Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fake charity collectors at the shops
james h

posted on 19/8/17 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fake charity collectors at the shops

Evening all,

Just had an experience I'd not like to have again...

I got a couple of items from my local Aldi in Lancaster, and on the way in my mum and I were asked for a donation to the 'National Autism Charity', by a pleasant sounding Irish lady. We only had 20p in change, which went in the collection pot.

We get our things, and are leaving the store when the manager asks the lady and her other three friends in the same charity shirts to see if they were booked in to collect today. Of course, they weren't....

And quicker than the GB relay team, they piled into their old Irish plate X-Type Jag and sped off down the road towards Morecambe.

We managed to get a photo from our car, before they changed lanes at the last second - presumably to evade our 'pursuit' (we were just coincidentally going the same way).

Draw your own conclusions folks, but please be vigilant with these so called 'collectors'. My blood has been well and truly boiled today. Last time I was this pissed off was when I reported here about the ridiculous fly tipping near a beauty spot when I was at uni earlier this year. There may be a common theme here...

James

p.s. We reported the incident to the police after phoning Aldi to confirm they weren't authorised to be there.

steve m

posted on 19/8/17 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well done for highlighting this, as Ive been telling my Wife for years, that all these "in the doorway of shops" charity workers are fake/scammers, but she doesn't believe me !

We had one only a couple of weeks ago, Charity for the Heart foundation, a very worthy cause, yet he was Asian, and could not utter one English word, mmm suspect ?

I will go further, a few years ago, my Niece had a volunteer job in Oxfam in Haywards heath (Sussex)
So she works there for free, and was TOLD what days she was working ?
She left after a few weeks, not sure how you resign from a non paying establishment, but she left,
As she had overheard the Area Manager of Oxfam, bragging that he earned 150k a year, so if we divide the county into broadish area's that's at least 10 but more like 20 "area managers", earning 1.5 million a year between them, of charity money, that is supposed to go to the needy

I for one, will not put one penny into any form of "charity", as I do not believe that any of the money actually goes to the places it should

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Bluemoon

posted on 19/8/17 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Well done for highlighting this, as Ive been telling my Wife for years, that all these "in the doorway of shops" charity workers are fake/scammers, but she doesn't believe me !

We had one only a couple of weeks ago, Charity for the Heart foundation, a very worthy cause, yet he was Asian, and could not utter one English word, mmm suspect ?

I will go further, a few years ago, my Niece had a volunteer job in Oxfam in Haywards heath (Sussex)
So she works there for free, and was TOLD what days she was working ?
She left after a few weeks, not sure how you resign from a non paying establishment, but she left,
As she had overheard the Area Manager of Oxfam, bragging that he earned 150k a year, so if we divide the county into broadish area's that's at least 10 but more like 20 "area managers", earning 1.5 million a year between them, of charity money, that is supposed to go to the needy

I for one, will not put one penny into any form of "charity", as I do not believe that any of the money actually goes to the places it should

steve

for oxfam 82p per pound goes to to the places it should...

[Edited on 19/8/17 by Bluemoon]

steve m

posted on 19/8/17 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
"for oxfam 82p per pound goes to to the places it should..."

err, don't think so, it goes to the greedy bastards in management

I doubt 8 p in the pound actually gets to any for of needy people

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 19/8/17 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

steve

Not all of them at all, in fact its a miniscule amount that are fake. I have personally collected on the streets for a genuine cause close to my family in laws heart. And yes CEOs are paid lots, but simple fact is charity is a business and whilst it sounds wrong, to be a successful charity, it needs a good head for business.

Mistral Motorsport

Bluemoon

posted on 20/8/17 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
"for oxfam 82p per pound goes to to the places it should..."

err, don't think so, it goes to the greedy bastards in management

I doubt 8 p in the pound actually gets to any for of needy people

That's the published number: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/how-we-spend-your-money

neilp1

posted on 20/8/17 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I never put money into the pot of people standing outside of shops. I feel its a bit of an insult standing there asking for money and as I don't know them - no chance. I do pay into charities but on my terms and when I want to.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.