Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: House of commons filibuster petition
BenB

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
OT: House of commons filibuster petition

Two discussion in the Commons (one on giving free hospital parking for carers and another on teaching First Aid to secondary school children) have both been prevented from occurring by an MP deliberately talking for so long there was no time left to actually discuss it. This is undemocratic, opinionated, disruptive and disrespectful to the other members (who have actually bothered to turn up). Unfortunately it is also currently totally possible under the current rules of the House of Commons.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111441

more details are available here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-block-bill-to-give-first-aid-training-to-children-by-talking-until-time-runs-out-a6742251.html< br />
Regardless of your views on teaching First Aid to schoolchildren or your political leanings (I think filibustering is done by all parties fairly equally) this really shouldn't be possible in a modern parliament.

Please consider passing this on to anyone who believes in democracy!

tegwin

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Signed...

Sadly filibustering is just one small part of the childish behavior of these people who hold our future in their sticky hands....

It should also be a rule that all mps have to have held a proper job and ideally a degree in something other than politics!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
signed

Filibustering is only used to actively avoid democracy, if the motion isn't going to be passed by a vote there is no point droning on.

[Edited on 21/11/15 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rf900rush

posted on 21/11/15 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Signed.

But won't make the problem go away.

Most of us in this nation are to comfortable. Which means no were near enough will do any thing to stop this control.

As a carer myself, I think the free parking for carers is wrong. Either no one should pay or the money raised for parking should go to the hospital.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 21/11/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Make no mistake this was not one MP acting on his own initiative. The House of Commons is a farce at the moment, a Government run by a Chancellor that is so far to the right he would quite happily send children up chimneys and a Labour party leader who is so not of this world that his own party has disowned him, the Liberal Democrats are unlikely to ever be trusted again.

North of the border we are relatively lucky the Scottish Parliament has since its' inception worked in a less "ya-boo sucks" way and continues to do so even though for the first time one party has absolute power. I can only hope it continues to work as smoothly.

[Edited on 21/11/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RichieW

posted on 21/11/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Signed.
theconrodkid

posted on 21/11/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
done.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/11/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Signed
There's no point pretending we have a democracy when some verbose prat can stop the process dead. It's not how I want my taxes to be wasted!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.