Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Election results
daviep

posted on 9/6/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Election results

I'm surprised there's been no discussion on the recent events, looks like we are going to be living in interesting times.

To me Jeremy Corbyn appears to be the biggest winner overall, and Britain as a whole probably the biggest loser as we head in to the Brexit negotiations possibly not quite as focussed on the job as we should be.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

hearbear

posted on 9/6/17 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think Scotland was the biggest change to see the SNP finally get their faces rubbed in the poo. They lost royally because of their one horse race but I don't understand why people would vote for Corbyn being such a friend to terrorists over the years, wanting to keep on letting them by the ship load when we can't afford them.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

snapper

posted on 10/6/17 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hearbear
I personally think Scotland was the biggest change to see the SNP finally get their faces rubbed in the poo. They lost royally because of their one horse race but I don't understand why people would vote for Corbyn being such a friend to terrorists over the years, wanting to keep on letting them by the ship load when we can't afford them.

And there is the problem.....
That is mostly the Tory press rhetoric and what is clear is the Corbin engaged with the younger vote which was well up on the Brexit levels and May scared the older voter with the "take your house and leave you £100k.
This is a simplistic view but just like the Brexit vote, the people have spoken, this is democracy so suck it up.

As a public servant I have been bent over the desk by successive governments and will vote for the party that will be less rough with my prosterior and personally like an effective opposition whoever is in power.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/17 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think the terrorist attacks also had an effect - that and the fact that the police were too over-stretched to follow up intelligence advice, in combination with the Tory plans to cut the police force massively in the coming years, made people think about what's important in their lives. Combine that with their plans for the NHS, on-going cutbacks in the fire service, etc, etc.

I'm not sure that Labour would have done things any differently if they'd won, but the Tories scored a spectacular number of own-goals in the run-up to the election.

Anyway - I hate politics and politicians - they're all a bunch of self-serving wasters (with a small number of decent exceptions).

Bah! Humbug!

posted on 10/6/17 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
The thing is, if you think that your not going to win you can promise the earth. You will never have to implement it.

If I stood for election I would double the Police Force, double spending on education, double the NHS,

and double public transport through my village to two busses a week.

I have a good track record for doubling things since I bought another toy ( MX5 ) and have parked it next to the Suttol.

Paul G

Bigheppy

posted on 10/6/17 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Imagine a senario torys sat around table. Oh S!!t we didnt really want brexit how can we get out of it. Cameron I'm off. May I'll be priminister. Oh S!!t its too hard. A minion says if we call a general election have a poor manifesto and campaign we can loose and let the others sort it all out. May great lets do it.
In typical political fasion it didnt quite work so the politicians can now blame everyone for derailing brexit and not being blamed. So I suppose it has worked for them afterall

Every politician in my opinion are only trying to line their pockets and if staying in or coming out does so thats what they will push for.

femster87

posted on 10/6/17 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't understand why people would vote for Corbyn being such a friend to terrorists over the years, wanting to keep on letting them by the ship load when we can't afford them.

This is why I would have thought the younger voters went with corbyn. All this unsubstantiated rhetorics. I have been trying to find one war in living memory on terrorist groups that has been won by force. You fight and talk at the same time. Everyone just thinks blowing things up and shooting people will somehow get a resolution. I did not really get the argument about the nuke launch. it is only a fool who would use such a weapon indiscriminately

I for one an very glad younger people voted. Its their right!!

Theresa struggled because nobody really wants a dictator in the greatest democratic country in the world.

daviep

posted on 10/6/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Taking 60% of all the Scottish seats is hardly losing "royally", they have received a wake up call that they aren't listening to their constituents.

People would vote for Corbyn personally because he comes across as sincere down to earth, why they would vote for Labour as a party when parasites like Diane Abbott are in the mix is beyond me.

All the terrorist sympathiser comments made by the Tories may start to sound a little ironic considering the coalition they now look likely to form.

[Edited on 10/6/17 by daviep]

sdh2903

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
The reason the SNP lost their seats is purely because Jimmy krankie-sturgeon used brexit to try and force her obsession with independence through again. I know several previous hardline SNP'ers who voted Tory or labour just to prove a point. Hopefully she's finally realised we don t want indyref2 shoved down our throats continually. Scotland has a decent deal as it is. Yes we contribute more tax per head but we also spend more per head.

I can only see the coalition causing problems as it did with cleggy last time. The Tories have been unbelievably arrogant thinking they would walk this election and in theory they should have dominated. Putting in contentious policies over dementia care and school lunches has just made the average Joe peed off and vote for Corbyn.

As a politician Corbyn is a joke. However credit where's credits due hes a decent campaigner.

[Edited on 10/6/17 by sdh2903]

mark chandler

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
May mucked it up, simples

Offer another vote on hunting, screw around with pensions, care homes etc .....

Then came across badly whenever she opened her mouth, she does not inspire leadership, great politician but not any good front and centre and the above shows her barometer is off.

britishtrident

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
In England what really happened was nobody apart from the party faithful nobody really wanted to vote for any party. Mrs May was badly tainted by cosying up to Donald Trump and a hard Brexit is frightening the hell out of everybody. In Scotland make no mistake the SNP are wounded but still the domminant force, a Labour resurgence in Scotland's central belt was always going to happen but the re-birth of the Conservative vote in some parts of Scotland is unexpected almost to the point of being bizzare it can partly be explained by the fact they have a very capable leader in Ruth Davidson and perhaps the terrible damage wrought by the Thatcher era on Scottish industry is vanishing from the memory of the electorate but it has the hallmarks of a protest vote.

What ever happens the UK is in deep doo-dah Brexit is a disaster in so many ways, any alliance between a Conservative government and the DUP has so many conflicts it will cause political chaos and could have longterm implications for the the island of Ireland and the UK. Then we have Mrs May's hand holding buddy in the USA..................................... However on the bright side UKIP has been flushed away.

Predictions Mrs May will stay PM for longer than is being predicted simply because nobody wants the job, and Britexit might not happen.

[Edited on 10/6/17 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

johnemms

posted on 10/6/17 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Vote was to Back Britain..
Not take fake promises and sweeties off strange old men...
Everyone knew Corbyn couldn't win including Corbyn..
He did as much damage to britain as he could with his fake promises...
To gain lots of seats.. keep his job ...and knew he would not have to keep any promises...
Now for not backing Britain you still have Conservatives for 5 years and DUP who hate Gays and lots of other stuff..

Talk about voters shooting themselves in the foot.. :v

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Hodor

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
In Scotland, the SNP are indeed still the dominant force, they have more MPs than the other parties combined and they have the largest share of the votes over any other single party (in Scotland).

This election was to elect a UK government, but in Scotland it has an additional dimension, that being the independence issue. Now if you want and independent Scotland, you're only going to vote for one party, the SNP as they are the only party that will deliver it. If you don't want independence, or don't have the appetite to have a referendum on the issue then you are most likely to vote for anyone but the SNP.

The total votes for the SNP in Scotland were approx 1 million, the combined labour, lib dem and tory votes (who all oppose indyref2) came to 1.6 million. In 2015, I believe the SNP vote total was 1.5 million.

So whilst still dominant the SNP hopefully will reflect on the outcome as the first minister has said she will, as they are not so dominant as perhaps they thought the might be or once were. Personally, I hope they are big enough to shelve the prospect of an independence referendum and focus on getting the basics right in running our country. Nicola Sturgeon has always said that if she feels the will of the Scottish people is to leave the union she will call for another referendum. This election vote is pretty clear on how the electorate feel. I've a lot of respect for the FM, I hope she is big enough to deliver on the flip side of her mantra.

[Edited on 10/6/17 by Hodor]

daviep

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
In Scotland, the SNP are indeed still the dominant force, they have more MPs than the other parties combined and they have the largest share of the votes over any other single party (in Scotland).

This election was to elect a UK government, but in Scotland it has an additional dimension, that being the independence issue. Now if you want and independent Scotland, you're only going to vote for one party, the SNP as they are the only party that will deliver it. If you don't want independence, or don't have the appetite to have a referendum on the issue then you are most likely to vote for anyone but the SNP.

The total votes for the SNP in Scotland were approx 1 million, the combined labour, lib dem and tory votes (who all oppose indyref2) came to 1.6 million. In 2015, I believe the SNP vote total was 1.5 million.

So whilst still dominant the SNP hopefully will reflect on the outcome as the first minister has said she will, as they are not so dominant as perhaps they thought the might be or once were. Personally, I hope they are big enough to shelve the prospect of an independence referendum and focus on getting the basics right in running our country. Nicola Sturgeon has always said that if she feels the will of the Scottish people is to leave the union she will call for another referendum. This election vote is pretty clear on how the electorate feel. I've a lot of respect for the FM, I hope she is big enough to deliver on the flip side of her mantra.

[Edited on 10/6/17 by Hodor]

Very well put, you've managed to explain my own thoughts much better than I could.

daviep

posted on 10/6/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms
The Vote was to Back Britain..
Not take fake promises and sweeties off strange old men...
Everyone knew Corbyn couldn't win including Corbyn..
He did as much damage to britain as he could with his fake promises...
To gain lots of seats.. keep his job ...and knew he would not have to keep any promises...
Now for not backing Britain you still have Conservatives for 5 years and DUP who hate Gays and lots of other stuff..

Talk about voters shooting themselves in the foot.. :v

"The vote was to "Back Britain" what does that mean?

Have you read Labour's manifesto?

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/6/17 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
I love the hypocrisy​. The Tories are the biggest bastards ever for teaming up with the DUP yet the Islamic sympathisers otherwise known as labour can do no wrong. Have a look at what the Qur'an says about gay people and women. I'm not saying the Bible is any better but at this moment in time I don't know of anybody taking the Bible literally ( thankfully)

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Theshed

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that the DUP, Uganda, some US states take the bible literally when it comes to gay rights. Homosexuality has been quietly tolerated in many Islamic countries for years - not perfect but we only decriminalised gay sex between men in the 1990s
David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/17 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
I think you will find that the DUP, Uganda, some US states take the bible literally when it comes to gay rights. Homosexuality has been quietly tolerated in many Islamic countries for years - not perfect but we only decriminalised gay sex between men in the 1990s

Yes, it is now legal in this country - I'm emigrating when they make it compulsory...

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/6/17 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely, follow the money, look at the greed, that's where the road will always start from, and end.

For me it's simple.

Scameron bribed the baby-boomers with his pension giveways, inheritance tax, etc., etc., plus the big one - a vote on Brexit, obviating the threat from UKIP. He scraped in to power as result, and then gave it all up when the 'unexpected' result from the Brexit vote came in. May then comes to the rescue, but feels uneasy with the majority, but confident that she can win more support. However, she attempted to address some of the debt that Scameron had set up with the aforementioned bribery.

Soo... along comes Jeremy. Bribery for all, and (surprise, surprise) it works. The cost of all that will be saddled on the young for centuries, but no change there then. Another 'unexpected' result.

We're now in a bit of a political mess. Currently some very interesting things going on, fun to watch, but with a very sad outcome. Whatever now happens, it doesn't look good for the country, but what the hell, boots will be filled, who cares among the Elite. We (I) will suffer, whatever.

The last person to enter Parliament with good intentions was Guy Fawkes.

As for Scotland, looks to me that the Scottish may have decided that having the continual Independence push, uber alles, might be getting a bit too much. How about working within the UK, instead of against it, now there's a novel thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy

Every politician in my opinion are only trying to line their pockets and if staying in or coming out does so thats what they will push for.

overdriver

posted on 11/6/17 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed

Not strictly true. The 1967 Sexual Offences Act decriminalised homosexual acts (in England and Wales but excluding Merchant Navy and armed forces personnel)) between men over the age of 21. The age was reduced to 18 in 1994 and further reduced to 16 (the age of consent for heterosexuals) in 2000.

Homosexual acts were decriminalised in Scotland by the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 and in Northern Ireland by the Homosexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 1982.

To my knowledge there are no plans to make homosexuality, bi-sexuality or gender change compulsory, legally desirable, preferred or indeed recommended!

Michael.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.