Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New garage build
sdh2903

posted on 6/3/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
New garage build

Not sure if this belongs in the projects thread or even if anyone's interested but a couple of weekends ago I finally broke ground on my new garage build.

It's been a long old slog to get permission to build, 14 months to be precise, as there's 2 sewer lines run through my property and I had to get a build over agreement. Due to this I managed to get permission to build a timber framed structure on a heavy duty (230mm double reinforced) concrete slab. This then caused a bit of a stir with building standards as I was asking to build a 3 sided timber framed garage onto the side of the house, which as they stated they don't see very often. After beefing up the spec yet again I got a building warrant to go with my build over agreement. Yay.

Now, I'm not a lover of groundworks so the plan was to contract this out and then id build the rest. Due to a combination of illness, downright unreliability and weather 3 contractors dropped our on me. So back to the old saying, you want something doing.......

A weekend in a digger later, 30 tons of soil removed, 20 ton of hardcore spread out and I had made a right mess of the front garden but had a space where the garage and driveway extension will be.

Gg1
Gg1

DPM down. Formwork in place. Mesh in and ready for concrete fun.

Gg12
Gg12

5 cubic meters of Concrete in and reasonably smoothed. Not as silky smooth as I'd like but for a first ever time doing it was pretty pleased.

Gg2
Gg2

Block work dwarf wall laid.

Gg3
Gg3

Timber frames now going up, excuse the wobbly noggins my lad was left in charge of the screwdriver!

Gg5
Gg5

Gg6
Gg6

Waiting on my trusses now which should be here this week then I can get it weather tight ish until the roller door is delivered.

[Edited on 6/3/16 by sdh2903]

JMW

posted on 6/3/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
progress

I'm interested. Keep us updated please.
Smoking Frog

posted on 6/3/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good but why didn't you build to edge of the base on the left. That exposed concrete will transmit damp to the inside. Although I'm so you have a plan.
sdh2903

posted on 6/3/16 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Looks good but why didn't you build to edge of the base on the left. That exposed concrete will transmit damp to the inside. Although I'm so you have a plan.

It's not ideal I know but was specified to have the overlap at all 3 sides. I have a very slight run on the levels so it runs away and have dug in a perforated drain down the side to assist in drainage. Hopefully will keep the wet stuff out

bi22le

posted on 6/3/16 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Im interested!

I want to build a garage at the end of my garden within the next few years.

I know very little about buildings, so i have some stupid questions!

What size is this and can you give more details on costs?
Why did you go wood?
How much of the wood is prefab?
Are you following any particular guide, i could build a garage but i would not know about membranes and structural distances for things. Any gid paves to read up on this kind of stuff?

[Edited on 6/3/16 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

sdh2903

posted on 7/3/16 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Size is 3.2m wide by 6m long, would've liked it a bit bigger but because it's timber has to stay 1m from the boundary. If it was block built I could've applied for full planning and gone right to the boundary as my neighbour had no objections.

Cost wise, I'm keeping tabs and estimate its going to come in at 5-6 grand. But the driveway also needs redoing which is going to be another 2 or 3k. I have splashed out here and there on luxuries such as an electric roller door and some ex display kitchen units so could have been a bit cheaper.

One thing that surprised me was the cost of the ground works. I was the best part of £2k in ground works, digger and compactor hire, 2 grab truck loads of soil taken away, 20 ton of hardcore, mesh, 5 cu metres of concrete etc all adds up. And that was me doing it all myself. I had quotes of 2500 up to 6000 to do this work by contractors.

Why wood? No choice unfortunately. The water board insisted that they would not allow a block built structure on a raft foundation. They would have wanted concrete lintels over the sewers and strip foundations down to the depth of the pipes. They are 2.5m down so you can imagine the amount of excavation down and concrete required. I rough estimated well over 10k in foundation work alone. Good thing is tho its cheap and I can cut and fab all the timber myself where I would have had to employ a brickie to do blocks.

Only prefab parts are the roof trusses which were pretty good value. My roof is running front to back so it's a 6m span. I'm getting 6 trusses delivered for 300 quid. I would have struggled to make them for that.

Google is your friend. Lots of info out there. Even on here. Sam 68 gave me lots of useful info as he's a timber guru. It's quite straightforward to be honest. 6"x2" framework at 600mm centres. Vapour barrier of damp proof membrane. 15mm OSB3 sheathing. Breathable membrane over that. Then 25mm battens ready for your exterior cladding.

sdh2903

posted on 13/3/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update.

Roof trusses arrived. My mate was delayed so i ended up fitting them myself, not fun and it was peeing down but was determined to get em done.

[img][/img]

When my assistant arrived we got the trusses braced and roof sarking on.

Roof membraned and we've now got the cement board on the outside, first time using this stuff, its a waterproof exterior cement board which is waterproof with no render for 6 months. Its not nice to work with tho, its bloody heavy and quite delicate. Was very sore by the time we'd finished.

Id actually forgotten to get quotes in for rendering so now on the hunt for a roughcaster asap as i want it rendered before fitting the roller door which is due this week.

Next steps, roof slates coming tomorrow, sparky coming to first fix and then can crack on getting the interior boarded out.

[Edited on 13/3/16 by sdh2903]

[Edited on 13/3/16 by sdh2903]

Volvorsport

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen quite a few timber garages that are less than 1 metre from the edge of property? Was the specified for any reason?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

sdh2903

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I understand if it's built from a combustible material it's to be a metre from the boundary. I'm no expert by any means and my architect implied the same.
nick205

posted on 14/3/16 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Does it have openings both ends?

Very smart if so as you'll be able to move stuff right through into the rear of the property.

coozer

posted on 14/3/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good but did you try a pre cast concrete garage? Or, did you think about a container? £1200 for a 45' container. Maybe not wide enough for you??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sdh2903

posted on 14/3/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Precast concrete were surprisingly expensive. Even with only 3 sides. Containers are great but if I told the mrs I was putting a container there I would prob end up divorced

By the way any roughcasters on here? Just wondered what the going rate per sq M is for a dry cast? I've had wildy differing quotes.

sdh2903

posted on 15/3/16 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
More progress yesterday and today. Roof is now battened and counter battened. Wall has been cut ready for leadwork which was a proper messy dusty job!!

Slates started but am now held up waiting for my soaker channels to arrive which were supposed to be here last friday

Oh and my shiny lectric roller door arrived this morning.

sdh2903

posted on 28/3/16 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an overdue update.

Roof soaker channels finally turned up so I could crack on with the lid.

Roughcasting underway!

Whilst the guys were Roughcasting I cracked on with insulating, I know it's not as good as the pir boards but it was a gumtree bargain at 50 quid for the whole garage. It's 150mm so should keep the chill off.

Exterior render finished and the door hung just manually for now.

Interior has had all electrics ran in and boarded with fireline board, it's being skimmed today/tomorrow so I should be able to start moving in this week

hkp57

posted on 28/3/16 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, don't do what I did with my first garage at the last house.

Moved in too quick then had a huge pain in the ass to finish the floor covering, wall painting etc.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

sdh2903

posted on 28/3/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I hear ya. Would have loved to get the floor painted prior to move in but need to wait another couple of weeks as the slab is fresh. Walls will be painted at the end of the week hopefully prior to my kitchen install.
bi22le

posted on 28/3/16 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
looking good.

Do you have a running cost?

It sounds like your doing all of the manual and easier work yourself and leaving certain jobs to the pros. As a friend said to me recently " I would do pretty much any building work myself except for pouring concrete, block work and plastering" I think that about sums me up as well.

After reading your garage build, as I asked before, I just would not know what needs to be done. Not that I cant do it.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

sdh2903

posted on 28/3/16 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I am running right on my upper budget limit at 6k at present. Only items left to purchase are the gutters, downpipes and wall/floor paint so ill be a couple of hundred quid over. Main due to the overrun is I'd underestimated the price to get the exterior rendered.

I've done everything apart from rendering and plastering. The electrics are run in and will be commissioned and tested by a sparky mate. I need an electrics cert to get my building completion cert anyway.

I've enjoyed the build but it's taken over my life for the past few weeks and I'm knackered!!

sdh2903

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Overdue update.

Walls skimmed, always in awe of a good plasterer, black art.

Which meant I could get the electrics commissioned. I went for 4 high frequency 5ft fluorescent battens with cool white tubes. Old hat yes, but cheap and very bright. Couldn't justify the treble cost of Led. This also meant I could wire in my roller door and stand at the bottom of the drive watching it go up and down like a 5 year old boy with a big grin

Production then stopped for a weekend due to biting the bullet and getting the driveway sorted, mainly due to the place being a mess but also due to us being driven insane by muddy paw and kid footprints in the house constantly. So Fri afternoon the place looked 10 times worse

Then on Sunday looked 100 x better

This then opened up exterior finishing touches such as guttering etc. Interior was all given 3 coats of white and my kitchen units fitted.

I still need a couple of wall units for the rest of my bits and bobs, few little finishing touches and the floor to paint and I think I'm done!!

Andybarbet

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, that's looking fantastic inside & out, the driveway has finished it off a treat, frontage looks really neat.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

sdh2903

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks it's actually a poor pic. I'll put one up in decent light which looks smarter. We're getting the turf relaid this week to finish it off then ill get the council round to IVA it!
rdodger

posted on 10/4/16 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
You don't mess about!

Looks great!

Your garage kitchen is 100 times better than my house kitchen!

twybrow

posted on 10/4/16 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
That looks awesome! I desperately need to knock down my asbestos filled workshop and build new. I also need to do the driveway, but I am crapping myself at the potential cost!
hkp57

posted on 11/4/16 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going to go the extra mile now you have a great work space, small scissor lift makes a huge difference when working on a low slung seven, not for even working under it bu bring the hubs and engine up to a good working Height?

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

sdh2903

posted on 11/4/16 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Haha the kitchen. Yes it's caused issues in my house too as its in better nick than the one in the house

The mrs works for a well known orange diy store and it was an ex display model that she picked up very very cheap. It's a top of the range job it's even got soft close hinges and drawers!!!

Yes the driveway was tough to take but needed doing as the mess was doing every ones head in. If you are getting it done get plenty of quotes as the prices we were quoted varied massively.

With regards to the lift. I'd hoped to be able to have a 2 post lift before I'd started building but because of the conditions applied by the water board it just ain't gonna happen. I had seen your solution with the scissor lift and looks very tidy. With getting the drive done Its wiped out my project fund so it'll be a while before I need to worry about lifts

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.