Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED headlights ?
steve m

posted on 8/11/18 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
LED headlights ?

Hi All

Ive done a LB search, but couldn't find anything related, so ...

What are the Led headlights like, as mine on the 7 are shyte ! just wondered if the led's are any better, or just a fad

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 8/11/18 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
led lights are good, and getting better all the time
if you want to drive over winter, then get some now, else wait 'till you are next going to drive the car in the dark.

worth looking at
https://furoreproducts.co.uk/
used to be run by russbost on here, now by his son-in-law, I think

edit, don't just get plug in led bulbs for standard h4 replacement, replace the whole uinit

[Edited on 8/11/18 by gremlin1234]

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/11/18 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen/tried etc (but not in my car) LED bulbs. Th ebest by far are the Philips ones, but you need a decent reflector too. And the bulbsarenot cheap at about £150/pr. However, it seems you get what you pay for.

Another, more conventional plan, is to use something like the philips extreme halogens, or the osram equivalent. I fitted some to my (Triumph) Spitfire 10 years ago, and at the same time fitted crystal headlights, and rigged up relays. The difference was amazing, and handy as I was doing a lot of 12 car rallies on Sunday evenings (better than the telly).
Until the LED bulbs come down in price to something I will pay, I will stick with the uprated halogens. But do buy branded.....

CosKev3

posted on 8/11/18 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The replacement complete lights have a really good light output.

You will need a friendly MOT tester with any LED lights/bulbs retro fitted though

coyoteboy

posted on 8/11/18 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have 30£ Amazon specials. They're in my tintop and they have a great light pattern, I never get flashed and it has sharp cutoffs. Amazing light output and very happy, much happier than when I tried HIDs.

Passes MOT because they don't look too closely.

[Edited on 8/11/18 by coyoteboy]

steve m

posted on 8/11/18 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
ooopps!

Have to say sorry, as I meant the bulbs, as in H2 or H4 type and in a standard headlight housing
As my car does not lend itself to the bug eye Led style of headlight, thankfully !

I was more interested in if the BULB's were better, and give a better light pattern etc than standard bulbs

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 8/11/18 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
ooopps!

Have to say sorry, as I meant the bulbs, as in H2 or H4 type and in a standard headlight housing
As my car does not lend itself to the bug eye Led style of headlight, thankfully !

I was more interested in if the BULB's were better, and give a better light pattern etc than standard bulbs

steve

CosKev3

posted on 8/11/18 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
ooopps!

steve

Your using 5.75 inch lights with H4 bulb?

If so yeah you can get LED bulbs which give out way better light than halogens,brighter and whiter

I'll try and find the link to the ones I know work well

CosKev3

posted on 8/11/18 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-9005-9006-H4-H7-H11-Car-LED-Headlight-Kit-Bulbs-8000LM-Super-Bright/123282978932?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT& ;var=423685829421&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 8/11/18 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
This is a big talking point with Land Rover owners, as the standard Lucas headlamp bowls on Defenders, combined with tea light candle power out-put bulbs are nigh-on useless. Having tried a selection of various configurations, I ended up with a set of Trucklite sealed-unit LED headlights, but they're not cheap at about £400+ per pair. I did dabble with LED bulbs, but found most of them to be pretty useless in comparison. The best "bang per buck" I got without spending a fortune was to replace the bowl unit itself, and invest in a set of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. I think LED bulb replacements don't quite cut the mustard yet....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

coyoteboy

posted on 8/11/18 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
NOVSIGHT H4 LED Headlight Bulbs Hi/Lo Beam 10000LM (2x5000LM) 60W(2x30W) 6500K Cool White - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076ZJBS6P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_a3m5Bb44RCYZA

These work a treat in H4 reflectors.

CosKev3

posted on 9/11/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
This is a big talking point with Land Rover owners, as the standard Lucas headlamp bowls on Defenders, combined with tea light candle power out-put bulbs are nigh-on useless. Having tried a selection of various configurations, I ended up with a set of Trucklite sealed-unit LED headlights, but they're not cheap at about £400+ per pair. I did dabble with LED bulbs, but found most of them to be pretty useless in comparison. The best "bang per buck" I got without spending a fortune was to replace the bowl unit itself, and invest in a set of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. I think LED bulb replacements don't quite cut the mustard yet....

The ones I've linked too work spot on in 5.75 inch headlights that people use on kitcars!

Bright white light with a sharp defined beam.

They don't work so well in dominators,they give out a nice bright white light but the light onto the road is still nigh on useless,just down to the size of the light unit

Mash

posted on 9/11/18 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec

The ones I've linked too work spot on in 5.75 inch headlights that people use on kitcars!

Bright white light with a sharp defined beam.

They don't work so well in dominators,they give out a nice bright white light but the light onto the road is still nigh on useless,just down to the size of the light unit

I have a set of night eyes in my Ford Transit, and they are great as you say, swapped them back out for the MOT just in case.

Had a set of of the Osram nightbreakers before that and they were very good too, and cheaper.

ste

posted on 9/11/18 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Here are mine, this is on main beam, they’re great. H4 replacements off eBay.

Sidelights are the LED 501 replacements from Halfords

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.