold and I belive that may have been vertigo (my mum gets vertigo from time to time) which was also highly unpleasant but only lasted 5 mins although I felt a bit grim for a good couple of hours. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon!
AndyW

I was just about to suggest dehydration as it was 30+ degrees here today, but noticed your location is Yorkshire so couldn't be heat stroke. Only kidding, hope your better soon and if not get it checked out.

Cheers

jeffw

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Doctor/A&E or NHS 111 = Yes
Internet Forum about Kitcars = No

Simples.

coozer

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for this but one of my Mrs work blokes was having dizzy fits and falling over and its turned out to be a tumour on his brain... Not cancer, just a cyst... Its just behind his ear and pressing on things that's causing all sorts of problems. They have tried operating but its deep and the risk of causing brain damage is high!!

He has had all sorts of problems and is currently in the hospital with a tap in his neck as every time he leaned forward his nose ran with water, as well as blacking out, dizzy, sick etc..

His missus is above herself, missing work and trying her best for him. I feel very worried about the outcome I tell ya!

Get yourself along to the walk in or hospital as soon as fella!!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rusty nuts

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
As others have already suggested , get yourself checked out!!!
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 22/8/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Actually in his defence, if it was something car related that may have caused it this may be one of the best places to ask. We're not your typical hobbyists, and expose ourselves to materials and situations which are not that common and may be missed by a doctor.

On the flip side a doctor is also a bloody good idea

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

daniel mason

posted on 22/8/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I felt exactly the same at a race weekend at Blyton this year. I thought it was servere hay fever but have come to the conclusion it was sun stroke! Although I didn't actually puke,I felt like it for 36 hours!

[Edited on 22/8/15 by daniel mason]

Wadders

posted on 22/8/15 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice everyone, like most blokes I try to avoid the docs unless something important is actually hanging off

Feeling much better now, but it's been a strange few hours, will see how I feel in the morning, if it starts again I'm off to seek medical help.

Sorry to hear your story Coozer, got a mate in a similar position, in a wheelchair now with inoperable brain tumour........only a matter of time for him now.

On a brighter note my garage cupboard doors looked fab in Snap On Red, all 150 of them, well that's how many I it looked like to me this aft

[Edited on 22/8/15 by Wadders]

benchmark51

posted on 22/8/15 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
You need to check up on eyes and ears and the relationship between the two. Medical help needed for this not a car forum.
Except to say dont drive, killing yourself is one thing, killing someone else just aint fair.

craig1410

posted on 22/8/15 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it could be labyrinthitis but you should get it checked out professionally.

http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/page3.htm

As others have said, for heaven's sake don't drive if you are still not feeling right. Up here in Scotland we are still hearing daily updates on the FAI for the bin lorry deaths and it could all have been avoided if the driver had been more honest with his medical issues.

[Edited on 23/8/2015 by craig1410]

JC

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Have you been doing any painting? A few years ago, a student on a flying course I was running went home feeling sick after spinning - not unusual, but when he came in the next morning and complaints that the room was still spinning, we thought there was something up!

It transpired that he had an inner ear infection, similar to the bug that causes conjunctivitis, and that the most common route into the body was via emulsion paint I. The eye...he had been decorating at the weekend.

My sister also suffers from menieres - not pleasant.

So overall, +1 for the 'get a doctor to look at you!'

Hope you feel better soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
More than likely a inner ear issue. My mum had a similar thing. Docs will sort you out. Don't listen to the doom sayers about brain tumours etc. They are very very very rare. Go to the Docs or even a walk in centre
joneh

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
If you're led up with not much to do you could fix your avatar!
BenB

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Without a proper examination it's impossible to say. It could be bppv from a crystal , it could be labarynthitis, focal migraine.... Or other things.... Quite a long list of differential diagnoses.
David Jenkins

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I have occasionally suffered from BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) - the name sounds more dramatic than it really is! When I first went to the docs the conversation went as follows: "Turn your head this way. Now that way. Now this way... now just lie down on the couch until the world stops spinning". In my case, I learnt to manage it, and now it's gone away (hopefully).

But, as said above, just go and see a doc - it could be trivial, something that needs treatment, or it could be signs of something more important. You won't be thought of as a time-waster.

DapperRob

posted on 24/8/15 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
As per other replies, I hear that the NHS is marginally better than the LCB brethren at dishing out medical advice!

Walk-in centre, or is NHS Direct still a 'thing'?

R

blakep82

posted on 24/8/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Never google symptoms, or ask on a car forum*. The answer will almost always be head aids or something else deadly
Ask a doctor. Get to a&e or call NHS 24 (or whatever its called. Its something different up here)

*exception being there is a doctor on here somewhere

Weren't breathing in spraying fumes were you?

[Edited on 24/8/15 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JC

posted on 28/8/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
any news? Are you feeling better?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 29/8/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
any news? Are you feeling better?

Thanks for asking, yes I'm fully recovered. Was a strange do really, woke up next day feeling a bit out of sorts but felt fine the day after that with no recurrence so far.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/8/15 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just get yourself checked up, worth a half hour appointment. I spent years dealing with a sore back. Saw the GP occasionally and mentioned it was sore and I needed pretty heavy painkillers to get out of bed some days but generally just got on with it thinking "I'll be fine". About 2 months ago I was admitted to hosp unable to walk and losing the feeling in my legs. Apparently mind over matter and ignoring it doesn't cover herniated discs crushing your spinal chord and permanently damaging nerves.

rm0rgan

posted on 3/9/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote here for getting yourself checked by a Quack.

I had a BPPV episode once while in bed and honestly thought I was having a brain haemorrhage - it scared the life out of me.

I went to the doctor and he performed the Epley manoeuvre on me and it helped a bit but I had to repeat it a few times - he described it like playing one of those little games where you are trying to move a little ball around a path whilst avoiding the holes - eventually it settled down but have to say it was a very odd feeling.

Hope yours resolves well.

Sigs are uncool.

trextr7monkey

posted on 3/9/15 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Good to hear you are OK.
Our operating philosophy has always been "If you can get to the Dr's you can get to work " and in fairness for many years worked out ok. Over 2 years ago I thought I was just getting old -gained weight, lost hair felt tired not as fit as I used to be etc.
Turned out my thyroid had ceased to function and a blood test last September revealed a result which should have been single figures was in the hundreds. GP reckoned he'd never seen such a result in 35 years so the message is go and get it checked out even though things have settled
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.