Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - tarmac driveway costs
StevieB

posted on 29/12/16 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
OT - tarmac driveway costs

Afternoon all!

I moved house recently to a new home with much more space outside and in (especially garage space!).

One of the many things I need to get sorted at some point is the driveway, which having chatted to the previous occupants grandson, was only laid as a Type 1 fill base before the contractor went bust. It's been as it is since 1985 and is now in a bit of a sorry state.

I want to get cracking with another car build soon, but at present feel a Landrover would be the best option just to get down the drive!

Does anyone have any experience of the cost of having a driveway re-done they could give me a guide with? I thought about block paving etc. but given the size of the drive, I'll probably stick with using a coloured tarmac of some sort.

I haven't fully measured it out, but would guess in the region of 100m2 - I'd widen the area a bit from the existing in prep for a future garage extension to being a double. But as a rough guide (the drive was around the left with a single car parking space):

Description
Description

I know tarmac prices can vary as it's an oil based product, but I just want to know if I'm letting myself in for a £20k bill or otherwise.

ReMan

posted on 29/12/16 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
My guess is £12k
That's a big drive and a. Nice house

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

sdh2903

posted on 29/12/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't be as high as 12k.

We've had 80 odd sqm of driveway laid for under 5k. And we went for a larger Marshall block over standard papers. I would expect tarmac to be significantly cheaper. 3-4k I would guess.

StevieB

posted on 29/12/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
My guess is £12k

Thanks!

It's very 70's inside (despite 1985 build) so needs a full cosmetic do over and a few bits of builders work here and there. But, with another garage pushed out to the left, a 4th bedroom on top of the existing garage and a 3m single storey extension right across the back to give a bigger kitchen/diner, bigger utility room and maybe a little room for a machine shop or something, it'll be perfect.

Plus, the more I extend the building, the less grass I have to mow!

Just need to keep my fingers crossed for those 6 numbers coming up, and maybe learn a bit of general construction skills to get some self build underway!

ReMan

posted on 29/12/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
My guess is £12k

Thanks!

It's very 70's inside (despite 1985 build) so needs a full cosmetic do over and a few bits of builders work here and there. But, with another garage pushed out to the left, a 4th bedroom on top of the existing garage and a 3m single storey extension right across the back to give a bigger kitchen/diner, bigger utility room and maybe a little room for a machine shop or something, it'll be perfect.

Plus, the more I extend the building, the less grass I have to mow!

Just need to keep my fingers crossed for those 6 numbers coming up, and maybe learn a bit of general construction skills to get some self build underway!

I hope my guess is wrong for you
Is the barn available too

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

StevieB

posted on 29/12/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
The 'barn' is next doors workshop - he's a big enthusiast for old British bikes, in particular BSA Gold Stars. He's got 5 of them in various states of build. It's so bloody clean I'd call it more of a working museum than a workshop.

I've got a bit of catching up to do if I'm going to keep up with the Jones's. For now I'd just be happy to have the tarantula's move out of there

02GF74

posted on 29/12/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
. I would expect tarmac to be significantly cheaper. 3-4k I would guess.

Hmm my sister got front of house done in blocks. 4 x 5 m approx, think wad about 3.5 k.

Tarmac was similar price so worth getting a few quotes.

Does the driveway need to be that wide, 1.5 x car widths is plenty.

tegwin

posted on 29/12/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 13 meter by 5 meter driveway.... Priced up for blocks, cement and tarmac... Cement ended up being cheaper... Maybe worth looking at.

Doesn't look as shiny as blocks but it was cheap!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

StevieB

posted on 29/12/16 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Does the driveway need to be that wide, 1.5 x car widths is plenty.

It's actually only 3m wide, but is a funny shape in the way it winds up to the house, but also has a parking space that goes to the left on the photo. I've measured it up this evening and it's around 70m2 as is, plus another 30m2 to widen across for a double garage, so my 100m2 guess was close enough!

In the future I plan to extend that garage sideways to make it double, so would make sense to have the driveway laid to suit future plans. Though in fairness, if finances allowed then it would make sense to extend first then have the driveway done. After the bathroom, kitchen, upper floor (boarding needs replacing), couple of minor structural issues, fireplaces/chimneys, garage electrics, removal of all accessibility aids (previous owner would have been 102 in November if she'd still been with us) and full decoration (floors, walls, ceilings, fittings and joinery) throughout...

trextr7monkey

posted on 30/12/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
So you will be doing the drive this time next year!
Fingers crossed for you. Lol
Atb Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.