Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Hayfever, any suffere's here ?
steve m

posted on 18/4/18 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
OT Hayfever, any suffere's here ?

As it says above, Hayfever, I must of wronged someone in a previous life, as ive had it for 55 of my 57 years on this little rock
and its an f ING misery

So, what do others take, and does it work ! as ive used the following, but now need a change, as last year Piriton did not work

Steroid injections, ive had them, work very well, but can only be safely given for a max of 4 - 5 years, due to side effects
Piriton, did work, but not over the last couple of years, but not so good now
Cetrezine, worked for one year, never since
ive tried so many others, but cant remember which!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

theconrodkid

posted on 18/4/18 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
used to get it really bad, then i discovered some homeopathatic remidy, used that for many years till the wunderbar eu
decided it needed expensive tests so the company closed down.
since that i have used locally produced honey (i hate honey) and that worked, other than that, wear eye protection when
out and about and avoid rolling in the hay

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

BenB

posted on 18/4/18 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nasal steroids used properly.

Aim for the top of your ear, don't miss any days, use a good one (Avamys).

Antihistamines don't work well. Hayfever is a chronic allergic reaction and they aren't predominantly histamine mediated. Steroids work but intramuscular isn't great for a localised reaction.

AdrianH

posted on 18/4/18 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I now use two products and it takes a little while for them to kick in, Beconase the nasal spray and one of the Hay-fever tabs based on loratadine.

Mine is grass pollen so mostly for me towards the end of may though for a few months.

I also tend to use in the kit a full face helmet, or when the visor is up some of the dark safety specs for a couple of quid the type that wrap around the face as the possibility of getting grass seeds or similar in the eyes is not worth contemplating.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/4/18 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
I now use two products and it takes a little while for them to kick in, Beconase the nasal spray and one of the Hay-fever tabs based on loratadine.

Mine is grass pollen so mostly for me towards the end of may though for a few months.

Beconase and Loratadine work pretty well on my grass pollen allergy. That said I don't suffer anything like as badly as I did when I was a nipper, summer could to be a properly miserable time.

jps

posted on 19/4/18 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - had hayfever and related asthma as a kid but it had disappeared by the time I left primary school. Never thought about it again.

In my mid-twenties I started doing more sport (cycling) and began to find I was getting lots of 'colds' and especially in the spring period around March/April/May. Nothing over the counter seemed to make a dint. I used Beconase a lot - GP suggested just using it permanently in fact...

About 18 months ago I developed a constant cough - and was eventually diagnosed with asthma. Common for it to return in mid-30's apparently. Mentioned the fact my asthma was worse at weekends - when I was outside more. Hayfever was suggested to me - and the penny finally dropped!

Loratidine did nothing, citrizine helped a bit but I am now taking prescription antihistamine called fexofenadine which seems to have stopped hayfever symptoms completely. It also stops the bad reactions (50p sized lumps) I used to get to mosquito bites. I used a steroid nasal spray too - it worked but I started getting nosebleeds - so stopped...

The asthma still keeps rearing up though - every time I get a virus which, with 2 kids under 5, is often!

[Edited on 19/4/18 by jps]

owelly

posted on 19/4/18 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try eating honey that's been harvested from near where you're getting the pollen from. Old wives tale maybe, but it seems to work.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 19/4/18 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I had thought about the honey, but when I googeled if local stuff was any good, it all came back as "wifes tales"

steve, with sore eyes,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jossey

posted on 19/4/18 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Best tablets I've had are telfast. On prescription. Been amazing from what I would call a world of s*it hay fever not wanting to go out and now I'm fine.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 19/4/18 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fexofenadine is a fine anti-histamine but response still depends on whether the reaction is truly chronic or a serious of daily acute reactions. If the reaction from the day before is still going the next morning anti-histamines will be of limited use. Milder cases tend to respond to anti-histamines, more severe ones need steroids. By definition anti-histamines work on the day you take them steroids takes weak to dampen down the chronic reaction. They also stop working as soon as you stop them and take another couple of weeks to start working again when you restart. Patients like the stop / start option of anti-histamines yet not always as effective though depends on severity / type of reaction.

Whether it's nasal steroids or anti-histamines people respond differently. I've got patients for whom beconase is rubbish and avamys works and yet I've got other patients where it's the other way round. For me cetirizine helps a fair amount and loratidine doesn't, other people the opposite is true.

So it's trial and error at its finest.

With an anti-histamines you'll know within a few days if it's the right one so keep on trying different ones (with rapid changes), will a steroid you'll need to use it for 3-4 weeks before you'll have true idea of if it's working.

If you get nose bleeds with a nasal steroid that's kind of tough. There are nasal anti-histamines but they're not much cop.

Patients with asthma type symptoms and hayfever are now encouraged to take an oral drug called monteleukast (sorts both out). Some find it a miracle, others find it does nothing. But when it works its two birds with one stone. Hayfever and asthma are considered seperate conditions but essentially they're the same- hypersensitivity of the respiratory system.....

Lots of patients with hayfever this week (hence still at work as we speak!!!).

Bunje

posted on 20/4/18 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
im the same ive tried everything you can buy lol but nasal sprays are my go to for hayfever now. beconaise or you can get one on prescription from the doctors but if you have to pay for prescriptions its the same a beconaise so no cheaper
David Jenkins

posted on 23/4/18 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I use Beconase - it dampens most of the symptoms apart from itchy eyes. For that I occasionally use Celluvisc drops (carmellose sodium), which simply flush, moisten and lubricate the eyes (they are not anti-anything). Beconase is on prescription, but Celluvisc can be bought over the pharmacy counter. Usual disclaimer - Celluvisc may not work for you, read the leaflet about side-effects, dosage and how to use it, etc.

Wrong about Beconase - see my my post below.

[Edited on 24/4/18 by David Jenkins]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/18 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I was tested for allergies and am very allergic to dust, pollen & animals and was on an inhaler years ago which didn't seem to do anything

However we got 2 dogs & 2 cats and don't suffer at all (even other people pets), if I am away for a week or so like when on holiday, when I come back it's murder then it goes away again, so seems to be just stopped by constant exposure, perhaps the same way you get insensitive to smells...?

We also have a lot of live flowers in the house (don't buy cut flowers for mothers day etc, total waist of money buy ones in pots then you have them for years) and also don't suffer from that either.

Parents being OCD about house cleanliness and dirt seems to be one of the things that doesn't help when your a kid, get a pet, make a mess

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/18 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Oops! Wrong nasal spray - as I used it this morning I realised that my stuff is Nasonex (or the NHS-supplied generic mometasone furoate monohydrate anyway), not Beconase.

jps

posted on 24/4/18 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Patients with asthma type symptoms and hayfever are now encouraged to take an oral drug called monteleukast (sorts both out). Some find it a miracle, others find it does nothing. But when it works its two birds with one stone. Hayfever and asthma are considered seperate conditions but essentially they're the same- hypersensitivity of the respiratory system.....

Interesting you say that - after a particularly bad flare up this weekend (threw up several times from coughing so much) I was off to my GP yesterday and now have some monteleukast tablets. Plus some antibiotics. Plus a referral for a chest x-ray.

I wish it would all pack in as it stopping me working on my car!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.