Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Joist hanger fixings
watsonpj

posted on 12/6/20 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Joist hanger fixings

Hi
as this is the font of all knowledge i'm hoping there are some builders that can help.

Im planning on doing a loft conversion in the future and had some flitch beams put in in preparation some time ago but ran out of money to complete. I', now putting all the floor joist in myself so I can lay the floor for the time being atleast so there is a usable space and this is all fine.
The question I have is that on my plan I have a two triple beam 175x45x 1.6m which are between the three flitch beams that i want to fit which again isn't an issue in itself but I'm not sure what to do on the centre flitch with the clashing joist hangers.
The two flitch beams need to align so the joists would normally wrap over the flitch but they cant both do that.

The only choices seem to be
1. cut one short (doesn't seem right) and only fix on the face (6 nails total)
2. Cut the first one so it runs right across the top of the flitch and lay it flat, cut the second one to run over the top of the first. Use the holes on the second to drill through the first and nail in place.

The second option would give a very strong support for both sides i would say but maybe there are some regs out there.

I have search on the internet but can't find anything about this or anything in the building regs (that i have found online).

I'm just trying to get this part way there now as the plan was to start this work this year but the current circumstances have meant it may have to go back a year or two but I don't want to have to undo a load of work.

Cheers Pete

Smokey mow

posted on 12/6/20 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Use a flanged or face fix joist hanger rather than the lightweight JHA’s which it sounds like you’re using at the moment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.