Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: India? Tourist e-visa application read this
britishtrident

posted on 24/1/16 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
India? Tourist e-visa application read this

I got landed with the job of applying for Indian Tourist e-visa for two non-computer literate friends. The whole process is a nightmare, the biggest single problem being the payments system via the Bank of India which may or may not allow you to complete the transaction.

There are other things to watch out for are the photo and passport scan requirements are quite strict.

The Tourist e-visa can only be applied for between 1 month (!!!) and 4 days before travel.

After completing one application the payment for which went through on the 5th attempt, The payment for the second application would not complete no matter what I did. I tried all the solutions suggested on Tripadvisor but none worked,

By now running out of time solution was to use a visa application agency but if doing so check the costs as most of these agencies charge ripp off fees. The one I found was Visagenie who gave good quick service at a very reasonable charge.

[Edited on 24/1/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coozer

posted on 24/1/16 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

LBMEFM

posted on 24/1/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
We go to India on a regular basis the easiest way to obtain a visa is though an agency, it costs but it's a lot easier. Have a look on the Indian Embassy web site for more details
shindha

posted on 24/1/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned by LBMEFM it will be easier for you to get a travel agent to handle it for you especially if you can get an travel agent of Indian descent it doesn’t cost a great deal either. I am of Indian descent and even I can’t get my head around the system it changes so frequently and the requirements change randomly as well. We last went about a year ago and most of my family got the visa’s via a travel agent.
Incidently which part of India are you going to and when - just curious.

JC

posted on 24/1/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
We always use an agent - we go there a lot.

Know of 1 guy who didn't use an agent and got it wrong and was deported to Dubai on arrival......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveRST

posted on 25/1/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I successfully applied for an Indian Visa last year using this site: http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/

Yes I remember it being very bureaucratic, convoluted and paperwork intensive - that's India for you!
Also - Visa fees for UK passport holders are extortionate (much more than the rest of the EU). I paid £102 all-in including courier service to return my passport/documents.

I recall having to provide the name of the person that I'll be staying with in India, their phone number and the address I would be staying at. I didn't know anyone in India! I provided the name/address of the first Guest House I'd be staying at on my arrival.

Steve

JMW

posted on 25/1/16 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I applied using the new system late last year and while it is a horrible process (worth scratchpadding your previous countries visited list for example to use in your second application) it did work first time for the two applications I was making. Maybe I was lucky.

The restriction only allowing application to be made with a month of first travel is ridiculous and just adds to the stress if anything goes wrong as you feel you are running out of time.

Whatever, take a paper copy of it with you (take 2 copies even) as despite your passport no. linking to the e-app, some officials will still want to see a piece of paper.

Also, as you can't get Indian currency outside of India easily, take USD in 1$ denominations to get you going tip-wise. Even $1 is a big tip to a hotel porter.

nick205

posted on 25/1/16 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Never been to India so can't comment directly on that, but when we visit China we obtain visas via an agency - fast, easy and not expensive either.

JC

posted on 25/1/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair to the Indians, my application for a C1D1 Crew visa for the USA was FAR more convoluted and required an interview in the Embassy in London!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.