Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Washer Dryer fix needed!
PSpirine

posted on 25/10/16 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Washer Dryer fix needed!

Locost collective, I need your collaborative brain cells to help me fix this.

Our washer dryer is playing up - basically on dry mode, it will heat up, and after about 5 minutes or so trip the thermal fuse. When it cools down, I can reset it, and repeat the process.

This is obviously somewhat inconvenient for drying anything larger than a mouse's underpants...

Can somebody guide me to troubleshooting/fixing the problem?

I've checked the thermal fuses, they're OK (conduct ok, trip ok)
Heater element clearly works since it heats up
Fan motor works fine
I've tested the sensor and it registers the right sort of resistance and responds to temperature changes (goes from about 50000 Ohms to 10000)

Is it likely to be the actual ECU/control board? I can't see any other sensors to check....

Is it worth just replacing that sensor and seeing if it helps?

Do thermal fuses "fail" i.e. could it be tripping at a lower temperature than it should?

Sorry, complete newb when it comes to domestic appliances!

Cheers

PSpirine

posted on 25/10/16 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote

miskit

posted on 25/10/16 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
This might be a bit basic, but if it is a condenser dryer have you checked the condenser /exchanger is not bunged up, also the main dryer filter. In fact generally check that there is not a sock block somewhere in the dryer system outlet side

Then there is the google fix of "model + problem" - UK Whitegoods forum is great for answers as well .

[Edited on 25/10/16 by miskit]

britishtrident

posted on 25/10/16 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Split the zinc-aliminium alloy heater duct at the top of the machine and clean the fluff it out, Then clear out the fan casing and check the fan is operating, then clean gunge out the semi-circular plastic condensor duct, check the water spray at the bottom of the duct is operating.

[Edited on 25/10/16 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 25/10/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adithorp

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking at a blockage; Either something like a sock or just a build up of lint in a filter... and remember faulty dryers are one of the top causes of house fires. Be careful!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

v8kid

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Taking the longer term view is would be more low-cost to junk the combined washer dryer and install separate units

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 26/10/16 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Taking the longer term view is would be more low-cost to junk the combined washer dryer and install separate units

They just need cleaned out fairly regularly, usually yearly and the efficiency returns to normal. Any condensing dryer will suffer much the same problems It isn't rocket science just a couple of heating elements with thermal cut-off switches , a fan and a direct contact (water spray) condensor
First time you do it seems daunting butwith it is fairy easy just a few tools needed, stubby crosshead screw driver, and some 1/4" drive metric sockets. A good stubby Phillips screwdriver is essential as there is not a lot of room to access the fan housing and condensor duct retaining screws.
The problems are nearly always due to fluff build up from Kleenex tissues and fluffy socks, In this case I suspect there is so much build up of fluff on the fan the fan isn't circulating air.
The alloy heating duct at the top of the system has to be removed and prised open and any Kleenex type debris removed.
The plastic condensor duct always tend accumulate wool and cotton fibres --- a small drain cleaning brush as sold by pound shops is ideal for clearing this.

[Edited on 26/10/16 by britishtrident]

[/I]

nick205

posted on 26/10/16 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Lint or some form of blockage would be my first approach. Our 6 year old Hotpoint condenser dryer recently packed up and being that it runs daily with a family of 5 I took the executive (wallet holding) decision to junk it. A replacement dryer was £189 from Currys and available there and then.

I have fixed washers and dryers before and can recommend espares as a good source of parts at reasonable prices. They're pretty quick with delivery too.

http://www.espares.co.uk/

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

scotty g

posted on 26/10/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how much fluff builds up inside a dryer, had to replace the belt on mine a few weeks ago and it had only been serviced 5 months previously, it was loaded with the stuff! I must have really fluffy laundry?
britishtrident

posted on 26/10/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
It's amazing how much fluff builds up inside a dryer, had to replace the belt on mine a few weeks ago and it had only been serviced 5 months previously, it was loaded with the stuff! I must have really fluffy laundry?

One or two Kleenex left in pocket make one hell of a mess.

[/I]

PSpirine

posted on 28/10/16 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, will give that a go, blockage would make sense, I just never thought it would clog up the actual duct, thought there'd be a filter somewhere further away from the heater/fan!

Dryer's been in use for a couple of years, and we also have a rather fluffy pug in the house, so wouldn't be surprised if between leftover tissues, fluffy blankets and dog hair, a blockage might be quite likely...

Cheers, knew I could rely on you lot!

PSpirine

posted on 29/10/16 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Blocked dryer tube under the silver duct due to tissues and a piece of paper! Removed (with difficulty), now working well again..

You guys are geniuses.

thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.