Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Now TV
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/18 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Now TV

A simple question I hope.
I am about to leave BT broadband (thanks to their price increase) and looking for a new provider.

It seems Now TV have a broadband service, and for not a lot can get the Now TV enterainment pass which would give me Sky 1, Sky Atlantic Gold and a few other bits and bobs. BUT freeview reception at my house is pants. And I cannot find an answer to whether the sky channels arrive via aerial or Broadband.
I will be wasting my money if via aerial. I get a total of 19 channels at my house, and 6 of those are HD versions of the first 5 plus CBBC! so effectively bugger all.

Advice would be good. Thanks.

Clive

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/1/18 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Not specifically answering your question but we have youview and for "satellite" subscription type channels and they all come via the broadband connection.
I would be surprised if that wasn't the case for now tv.

hth

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/18 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I am hoping that is the case!
I can live without the freeview stuff, but Gold may be worth having....

ttalps2000

posted on 2/1/18 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
All of our sky channels on our Now TV are done via the box and not the aerial. Its a streaming service they offer so no aerial required. Highly recommend Now TV over the others though!
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/18 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
That will do for me! off to quidco now....
loggyboy

posted on 2/1/18 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Now TV is all internet only, and provided by sky.
On the basic box, there are no freeview channels on it, you can watch BBC and ITV catchup AND live (some programs dont always stream due to license restrictions) but 4 and ch5 are catchup only. The sky channel subscriptions will also give you Live access to those channels.
You need the Smart box to get the free view channels. - and that DOES need an aerial.

[Edited on 2-1-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWalker

posted on 2/1/18 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just a suggestion, but almost all the freeview channels are also available on freesat,, which would probably get you around reception problems.
gremlin1234

posted on 2/1/18 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Just a suggestion, but almost all the freeview channels are also available on freesat,, which would probably get you around reception problems.
I agree this freesat probably the best way to get all the 'free to air' programmes if terrestrial tv is poor.

the only issue I have with nowtv is that they only do 1280x720 not full HD
but from all the things I have seen for their broadband and packages, they seem to be very good value at the moment.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/18 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

A future possibility, but in all honesty there is precious little wort watching on the main channels. It really seems "we" are all going to have to pay for any decent TV......

Besides, the extra cost is very small over just broadband,and less than what BT are putting their price up to with no TV at all. Plus the £90 cashback.....

ianhurley20

posted on 2/1/18 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
My vote is for freesat first - I then have a digital sat box so with a couple of extra LNB's on the same dish get Hotbird and Astra at 19.2 deg. The main terrestrial channels do most of what I want, can't stand most of the american produced crap on Sky so 2000+ channels will find something (F1 in HD free etc)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.