Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dad's 69th birthday today
nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dad's 69th birthday today

November 30th and my Dad's 69th birthday.

He came round early this morning to kindly give me a lift to work.

My 3 kids came out to see him and hand over presents and cards.

Oldest son (10) asked him point blank "how old are you today grandpa?". "69" says my Dad. "Well when are you going to retire then?" says no.1 son. "Oooh I'm not sure I want to just yet" says my Dad. "Well I'll be retired by the time I'm 69" says no.1 son.

"Hold on a minute" say I. "You've not even started work yet" say I. I suspect retirement age for him will be nudging 75-80 by then anyway.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Unless he comes up with the "next big thing" by which time he'll be done by 30.

Did you see the story about the young teenager who came up with the concept of a first aid vending machine?
I think he was 13 or 14 years old. He managed to get them into Disney theme parks in the US, a plaster (band aid) company offered him a bonkers amount of money and he said no... doh !
Personally as a parent I would have probably had my son sell out and spend the rest of their life on a boat somewhere around the world.

nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed - if he dreams up "the next big thing" I'll probably sell it out for him - I've had my eye on a yellow McClaren MP4 12C for some time now

On the other hand he might enjoy work and want to keep going with it (bit like my Dad).

hearbear

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Wait till he has his 95th coming up as my dad has and the questions change a bit, how much longer has the old git got left (hopefully a bit longer)

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
There is that element to look forward to. Currently Dad shows no signs of slowing up so fingers crossed we're alright for a bit. Given the choice my Mum would have him retire tomorrow, but Dad says he doesn't know what he'd do with the time. Suggestions of another car restoration are not really heard, which is a shame.

benchmark51

posted on 30/11/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
There is that element to look forward to. Currently Dad shows no signs of slowing up so fingers crossed we're alright for a bit. Given the choice my Mum would have him retire tomorrow, but Dad says he doesn't know what he'd do with the time. Suggestions of another car restoration are not really heard, which is a shame.

The trouble is after you retire things start to get busy, really busy! I need to go back to work for a rest.

nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I do look forward to going back to work on a Monday where it's quieter and I can get things done.

Kids are great, but also fantastic absorbers of time

Mash

posted on 30/11/16 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
quote:

The trouble is after you retire things start to get busy, really busy! I need to go back to work for a rest.

Couldn't agree more

I took up being a retained fire fighter when I retired 3 years ago, and just being on call is difficult as I have so many things to do

I am also the oldest fire fighter in Dorset, which I'm pretty proud of, only 4 years younger than your Dad Nick

nick205

posted on 30/11/16 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
quote:

Couldn't agree more

I took up being a retained fire fighter when I retired 3 years ago, and just being on call is difficult as I have so many things to do

I am also the oldest fire fighter in Dorset, which I'm pretty proud of, only 4 years younger than your Dad Nick

Good effort!

There are a lot of able people out there who seem to write themselves off when retiring.

steve m

posted on 30/11/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I am now semi retired, at 56, yet when some work comes in I love it,
had some work today, and it was sooo nice to get out and make holes and a mess, in someone elses house

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 30/11/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
My dad was lucky enough to retire at 50, an inspiration for me. He had an average city job but tucked money away and invested wisely. When he retired he was worried about being bored. At 64 I would say he has only just started to slow up. He now spends a lot of time playing the Xbox and fishing.

My wife and I often talk about our careers and aspire for them to crescendo.

My wife is more talented then me and will probably achieve 'industry spokesman' status.

I have a "next big thing" up my sleeve and genuinely think it will work, I just have not had the time or backing to progress yet. Its top of my list when I graduate.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 1/12/16 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
My dad was lucky enough to retire at 50, an inspiration for me. He had an average city job but tucked money away and invested wisely. When he retired he was worried about being bored. At 64 I would say he has only just started to slow up. He now spends a lot of time playing the Xbox and fishing.

My wife and I often talk about our careers and aspire for them to crescendo.

My wife is more talented then me and will probably achieve 'industry spokesman' status.

I have a "next big thing" up my sleeve and genuinely think it will work, I just have not had the time or backing to progress yet. Its top of my list when I graduate.

I'm currently 42 and I have to be honest, retiring at 50 would worry me about what to do with my time. If I had the money to back my ambitions then possibly less so, but in reality I'm still (trying) to pile it up for retirement. Three kids are also proving an eternal drain on my finances and likely to desire more of it as they grow up too.

The one thing I would say about having an idea is look after it and be wary who you share it with!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.