Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the scam here?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/5/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the scam here?

I've got a car up for sale on ebay with my personal phone number in the classified ad'

I got a text earlier which came up on my android phone as a name (not a number as most unknown texts do)

"Hi, I am interested in your vehicle from ebay, please contact me at: (same name as text)@gmail.com"

Seemed odd to me so thought I would check out before e-mailing

I hit call and then cancelled it immediately so that I could see what the number was and it was a 7 digit number, not a normal phone no.

I googled the number and it fired up a twitter account of someone "Name of texter@Number it came from" some low level musician from an American city who hasn't done a twitter in over 2 years.

I'm sure its something dodgy but does anyone kinow what the scam is? Are they trying to get a name, phone number, car reg and e-mail address?

Its a pretty rare car (Alfa 155) and its not taxed or insured so don't think its somebody cloning it

Just wondering if I should be keeping an eye out for anything dodgy in particular.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 25/5/16 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
You used to be able to send SMS messages from websites - if you still can then that may be how you were contacted.

Otherwise it doesn't sound quite right to me.

Benzine

posted on 25/5/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Currently selling a vehicle on ebay too. I've just got a similar (same?) text from 'Stanley', same text as yours. No results for his email address though.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 25/5/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
You might find the scam comes after you make contact but the whole thing seems a bit odd.

Google brought up THIS Which sounds like it could be similar.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Retroboltsuk

posted on 25/5/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
the number is probably premium rate. so will cost you a small fortune and the other guy makes a profit.
x_flow57

posted on 25/5/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had a txt from "Stanley" this afternoon about my car add on the bay.
Decided it was to dodgey to reply to.

miskit

posted on 25/5/16 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the scam will come later, will be the standard fake paypal or overpaying scam.

You can safely ignore any message relating to "your item" or "your vehicle" as it is just a web crawler lifting the details, searching for a phone number and sending an SMS via the internet as it's free and untraceable. Delete and move on.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/5/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
It was Stanley who text me. I assume it's a bot trawling ebay for phone numbers. Obvious I haven't e-mailed the address it sent me.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.