Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Database help or suggestion
nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Database help or suggestion

Morning all,

At work we have an old Lotus Approach database. It contains engineering data (drawing lists etc) to which some users have "READ-ONLY" access and some have "READ/WRITE" access. The different user access types are password controlled.

We're now down to our last solitary PC running Lotus and there's a genuine fear that if/when that PC dies we lose the database.

The rest of us have Microsoft Excel (not Access) and the question has arisen of how to transfer the existing database data and maintain the different user permissions.

As you may be able to tell this type of thing is not my skill area! However I thought I'd open the question to LCB'ers and see what ideas or suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
Nick

Mash

posted on 28/3/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

I was a Lotus Notes engineer in a previous life, but it's a while ago.

You should be able to export to Excel from Approach, I couldn't remember how, but Google was my friend:

Migrating Approach to Excel

Hope that helps

Slimy38

posted on 28/3/17 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know Excel doesn't have a concept of user accounts and permissions. Access would be the most logical option, but MySQL is free and capable. All you need to do is find a format that you can export from Approach and then import into MySQL.
mcerd1

posted on 28/3/17 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
some users have "READ-ONLY" access and some have "READ/WRITE" access. The different user access types are password controlled.

the dumbest (ie easiest) version of excel would just been to lock all the sheets with a password and only give that password to people allowed to make changes...

-

nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps - I'll be trying to export the file from Lotus tomorrow.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.