Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage conversion - oh dear
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/9/16 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going to get building regs? if so you will have top follow their spec. However, I for one would not cast any stones over just getting on with it.

One thing I would suggest, and partly depends if you are worried about noise from the neighbours garage, would be to use soundboard for the party wall.
Also on the rear wall, assuming this will be the only one that is an external wall, maybe a waterproofing slurry. In fact, that can be used on the party wall if there is no damp proof course. It is easy enough to apply yourself, and remember builders will usually tell you things (eg damp proofing etc) will be fine/never had an issue, but YOU decide how you want it done. Better to put in the extra now rather than remedial work later.

Personally, I would build a 4x2 stud framework attached to the walls with galvanised brackets. Carefully stuff that with cellotex. Then a vapour barrier, then an inch of cellotex and board over the whole lot. Roof, I think current regs is 300mm of rockwool......But all that takes up space, but a total of 3" of cellotex insulation would probably be workable. You should need less against your house wall, but remember it will still be cold from the exposed part above teh roof.

Do your research on vapour barriers, ventilation and so on. That is important, and many builders are not conversant (neither am I, but BIL, a RICS surveyor, explains stuff to me which I always forget!)

And don't be afraid to ask difficult questions of the builder, and more important don't let him fob you off with lame excuses.

stevebubs

posted on 2/9/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Have you talked to the neighbours to see if they would be amenable to building above their garage also? Doing a joint project would bring benefits to both of you, and also bring costs down...
nick205

posted on 5/9/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Given the option I'd like a detached 6 bed house with 4 garages

Surely that's a typo and should read, "4 bed house with 6 garages."

Could be, but with 3 kids to deal with I want space around each one and spare rooms as well. The property I have in mind would also have ample space to build more garage and workshop space as required. Tat said it would also have a very large shed to house bikes, scooters etc

Dick Axtell

posted on 5/9/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
G'day everybody.

What a fascinating topic! Of significant interest, because so many "integral" garages round my way (Birmingham suburbia) have been rendered into an extra room.

I noted all the references to various regulations concerning insulation and brickwork, and pondered just how many of these local garage conversions would meet the planning/building regs. In my (ahem) "humble opinion", very few. I've seen several where the householder simply bought in a load of bricks & blocks, bricked up the doorway, and lined the garage with plasterboard. Simples!!

Who's gonna ask questions?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

sdh2903

posted on 5/9/16 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
You can I suppose do what you please but in the case of an insurance claim or if you move then you are screwed.

I've done battle with the council twice now in the past 2 years for converting the garage and then building another garage and to be honest it wasn't too bad and I now have all the legit certs and know its done to the correct standards. Especially as we too put a child in the converted garage, well I say child, he's now 20 but still has the mental age of a 6 year old sometimes.

However I also had to deal with scottish water with the new garage build and that was a nightmare. Totally incompetent and unreasonable. If I had to do it again I'd just crack on with it and plead ignorance.

02GF74

posted on 5/9/16 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
could one of the bedrooms be divided into 2 - bunk bed so that space below it can be used - or just too small?

spiderman

posted on 5/9/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Dig down and have a subterranean garage/workshop with a lift to bring the car up to ground level.

Spider

nick205

posted on 14/9/16 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
An estate agent has valued the house and commented that they are trying to sell the same house in an adjacent street. The owner has converted the garage without building regs and the agent is having some trouble selling it. I want ours done properly with the correct paperwork/certificates etc. to ease insurance and possible future sale of the house. The builder estimating is a family friend who has already done some good work for us and i trust his guidance.

Insulation seems to be the biggest point and will be taken care of. The up and over garage door will stay on the front so the front view of the house will remain unchanged. All other garage walls already have a DPC present and any internal walls would have the same included.

ravingfool

posted on 14/9/16 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
could one of the bedrooms be divided into 2 - bunk bed so that space below it can be used - or just too small?

Just to throw this out there, when I was younger some friends of mine lived in a house with very limited bedroom space but imaginatively they managed to convert one room into two by essentially having a set of bunkbeds in the middle of the room and using them as part of the division for the room.

What would have been a reasonable double room then became two small rooms each with a single bed, one using the bottom of the bunkbed and one using the top. By removing the original door, adding some panelling and a couple of narrow doors for each part of the room they both ended up with useable rooms which saw them through until they went to uni and although sound obviously travelled between the two little rooms fairly easily it still meant they had sufficient privacy from each other.

Hell of a lot cheaper than a garage conversion!

Matt21

posted on 14/9/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
10yr old? surely old enough to fend for themselves by now?

A photo of your house and floor plans would be handy so people can give you advice on what you have rather than what they think you might have.
Building above the garage on yours and the neighbours house would be the best option.
Or even building on yours and joining the pitched roof of theirs into your new wall? (a photo would help here)

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

nick205

posted on 22/9/16 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
The boys already have bunk beds in their shared room and TBH the room isn't big enough to divide in some way. The issue SWMBO and I foresee is the older (larger) they get the less space they'll have. They currently shared a chest of drawers and have a small desk each. With their own rooms space becomes less of an issue and so will the disagreements between them. The loss of garage bothers me and not them really - once converted it's unlikely to ever go back to being a garage.

[Edited on 22/9/16 by nick205]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.