Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one know someone with/had Cov1d 19 ???
Memphis

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
Yep, my mum caught it early on in March. This was before lockdown and when the daily deaths were less than 10 per day. Her symptoms were extreme tiredness all day, no appetite, and a high temperature. No cough. She wasn't even sure if she had it to be honest, and her GP didn't seem to think it was CV-19.
Advice at the time was just to self isolate, there was no testing at that stage. So she just stayed indoors alone for 2 weeks and did not get better. Eventually the cough symptom came and breathing became difficult. She phoned her GP who called an ambulance for her. She was taken to hospital by ambulance and was able to phone me and my brother before being sedated and put on a ventilator. I think she expected to be in overnight.
She was on ventilation in an unconscious state for 6 days before she died on 2nd April.

She was a very active 70 year old with no pre-existing health conditions.

I also have a friend of mine, a 38 year old woman, who also got CV-19 early on in March. It completely drained her and she was also confined to her bed, and didn't have the energy to do anything. Her recovery has been extremely slow and she is still suffering now with extreme tiredness, weakness, and breathlessness.

That is terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
The way Covid-19 deaths are reported has been very uneven accross the Countries of the UK and the healthboard regions of England. In Scotland we got possibly the best reporting and daily situation reports. The pattern of deaths in Scotland was pretty similar to the rest of the UK with carehomes being hit hard during the early months of the pandemic.

This the latest National Records for Scotland report it shows very clearly the pattern of excess deaths since January https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/covid19/covid-deaths-report-week-37.pdf

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bluemoon

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
One friend on ours had it on a ventilator for over 10 weeks.

Another has had "long term COVID" and is still unwell 4months on.

We know of at least 2 deaths in care homes, heartbreaking as they had only just gone into care.

So yes it is real.

General cases of flu deaths have reduced during the lockdown so this may in part explain the lack of deaths... It's complicated!

Also, things like air quality are better, and that's responsible for a lot of deaths.

People have traveled less ect so there are many factors that go into this.

I suspect we will be in for a long winter as work and schools continue and the weather draws in i.e. tradtional Flu condtions of bad ventilation and close quarters.

Dan

[Edited on 22/9/20 by Bluemoon]

BenB

posted on 22/9/20 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Let's put it this way -I've got a lot less elderly patients than I used to....

And don't forget the issue isn't just the direct deaths, it's also that during the peak time admissions for heart attacks, strokes etc drastically reduced so greater mortality there too (it's not that they weren't happening, they just weren't being admitted). And cancer care has been adversely effected across the board so there also unavoidable deaths will go up. In general practice we're having to somehow manage patients without access to radiology, diagnostic testing (like ECGs etc) which obviously creates issues.... Also don't forget some deaths won't be attributed to Covid due to false negative tests. Both the PCR and the antibody tests have a fairly significant false negative rate. I know quite a few patients who clearly have had it (100% classical symptom complex) and yet tested negative.

Even if you look at excess death charts that doesn't give the full picture as during lockdown there were fewer fatal RTAs as there was a lot less driving (amongst other stuff) going. Apart from those who were concerned their eyesight had been effected..... Hmmmm.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/20 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
The whole issue of numbers of deaths gets more complex the closer you look at it. But as a very rough guide in my local authority area about 120 people die every week in a normal spring time, at the height of the first peak 180 people were dying every week. You also have to take into account that in lockdown there were less deaths from traffic accidents, industrial accidents and street violence.

[/I]

steve m

posted on 22/9/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, to my Friend of a few years Steve Rst, I am so sorry to here of your news, very sad
and i dont have any words of encouragement, because there aren't any !

Thank s for the replies, its interesting to hear a spectrum from around the country and sorry to hear that quite a few of you have had possibly in some cases this dreaded virus, At no point am i belittling the whole thing, as i am definitely not !

I am a firm believer, that something is out there, and its not nice, and to a lot of us older generation, and with other medical history, this thing is a killer

What i dont understand is the way our idiotic Govenment, have allowed this whole thing to carry on, and certainly the more intelligent people, and i include myself and family, have done exactly what we are supposed to do, we dont have parties, we dont mix, infact no one outside of our bubble has entered our house, not even the kids and grandkids, nor have we gone to the beaches, or parks, shops etc

So why are we entering what looks like a possible 6 month lockdown ??
Because retards and pondlifes dont want to wear a mask, go to the pub/club, and beaches shops etc,

So it looks like i may as well go into hibernation now, as i am bored out of my skull, i cant work, and wouldnt anyway, and what with winter just around the corner, and its getting darker earlier, this is going to be the worst winter ever,

I still dont believe we are being told the whole truth,

But please to all my colleagues keep safe

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jps

posted on 22/9/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
What i dont understand is the way our idiotic Govenment, have allowed this whole thing to carry on

They might have mishandled it, but the reality is that they can't stop it - just like they can't stop 'flu. The best they can do is try and stop it killing people at a significantly higher rate than it will anyway (either directly, or indirectly). Which is basically what they do with 'flu each year...

I have been lucky in that I know no-one who has had it, much less died from it. Seeing all the stories on here really does push home how real it is though.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/20 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Like in the rest of the UK and other countries some of the critical decisions made right at the start were wrong but in Scotland we were treated like grown ups we had daily briefings from the First Minister and Chief Medical Officer. The briefings were fact filled and questions taken and answered efficently . The rules in Scotland such as the 2 meter rule were always more on the side of caution than those from Westminster and they weren't suddenly changed with a few days. The result was our deaths came right down earlier and stayed down for longer.

[Edited on 22/9/20 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 22/9/20 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
What i dont understand is the way our idiotic Govenment, have allowed this whole thing to carry on

They might have mishandled it, but the reality is that they can't stop it - just like they can't stop 'flu. The best they can do is try and stop it killing people at a significantly higher rate than it will anyway (either directly, or indirectly). Which is basically what they do with 'flu each year...

Unfortunately the way the Government has handled it relies on people generally behaving themselves, and sticking to the guidelines.... whereas they would have been better off working to the lowest common denominator (Covidiots) and been stricter from the off. Still, life is lived forwards and can only be reviewed backwards. Anything else is guesswork.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
In general practice we're having to somehow manage patients without access to radiology, diagnostic testing (like ECGs etc) which obviously creates issues....

why's that? as I've had both xrays and two ECG's only couple of months ago (did also get one when the Ambulance came but that's another stupid my fault story...). My GP did have to send me to the hospital for them but they were plenty busy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 23/9/20 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I certainly know someone who has found a lump, been diagnosed with breast cancer, had numerous scans, started treatment, been monitored and changed treatment - all during lockdown.

My father (under a different trust) has also had scans and monitoring for a possible heart problem (fortunately ok) during the same period.

Certainly routine clinics and ops have been cancelled or delayed, but investigation and treatment of potentially serious and time-critical conditions has continued.

BenB

posted on 23/9/20 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
In general practice we're having to somehow manage patients without access to radiology, diagnostic testing (like ECGs etc) which obviously creates issues....

why's that? as I've had both xrays and two ECG's only couple of months ago (did also get one when the Ambulance came but that's another stupid my fault story...). My GP did have to send me to the hospital for them but they were plenty busy

It depends on your local hospital and your local commissioners. Our local hospital just unilaterally announced it wasn't going to offer ECGs any more and routine xrays have a waiting time of 3-6 months.... They also recently decided to close their paediatric A+E and paediatric blood testing service......

BenB

posted on 23/9/20 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
I certainly know someone who has found a lump, been diagnosed with breast cancer, had numerous scans, started treatment, been monitored and changed treatment - all during lockdown.

My father (under a different trust) has also had scans and monitoring for a possible heart problem (fortunately ok) during the same period.

Certainly routine clinics and ops have been cancelled or delayed, but investigation and treatment of potentially serious and time-critical conditions has continued.

Again it varies a lot depending on hospital and clinic. Our local breast clinic used to offer same day ultrasounds as part of the initial appt. My wife attended with a breast lump- got an USS a month later (actually she hasn't had it yet). Our local respiratory hospital (which obviously got severely effected by Covid) had to reduce all chemo profiles so alternate doses were omitted. One of my patients attended A+E with shortness of breath, was referred for an xray (which was outsourced to a different hospital), result never got sent to any one. A month later we chased it up- metastatic breast cancer..... Okay so a month probably wouldn't make a prognostic difference but when those things are happening.......

I'm not beating on the NHS- we're all at breaking point. It's just very far from "business as usual".

nick205

posted on 24/9/20 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fortunately I haven't had it or know anyone that's had it. I'm aware there's been a few cases in local care homes though and feel for those unable to visit at such times. Workwise it's been work from home since end of March this year - I'm sure the same for many.

Very unusual times!

02GF74

posted on 1/11/20 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly I'm slightly shocked to hear that a couple of you have lost close members of family, no words can make it easier but I can tell you time is the healer.

As we're about to go into second lockdown, I'm fed up of criticism from media and those in politics about the governments actions or inactions.

WTF can anyone do? Lock downs are temporary measures to relieve hospital admissions, once they are over the disease is still there and cases again ramp up. Lock downs are killing people's livelihoods but are saving lives.

Alternatively do nothing, businesses continue but people die. You could say the same people will die anyway should they be infected after lock down is over.

It's a no win situation that at the moment the government is putting priority on people's lives.

The only consolation we have is that the disease is survivable in the majority of cases, it could well have been that it was totally fatal. Not a cheery thought but the next one may turn out to be that. Anyway, enjoy your last 4 days of "freedom".

rusty nuts

posted on 1/11/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I find strange is the fact that schools and universities are not shutting, at least two of the local colleges in Cambridge have had outbreaks with multiple victims as well as loads of other universities. Breeding grounds for the virus or what?
coyoteboy

posted on 1/11/20 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely, but what government wants to be responsible for a lost generation where they pulled the schooling etc. It is political suicide to keep them shut despite the impact. Shut the schools and you stop people being able to work, and damage the children. It

I'm not sure the logic works, and I'm really not convinced there's science to back it up, I think it's just a political response. Seems like each school is a super spreading location and all other mitigations are just making up for being able to have kids in schools, not actually fighting the problem.

SteveWalker

posted on 1/11/20 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Much of schooling could have gone online, with teachers streaming live lessons and getting pupil feedback and all done to the normal school timetable, giving children a structured school week, even if at home. My children's school has done a very limited version of that, covering only a few lessons a week, when whole years were told to self-isolate.

The majority of households probably already have PC/laptop and tablets, plus broadband, that would have allowed one device per child and the government could have funded sufficient loan laptops and broadband/4G for those that did not have it.

My wife is classed as vulnerable and I have an elevated risk. She has been unable to work for a couple of years and I have been able to WFH since March, so the only big risk in our household is our three children being in school and particularly the packed, one hour bus journey each way. Unfortunately due to staggered start and finish times for the different years, me driving them and waiting around would prevent me from working and taxi fares for the six staggered journeys per day would be unaffordable, so it's the bus or nothing.

rusty nuts

posted on 1/11/20 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Even without broadband/internet most homes have a TV , lessons could be broadcast?
snapper

posted on 1/11/20 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
For those that think the UK mortality rate is no different this upset to other years...

When considering deaths registered in 2020 to date (1 January to 31 July) in England, the age-standardised mortality rate for deaths registered in 2020 was significantly higher than the mortality rate in each year back to 2009.
Looking at deaths that have occurred so far in 2020 and were registered by 8 August, 330,590 deaths occurred in England (35,123 more than the five-year average for January to July) and 20,967 in Wales (1,096 more than the five-year average).

I know personally of a couple who got it and the man of the family (big roughty toughty ex, soldier, Pridon Officer, Met copper) said it was bad, his misses was taken to A&E twice and described it as drowning in air.
Colleagues have told me about their experiences and one particular co-worker had his whole family infected (he is fit 7.6 bleep test) and said his wife and father were very unwell.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

SteveWalker

posted on 1/11/20 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Even without broadband/internet most homes have a TV , lessons could be broadcast?

That wouldn't help much, except maybe for the early years of primary school.

Different schools are using different exam boards or are at different stages in the curriculum and need different lessons. Even within schools, individual pupils are doing different option subjects, are in 14 different years and different ability sets. It'd take hundreds, if not thousands of channels to cover all the different lessons needed to fully replace a normal school day for all schools and there'd be no way for a struggling pupil to ask a question or teachers to check how much pupils are understanding by asking questions. Each teacher streaming to their own class at the normal time is quite feasible though. They can even stream from home - just as many of us working from home have had video meetings.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/11/20 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
You have to remember that many families do not have good or even any broadband far less a computer, they are still very much a luxury. Many families cannot afford for a parent not to work to stay home and look after the kids, otherwise they would not be able to pay the bills and keep a roof over their heads.

This is going to push people very deep into debt, poverty and homelessness. God knows what the suicide rate will be this Christmas but I bet it will be the highest ever recorded.

There's no easy answers here, no winners, just lots and lots of pain.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 2/11/20 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I live in an area of low incidence of Covid, North Norfolk. It has really disappointed me to see many thousands of people not from this area (yes it is a holiday area but I have never seen so many) who have not been following the guidelines for social distancing or facecoverings etc. A pity as the covid cases have climbed in line with visitors. We have avoided the holiday hotspots all year as a result and are still safe. My son, who is a teacher, and lives in Cumbria has tested positive following a pupil in class testing positive a few days ago. He seems to be doing ok but is drained of energy and has no sense of smell but no other symtoms so is isolating at home. His partner is a GP so she and her daughter are doing likewise.
I am really looking forward to the end of this awful Covid situation when it is under control and normal can resume, I hope it is soooner than later

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/11/20 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
We've got decent broadband. However I'm not sure how it would cope with all four of us doing online meetings whilst accessing online material. Luckily my kids are in primary so 'low' risk in theory and i'm happy for them to be there.

Uni students need to now stay in uni. If they come home they'll just create a super spreader event across the country.

Someone i know very well up north looks at xrays for a living. A few months ago 1 in 10 xrays were a covid lung. He says anyone who doesn't think its serious should look at the xrays he looks at. Its bad. He's now looking at 1 in 2 xrays with Covid.

He's gone from being "its ok, just be careful" and probably mixing too much through the summer to having the gates on his drive way locked. I've gone from frustrated he's not following the rules properly to concerned how worried he is.

nick205

posted on 2/11/20 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
On the original question - my youngest sister (a secondary school teacher), her husband and their 2 kids have now had COVID-19. Holed up in their house for 3 weeks. Fortunately they seem to be OK now and suffered sore throats, lss of taste and temperatures. Others will and have suffered much worse with it. Still the only cases amongst my own family and friends that I'm aware of.

I wait to see what occurs over the coming lockdown period and thereafter. No doubt here'll be an unfolding of results in the coming years when it emerges that different countries and governments chose to measurein different ways!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.