Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rugby - an amazing sport
Irony

posted on 27/9/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rugby - an amazing sport

Part of what I do is working in sport. All sorts of sport. From fencing to steeplechase, motor racing to dressage. I am not really into watching sports, I am not competitive. But I have been to a lot of sporting events.

I must admit I think rugby is the greatest team sport of them all. The players are the nicest toughest bloke's you will ever meet. Unbelievably professional. There is never any trouble at matches. They don't have to split the fans up. You can buy beer in the ground. I just can't understand why it comes second to football..........

theconrodkid

posted on 27/9/15 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
all down to opinion i spose,i wonder why so much time is devoted to mind numbing soaps and reality TV as oposed to science or nature documentries,prob the masses want mind numbing stuff so they get to call the shots ?.
agree with what you say about rugby players, once i was sent to start a coach carying a rugby team ,engine was seized solid i was a little scared to say the least but they took it in good stead and settled down to a long wait for a replacment whereas a similar situation with some football "suporters",even the driver done a runner when i gave him the bad news.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Slater

posted on 27/9/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, I like the way the players don't backchat or try to intimidate the ref, only the captain can talk to the ref. There is alot more respect from all sides.

Plus when a rugby player stays down, you know he's injured, unlike football players who regularly dive at the slightest glanced and also fake injuries just to get a foul or waste time. The sad thing is, decieving the referee is an accepted part of the football game.

I say......Footballers are just a bunch of lawn-fairys chasing a bag of wind.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 27/9/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all comments rugby is my sport too watch over anything else unless it has wheels and an engine

[Edited on 27/9/15 by ian locostzx9rc2]

coozer

posted on 27/9/15 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well, rugby's not for me really but I did watch a game on holiday a few weeks ago, Castleford v someone, it was quite good. The recent games on telly haven't been half as intriguing.

Crickets my game. There's no more respect for officials than that.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SJ

posted on 27/9/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with what you say about the players, and I'm not a football fan, but I think football is just a better 'designed' game.
Chaz

posted on 27/9/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Agree, I love the intricacy of the rules and the huge variety of players and strategy. It's amazing how different nations bring there own refreshing way to play the sport and the fans can still share the same stand! Football has a lot to learn. I don't have many strong opinions about much but I absolutely despise the 'us and them' of football. Guys who will quite happily bottle someone, key their car, shout profanities and do it every week and in any country, often looking for it. Why can't the players turn to the fans and tell them to grow up! Sorry I started by saying rugby is awesome and ranted a bit
TimC

posted on 27/9/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
It gets my vote.

Especially after last night.

bi22le

posted on 27/9/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im a big rugby fan, I have been playing it since I was a child.

It frustrates me how much the nation loves football compared to rugby. We have won the world cup in the last 40 years and hosting it this year. Most do not even know it is happening. No flags, outdoor TV or advertising.

It teaches gamesmanship, respect and that sport is for all shapes and sizes.

As is commonly said amongst rugby players;

"Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs, rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman!"

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Agreed, I like the way the players don't backchat or try to intimidate the ref, only the captain can talk to the ref. There is alot more respect from all sides.

Plus when a rugby player stays down, you know he's injured, unlike football players who regularly dive at the slightest glanced and also fake injuries just to get a foul or waste time. The sad thing is, decieving the referee is an accepted part of the football game.

I say......Footballers are just a bunch of lawn-fairys chasing a bag of wind.

I agree with all that - especially the bit about injury. The same applies for Rugby Union and Rugby League - both are normally fast and exciting, played by fit, tough men.

I especially like the way the ref is always talking to the players, warning them when they're likely to break a rule, etc.

The last 15 minutes of the South Africa v Japan game had my whole family shouting and cheering!

[Edited on 27/9/15 by David Jenkins]

StevenB

posted on 27/9/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The Ref Cams should be introduced in to football.
But the FA wouldn't dare for fear the Prems top English players would be
seen effing and jeffing at the ref.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.