Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric shower pressure
cliftyhanger

posted on 30/10/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Electric shower pressure

Carrying on from my sparky question, here is one for plumbers!

a 4 storey property, but the mains water pressure at the top is only 1bar with no taps open. This is helpfully where the shower is located.
As such, I fitted a Mira shower last year as previous tenants complained (correctly) the old one kept going cold. The Mira safety cutout works at 0.7 Bar so I thought that was job done.
Tenants have changed, and now have complained that sometimes this shower goes cold, so the pressure is still an issue.

Looks like I have 2 solutions. One is to change the shower to work off the combi boiler, bit of faff with pipework, and as an aside I am keen on these rentals having an electric shower as when the boiler does go on the blink, at least they can still shower.
The other option is a Homeboost type pump to boost the water pressure. BUT I would prefer to install it so it just boosts the shower, however the instructions all say the pump must be installed before any taps etc

Has anybody got any experience of these things? I suspect the Salamander product is the neatest solution, and I hope have a decent life? Or is there a better solution?

Cheers
Clive

loggyboy

posted on 30/10/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just change to a pumped electric shower?
https://www.bathshack.com/mira-elite-qt-9-8kw-pumped-electric-shower.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYf7_lldNRDzzZrkeHP9U2QYScRm7sYe5yS_oDZzZkOB9p EftMahCc4aAo3pEALw_wcB

Mistral Motorsport

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/10/17 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Just change to a pumped electric shower?
https://www.bathshack.com/mira-elite-qt-9-8kw-pumped-electric-shower.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYf7_lldNRDzzZrkeHP9U2QYScRm7sYe5yS_oDZzZkOB9p EftMahCc4aAo3pEALw_wcB

Sadly that shower can only be used on a gravity fed system, so not suitable for connecting direct to the mains. A shame as a simple solution otherwise.

I am now thinking about this a bit more, and think the homeboost is the way to go. The grundfos version may be a bit better, but installation would be more difficult, and tenants like things to be done in zero time.

But any further suggestions are very welcome!

russbost

posted on 30/10/17 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not use a single 2 bar pump just for the electric shower?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 30/10/17 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is there no roof space to add a small tank? wouldnt need to be much as mains would keep it topped up nearly as fast it could be used, effectively a swirl pot!

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 30/10/17 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Is there no roof space to add a small tank? wouldnt need to be much as mains would keep it topped up nearly as fast it could be used, effectively a swirl pot!

But then you'd have even less pressure unless the tank was well above the height of the shower

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 30/10/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a pipework faff to run it directly from the combi boiler, but our last 3 showers have run this way and worked without fault. If you can do it I'd go that way.
richardm6994

posted on 30/10/17 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I installed a salamander pump about a year ago after my bathroom referb (switched from bath to electric shower), and it's been faultless so far.

Dead easy to install and makes a huge difference to the water flow (didn't realise just how bad our water flow was until I installed it). I installed mine just after the mains water stop-cock.

It only comes on when flow is below a pre-set minimum and the speed is variable depending on how much boost the water flow needs, so when we turn the taps on to fill up the kettle (for example) it doesn't switch on at all, but when the shower is on, it runs continuously.

Only downside for me is it's slightly louder than I was expecting it to be. Nothing too intrusive or alarming, but wasn't quite expecting it to as loud as it is (plus the noise transmits through the pipes so we hear it upstairs as well).

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/10/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
there is no roofspace. Well, 12". Victorian house, pitched roof but central section is flat!! Built like that.
If you fit a booster pump anywhere after a tap, it would suck air if those taps were on. (I presume that is why they have to be fitted before any taps)

Richard, was that the Homeboost? looks pretty small, and seems to be supported solely on the pipework? says it must be fitted to solid pipes, not flexi's. But I wonder if mounting it to solid pipes, but with full-bore flexis after a metre may help noise.....

Thanks all, all this has focused my mind (a real task these days)

russbost

posted on 30/10/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
"If you fit a booster pump anywhere after a tap, it would suck air if those taps were on" - that's a good point, I guess it could, tho' probably wouldn't unless very close to the pump or tap turned on absolutely full, with 0.7 bar to start with you have a fair bit of "top up" coming in, but if it sucks air that is a major problem. Could you fit one way valves to the taps so it couldn't pull water back from that pipe run?

richardm6994

posted on 30/10/17 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it was the homeboost unit.
Mine is mounted on solid pipe, but the unit is quite heavy (even though it's small) so I made sure the pipe was supported either side of the pump.

I suppose naively I was expecting hardly any noise from the unit, however that said, for me the noise really isn't not an issue. It's no where near as loud as a dishwasher or washing machine, but it is louder than a fridge running.

Flexi's will help stop the noise travelling, but you will still hear the pump in whichever room it gets put in.

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/10/17 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
"If you fit a booster pump anywhere after a tap, it would suck air if those taps were on" - that's a good point, I guess it could, tho' probably wouldn't unless very close to the pump or tap turned on absolutely full, with 0.7 bar to start with you have a fair bit of "top up" coming in, but if it sucks air that is a major problem. Could you fit one way valves to the taps so it couldn't pull water back from that pipe run?

I was thinking that, but that would be about 15 of the damn things to fit! And some will be a problem to get to, they always are.

I think I will just wack a homeboost in and be done, if it lasts 5 years it will be worth it. I like the fact it will be simple, and the obvious room is a toilet where the water enters the property. And better still there is a socket just through the wall, so easy to plug in.

Thanks Richard for giving me confidence in the units. Will order one up from Anchor Pumps, who seem the most reasonable at £210+vat

Cheers all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.