Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone changed a combi boiler PCB
mikeb

posted on 5/4/18 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone changed a combi boiler PCB

My boiler has been playing up, its a Vaillant ecotech plus (not sure on age but probably under 10 years).
Its throwing a F.62 fault code, a reset would keep it going for a week but now it throws the fault everytime you stop the hot water tap.

Interweb says 9/10 PCB fault 1/10 gas shut off valve.

I need to double check the part numbers but it looks like this
https://www.dhsspares.co.uk/product/vaillant-0020132764-printed-circuit-board-1383245?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkpfWBRDZARIsAAfeXapNOs5n776lK3JFhluRWrujaXUHsaeNM4 O36vlQKMfPYiSfiOGYuzEaAq7EEALw_wcB

I've had the front off 6 months ago to fit my hive receiver so I know I can get to it all.

But when you google, comments come up, do you know how to complete the safety check after install etc which got me a little worried.

Any tips, or just fork out for the pros?

Mike

[Edited on 5/4/18 by mikeb]

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/4/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
If your not touching the gas side of things I wouldn't worry about it.

If your changing gas valve you have to be a competent person, which you are if you are contemplating the repair.

Get some leak spray when you turn gas back on use it to check for leaks, did mine few years ago easy to do no probs if you can build a car.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mikeb

posted on 5/4/18 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't touch the gas side, just changing the PCB. Didnt' know if there are settings that need to be programmed in.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/4/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Done boiler PCB's a couple of times without issue. Just turn off the power supply (should be on a fused spur or its own feed from the breaker board) and disconnect/connect and fit. It's the gas side of things that I wouldn't touch, and would get someone in to do. Depending on the size/style of the PCB, you might want to invest in an earthing bracelet/strap, although not a requirement.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

chris

posted on 5/4/18 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
no there shouldnt be any reprogramming required just make sure you have isolated the power before you start and when you switch it back on the boiler may go into a test mode just let it run
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/18 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
no done this many times due to cracked boards, gas boilers are hellish for this. Very easy just unscrew and unplug the board (power off) then switch on and is should work. Have a look on the web, it's one of the main faults with gas boilers.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daKlone

posted on 13/4/18 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, it's pretty straightforward to do. I'd just add that it's worthwhile taking a few pictures before you remove anything, just to recall where the connectors and bits go. You might not need it, but better to have it just in case.

Also, I would be careful where you buy from. I got one that was apparently "new", and did look it with it's nice new box, but I fitted it and it didn't work. Had to send it back for a replacement...along with the usual "I've never had this happen before" platitudes from the seller. That was from eBay though, so I guess you take your chances...

dK

Winter is coming...

adam1985

posted on 14/4/18 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
You still need to be gas safe registered to replace the circuit board on a boiler, the pcb is what controls the safety devices for the appliance do you know how to test these? The front cover is part of the combustion chamber on this boiler so this shouldnt be removed by anyone unless gas safe. In the last 10 years rules have changed with flues has yours been checked to make sure its safe? Also on those boilers the heat exchanger seal is required to be changed every 5 years.
Personally i would get somebody competant to work on vaillants weather thats a local guy or the manufacturers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.