Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Abrasive for Removing Paint
Barksavon

posted on 23/12/18 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Best Abrasive for Removing Paint

Can anyone recommend the best abrasive to use for stripping several layers of paint from steel. I've got a small blast cabinet that runs at about 90psi and the abrasive I'm using isn't having much effect. I'm thinking of trying some paving sand, I think I need the most aggressive abrasive i can get.
Thanks

ste

posted on 23/12/18 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Aluminium oxide. Definitely not sand!
macc man

posted on 23/12/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have a large tub of aluminium oxide grit free if you want it. I am in Macclesfield so not too far away.
rusty nuts

posted on 23/12/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
DO NOT USE SAND IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH! I'm sure others have and have got away with it but it's not worth the risk . Have you tried a wire wheel or flap disc in an angle grinder? Or even a decent paint stripper if you can find one ? The MIG welding forum has some useful information , well worth a look.
big_wasa

posted on 23/12/18 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
You don't want sand as A) its not good for you, Look up Silicosis. And B) its wet and will just clogg up.

Recycled crushed glass Is cheap.

40inches

posted on 23/12/18 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used kiln dried paving sand in my blast cabinet, worked very well. No problem with health in a cabinet, unless you stick your head in it
Karcher sell large tubs of dry sand for use with a jet wash blasting attachment, used for removing graffiti from walls. That also works well in a cabinet.

Barksavon

posted on 23/12/18 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.
Just checked the label on my tub of grit and it's 60 grade aluminium oxide from machine mart.
Thanks for the offer of the free tub macc man, as it's already what I'm using I'll leave it, but again thanks very much.
Wasn't aware of the health issues with sand....👍👍.
Has anyone tried the coarse grade crushed glass in the small diy cabinets...Does it clog?

DanP

posted on 23/12/18 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nitromors does a great job, why not use that?
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/12/18 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
Vitrified Copper slag...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/18 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP

20 years ago it was brilliant stuff, now the H and S have had thier say its useless

40inches

posted on 24/12/18 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

20 years ago it was brilliant stuff, now the H and S have had thier say its useless

It's now crap

DanP

posted on 24/12/18 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

It's now crap

Oh that’s a shame, I last used it in about 2006 to strip and clean my engine and donor bits.

leon51274

posted on 24/12/18 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search for strippa disc, i swear by these for removing rust but they also remove paint.
Barksavon

posted on 24/12/18 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed those discs are really good, took my Austin A35 to bare metal using those.
Issue I've got is I'm trying to strip paint off some wrought iron work so getting into all the 'nooks and crannies' is a bit awkward.
Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Ian

rusty nuts

posted on 25/12/18 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Powerfile can get into awkward places as can a die grinder using carbide burrs or even a 3" wire wheel , I've even used emery roll wrapped around a file to do the job. Is it worth or practical getting a professional blaster in to do the job ?
cliftyhanger

posted on 25/12/18 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had to strip some cast iron fireplaces back in the summer.
And they were still inside a house, so no chance of using abrasive or SynStrip (just like old nitromors)
I took a punt on using Screwfix NoNonsense stripper. And it worked really well, if slow.

The tip I followed was to paint a thick layer on, and put tinfoil straight on, and leave overnight. (this would work well with sunstrip etc, as the active ingredient, DCM, evaporates very fast. Tinfol stops that so gets the stripper to get into the paint)

The old gloss paint, several layers, came off with a wire brush, and a bit of poking with a small scraper in the intricate bits. No nasty smells or dust, so a win for me.

I tried a home blast cabinet years ago, and gave up as it was so slow. I do remember fiddling with the gun nozzle length a bit, that helped, but really you need a massive compressor to be able to work at any speed. And at 90psi abrasive will probably bounce off old gloss paint.

Barksavon

posted on 25/12/18 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

I tried a home blast cabinet years ago, and gave up as it was so slow. I do remember fiddling with the gun nozzle length a bit, that helped, but really you need a massive compressor to be able to work at any speed. And at 90psi abrasive will probably bounce off old gloss paint.

Yes I think it's the lack of air power and a carp cabinet that's the problem rather than the abrasive

[Edited on 25/12/18 by Barksavon]

nero1701

posted on 25/12/18 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Agreed those discs are really good, took my Austin A35 to bare metal using those.
Issue I've got is I'm trying to strip paint off some wrought iron work so getting into all the 'nooks and crannies' is a bit awkward.
Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Ian

Why not use electrolysis ?

Barksavon

posted on 27/12/18 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Does electrolysis remove 'sound' paint or flaky and rusty stuff?
nero1701

posted on 27/12/18 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Does electrolysis remove 'sound' paint or flaky and rusty stuff?

Should take you to bare metal

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.