Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic cars
westf27

posted on 4/12/20 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Classic cars

Just read classic cars purchased after end of this month will attract 20% vat on top,plus if you import one,anther 10%.
Must find out if this is proper news.
So it must target classic car dealers rather than private sales ?

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/12/20 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1364826/classic-cars-uk-vat-tax-rise-costs-brexit-transition-period (not a tabloid reader, came up on google)

The 10% has been about on imported cars for 10 years.
The 20% seems to be if you import from europe. Which is logical. As we are no longer part of the EU so will now pay VAT on anything we import. Just as we have been doing with the rest of the world at present.

steve m

posted on 4/12/20 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
But if a classic car that was made in the UK, but now lived in Europe , that the tax has already been paid in the UK at the sales point, and again when imported into Europe, so it cant be taxed on its return, to the UK, as all the tax has been paid ?

Not that i am any expert on tax, but i have just won a year battle with HMRC who have effectively taxed my Father twice, although its not quite as simple as that, and i deposited a nice cheque for over 14k into my parents accounts today

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

James

posted on 5/12/20 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1364826/classic-cars-uk-vat-tax-rise-costs-brexit-transition-period (not a tabloid reader, came up on google)

The 10% has been about on imported cars for 10 years.
The 20% seems to be if you import from europe. Which is logical. As we are no longer part of the EU so will now pay VAT on anything we import. Just as we have been doing with the rest of the world at present.

I think its all part of the Brexit bonus.

More tax for the Exchequer- that's good right?

Plus fish AND blue passports!

The wins keep coming!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 5/12/20 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
blue passports made in Europe don't forget.

(i don't believe thats brexit related but i find it funny)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.