Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Unknown Chassis
totalnoob

posted on 22/7/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Unknown Chassis

Hi All,

Im looking starting my first build and have found this unknown chassis. The guy says it has MX5 gear on it and looking at it the rear end seems to have the mx5 subframe complete with diff. He thinks it is a GBS chassis but looking at them i cant see it
Any help would be greatly appriciated
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SpF6njHbcMVUg4emloeTNwZlk[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SpF6njHbcMUm8wUHhac3piUVk[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SpF6njHbcMUXBzYjNPVnpHWGM[/img]

totalnoob

posted on 22/7/16 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote

totalnoob

posted on 22/7/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote

joneh

posted on 22/7/16 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look like a modern GBS to me, more like an MX5 adapted Haynes based chassis. I guess it could be an early one. Hopefully someone will come along with a positive ID for you.
totalnoob

posted on 22/7/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I was thinking. The engine mounts look like the right position for a mx5 engine. Not too sure how it would drive with mx5 subframe fitted
Slimy38

posted on 22/7/16 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Doesn't look like a modern GBS to me, more like an MX5 adapted Haynes based chassis. I guess it could be an early one. Hopefully someone will come along with a positive ID for you.

I agree, that bottom front wishbone looks like the Saturn design for the MX5 version of Haynes.

quote:
Originally posted by totalnoob
That's what I was thinking. The engine mounts look like the right position for a mx5 engine. Not too sure how it would drive with mx5 subframe fitted

Considering seven's are usually made with the 'add lightness' principle in mind, that is a fat a$$ to stick on a lightweight car!! The subframe isn't light, and I'm 80% sure he would have had to extend the back end a bit further out to get it to fit. Wave bye-bye to any off the shelf rear tubs!!

He'd have done better continuing with the MX5 mods and built up a proper mount for just the diff. Or gone for a Talon diff case and made it even simpler.

totalnoob

posted on 22/7/16 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think im gonna go the Talon route. I've got my donor car, just need to take the jump and buy the chassis
Thanks for your help

hizzi

posted on 22/7/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
im building a talon mx5 car just now build threads on haynes forum as richardh and roadsterbuilders as hizzi

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.