Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Call for help. More EU rules (not car related)
rf900rush

posted on 10/10/16 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Call for help. More EU rules (not car related)

As well as my love of cars, I enjoy model aircraft flying (When I get a chance).

Our EU friends have decided that these craft which Include model drones are to be Governed by the EU rules. I believe this includes
Registration as full size aircraft.
This is a part copy of the Email I received from my local club.

quote:

Dear BMFA Member/Club As you will have read in the latest BMFA news the European Law Makers want to bring in Strict control over what they call drones, unfortunately the are having a hard time differentiating between Multi Rotor/Quads and the type of craft flown by the majority of us, so the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) are classing all unmanned aircraft (UAs) as drones. These new rulings will affect us all and despite the fact that we are actually leaving the Common Market the will still be in affect once we finally leave the EU. What can we do, as Dave Phipps put in the article we can contact our MP’s MEP’s and EASA and urge then not to proceed with this. Something along the lines of: I would suggest you express serious concern over this Prototype Regulation, highlight the good safety record of model aircraft operation under the control of the BMFA in collaboration with the CAA and that "traditional" model aircraft operation be clearly separated from "Drone" operation which is very different. Express your confidence in the BMFA (with the CAA) regulating Model aircraft operation safely wihin the UK. Stuart Willis

If you feel this is wrong please sign the Government petition. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168112

Thank Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/10/16 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
People who build and fly model aircraft are 100% sensible people the same can't be said for those who buy drones.
How do you preserve a hobby that has existed for more than a century and protect people from idiots and terrorists?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

joneh

posted on 10/10/16 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm tough one. It only takes a small handful of people to ruin something for a majority. Stricter guidelines and punishment are without a doubt required before someone flys one through the rotors of an approaching B733.

I personally don't agree that they should distinguish between the two. Anyone can go out and buy either type of craft but there has to be a better way to address the issue. Maybe stricter no fly zones?

JC

posted on 10/10/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I can understand your frustration as someone with a long established hobby that is being ruined by others, I would be interested to know how you would propose to differentiate between a remotely piloted model aircraft, and a remotely piloted, errr, model aircraft!

Dubai International was shut last week because of an infringement of its airspace by a 'drone' and it is only a matter of time before there is a collision with an aircraft somewhere. There has to be some sort of regulation - even if it is a simple as forcing everyone to be 'regulated' by the BMFA.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/10/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Model flying has existed for upwards of 100 years in one form or another, and even in recent years there has not been a single collision with a commercial aircraft.

The important thing to remember is that there is a mass of extremely stringent rules in place to deal with models that fly into controlled airspace - but they don't get enforced. There is no publicity or instruction that tells people who buy multicopters etc. that there are regulations in place, with no-one (and no systems) around to make sure that rules are obeyed. Only a few people have been found guilty of breaking these flying rules, and some have received massive fines - with very little useful publicity to discourage the rest.

The full extent of the proposed laws are well described here:

And Yes, he is a New Zealander, but he explains why everyone should get concerned in his video.

morcus

posted on 10/10/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, your problem is a massive rise in idiots buying remotely piloted aircraft equipped with cameras and operating them in ways that are already illegal.

I used to work with UAVs and worked with the CAA on the legal side for small remotely piloted craft and they had to follow pretty much all the same rules as a full size plane and legally operating anything with camera equipment is almost impossible unless you own a massive amount of land. If they just punished the people already breaking the law there probably wouldn't be a need for new laws.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Shooter63

posted on 10/10/16 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
This sort of crap always hacks me off, instead of using the existing laws to govern these muppets, the chinless wonders think up a new stupid law just to keep themselves in work
I would have thought the easiest thing to do was to licence the drones and leave the model aircraft guys alone, but what do I know.

Shooter

Canada EH!

posted on 11/10/16 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help with the EU but we are having the same problems on the other side of the pond.

Transport Canada has been working with the Model Areonautics Association of Canada and have left model aviation mostly as it has been. With more responsibility on those operating quad copters and the like especially for remuneration.

Our neighbours to the south, the excited states, have come up with a $5.00 fee which allots a registration number similar to general aviation, one registration number to be attached to all model aircraft operated by one individual.

Transport Canada has suggested the operators MAAC number and phone number be placed inside the aircraft for identification in case of an accident or damage caused. All MAAC members are covered by a million dollars liability.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Similar setup in the UK up until this time - the folks in the CAA are reasonably happy to let model fliers continue as they have been for years, as long as they obey the laws. They haven't been too bothered so far, so haven't felt the need to change laws. However, I'm sure they've been monitoring the "idiots with drones" situation...

BMFA members have multi-million Pound 3rd-party liability insurance as long as you obey their own rules.

loggyboy

posted on 11/10/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Signed.

Regulations are needed, but not those.

Its a simple as requiring club membership, designated area for 'fun' flights, and registration and training for those using them in commercial/business situations.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.