Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kids diy toy help
sdh2903

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Kids diy toy help

My 5 year old has a homework project to build a toy which also makes a noise. Little be known to me but my wife received the brief 2 weeks ago, now it's been thrown to me with 2 days to go.

I had thought a simple abacus. Educational but can be noisy

Throwing it out there, any suggestions? Needs to be materials I can nip out and buy locally as no time for mail order parts.

[Edited on 29/11/16 by sdh2903]

loggyboy

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMXC284JrSU

Mistral Motorsport

slingshot2000

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMXC284JrSU

Brilliant !
Love the accent, too !

nick205

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I share your pain! I've spent the last few days helping no.1 son with a school "Victorian" project. His chosen subject was to compare a Victorian telephone with an iPhone. My task has been to oversee materials and making of a model of each phone followed by a write up of how each phone works and the amazement of iPhones

Wouldn't mind, but I'm not an iPhone fan to start with!

Good luck with your task and let's hope the teacher marks you well for your input

bi22le

posted on 29/11/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I know he is only 5 and he probably wont have a phone but hey ho.

This still blowsy mind!!

https://youtu.be/7YWTtCsvgvg

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gremlin1234

posted on 29/11/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I share your pain! I've spent the last few days helping no.1 son with a school "Victorian" project. His chosen subject was to compare a Victorian telephone with an iPhone. My task has been to oversee materials and making of a model of each phone followed by a write up of how each phone works and the amazement of iPhones

Good luck with your task and let's hope the teacher marks you well for your input
I would go up to the loft, and find an original Bakelite phone, and send them with that, else a couple of tin cans / paper cups and some string ;-)

LBMEFM

posted on 29/11/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Several years ago my daughter came home from primary school and said they were doing the Victorians and did I have any pictures of me during that period - damn cheek.
steve m

posted on 29/11/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
How about a
hair comb and some tracing paper, makes a type musical instrument or playing card and a peg, mounted on a bike frame, and falls onto the spokes, makes a nice motor bike sound,

Or as per the bake beans advert, make a set of drums from various tin cans, (just don't cut yourself)

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

trextr7monkey

posted on 29/11/16 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
5 years old home work assignments!
Any way how about getting one of your old socket set ratchets and mounting something your child has drawn/ made. Nice reliable sound in the style of a primitive football rattle.
Good luck!
Years ago I had a day with a bloke from the Midlands who made junk instruments - kitchen sink with piano strings became a double bass etc. He drove an allegro full of his creations.Bizarre!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I would go up to the loft, and find an original Bakelite phone, and send them with that, else a couple of tin cans / paper cups and some string ;-)

My parents suggested similar

The project has made me realise that at 42 yrs old I grew up pre-internet and mobile phone. Life worked fine for me and proves you really don't "need" these things in your life!

MikeR

posted on 30/11/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
5 years old home work assignments!
!

My 5 year old gets english, maths, spelling + current subject homework every week & is supposed to read to us 5 times a week. Luckily he generally enjoys what he does so its not too bad but its certainly a shock to this parent. Not looking forward to next year when i'll have one in year 2 and one in foundation stage (foundatation stage just gets reading + 1 thing to do a week).

red22

posted on 30/11/16 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Football rattle but depends how much scrap wood dowel and thin ply you have.

Or for more inspiration have a look for the Ladybird book of toys and games to make. Remember making loads of stuff from there when I was young. Mainly just scraps and odds and ends used.

sdh2903

posted on 30/11/16 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had just started to accumulate the bits for the rattle however the wife had taken back control of the project, she'd been and bought a load of stuff to make a homemade doll complete with bells and crunchy bits to make noise. Probably more fitting for a 5 y o girl.

Thanks for all the help.

swanny

posted on 30/11/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hoop and a stick?

Or get some if those old pegs and make peg dolls.

One of those cardboard snappers?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.