Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions on my diffuser
dan8400

posted on 12/9/15 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions on my diffuser

Hi everyone.

I have had a bash at making a diffuser for my Tiger. I have included a picture below. Metal work really isn't my strong suit!

I am looking for comments on the effectiveness and look of the diffuser. All opinions and criticism is welcome (you won't hurt my feelings I promise).

The part is a work in progress but will be removed from the car and Black Powder Coated when finished

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dilley

posted on 12/9/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing they add is weight!!! Looks good though.
sdh2903

posted on 12/9/15 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley

Granted don't give much, if any, down force on a 7. But they do greatly help to reduce the parachute effect of the rear tub. So your comment isn't strictly true

sdh2903

posted on 12/9/15 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good btw!
dilley

posted on 12/9/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by dilley

Granted don't give much, if any, down force on a 7. But they do greatly help to reduce the parachute effect of the rear tub. So your comment isn't strictly true

I'm assuming you've fitted one then...

sdh2903

posted on 12/9/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
You assume correctly
SPYDER

posted on 12/9/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Round off those square corners and watch out for speed humps!
Adamirish

posted on 12/9/15 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Imo, chopping off the part that is bolted to the tub would look much better. Maybe just bolt it to the rearmost part of the chassis.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

bi22le

posted on 12/9/15 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore what the haters say, it reduces drag. The dirt on the bottom of mine and not sprayed up into the rear clam proves this.

I would try to use something over that pop rivets, seeing the blind ends does not look great. When in black it will look sharper. Also make sure you can easily take it off. I am always taking mine off, two screws fix it on.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MikeRJ

posted on 13/9/15 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Ignore what the haters say, it reduces drag. The dirt on the bottom of mine and not sprayed up into the rear clam proves this.

Just a flat plate would stop dirt getting sprayed up into the rear clam, so not sure how that proves anything?

mark chandler

posted on 13/9/15 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Round off those square corners and watch out for speed humps!

What he said

rusty nuts

posted on 13/9/15 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Imo, chopping off the part that is bolted to the tub would look much better. Maybe just bolt it to the rearmost part of the chassis.

Agreed . I may just use a flat sheet on the underside of my car

ReMan

posted on 13/9/15 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish

+1 good but imho that's taking the edge off a great job

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

dan8400

posted on 13/9/15 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the replies.

I take on board that the piece riveted to the tub doesn't look great, it is functional in two ways. It provides support but also covers a couple of rough bits underneath.

I could really do without it but it tidied up the panel (fibreglass) under it.

Suggestions on making it prettier? Maybe bolt it on with cap heads instead of rivets? Shape the corners etc? Unless there is an easier way of making the fibreglass tidy? Maybe a black stripe along the bottom edge? I don't know.

Thank you to everyone for the replies
Dan

[Edited on 13/9/15 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

benchmark51

posted on 13/9/15 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is a terrific job, well done. I have been thinking along those lines myself. Have question though, does it have to be removed for MoT test?
coozer

posted on 13/9/15 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Looks ok to me, all I would have done is fold that bit attaching to the panel under it but if its covering something then clean it up, get some button heads and spray the whole thing matt black.

As long as it is full cover with a flat floor it will improve handling and make the car ride better.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 13/9/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Just a flat plate would stop dirt getting sprayed up into the rear clam, so not sure how that proves anything?

No doubt. The extra bits beyond a flat panel are for show, but thats important to some. My one is just a single surface that curves up at the back, i like function but understand wanting something that looks trick.

As for fixing it on. I have created hangers that come down from the bodywork and then bend horizontally. A screw then goes through the bottom upwards into a rivnut. No fixings on show at all.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

dan8400

posted on 13/9/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
I think it is a terrific job, well done. I have been thinking along those lines myself. Have question though, does it have to be removed for MoT test?

I really do not know. I have just had an mot so I will tell you in around 12 months 😉

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

coozer

posted on 13/9/15 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=192273

Took mine for mot just like that and the tester didn't ask or bat an eyelid!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 13/9/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The amount of plastic coverings and cowlings on modern cars can only make testing MOT testing easier.

Correct me if I am wrong but if they are unable to see a part or get access to it they just say so and dont have to check it.

Rosco86

posted on 13/9/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
You've done a nice job on that, it will look well smart once painted, if it was me I would vinal a black band around the bottom 2 inches of the complete tub so when you fix your diffuser back on it blends in, also rad the two corners on that tag too!

My Build Thread

dan8400

posted on 13/9/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you everyone for your comments. I have been out for a long drive in her today on a variety of roads. It didn't hit the deck once. Even on an (admittedly low) speed bump. Nothing fell off, nothing rattled and everything seemed to stay where it was.

As regard driving. Not sure acceleration was noticeably better but it did seem less 'held back' at 'motorway' speeds. I have also removed the spare wheel during this modification and changed springs and dampers for new/different ones. All the mods together have made a big difference to how it goes and handles. So not sure if any one thing has made a huge difference but it all adds up I guess.

Overall I am happy. So the plan is to radius the sharp edges and file the cut lines. I will then drill out all the rivets to make it into smaller pieces. This way it'll all get powder coated and when I reassemble it there won't be anything missed.

Thank you for the replies and encouragement
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Volvorsport

posted on 13/9/15 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
find a disused airfield on a non windy day with a helper in the passenger seat ...

100 mph , into neutral coast down to 20 mph and repeat , timing the run , 10 times , get an average .

remove diffuser , repeat test , report back ..

not massively scientific , but will give you a feel if its done anything ...

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

dan8400

posted on 14/9/15 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Now you mention it, it did take longer to slow down when I backed off the loud pedal. I suppose the diffuser must be negating the parachute effect (even if it's in my head)

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Matt21

posted on 24/9/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good!

I'd go with powder coating over paint though, my original one ended up very chipped!

Also, you may find you get problems with your bends, I have made a couple now and those with very tight 90degree bends had all ended up splitting along the bend. Nice rounded curves solve this problem! nothing too extreme, I found bending it around the side of a piece of decking was ideal!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.